Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

Jordan King: First impressions

34 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Ofcourse! Naturally I do understand everybody has a different taste. If you don't like the landclass, vector, mesh and texture world Microsoft created, fine. Switch to an alternative, as you have done. I know which one it is :biggrin: Not directed at you personally, but the point I'm trying to make is that I very much dislike the fact a lot of comments are predominantly negative, only emphasizing things folks don't like, stressing what hasn't been changed, instead of acknowledging there have been changes for the better and that more things will change in the near and not so near future. I've said it in other posts as well; I try too look at this new project with a positive approach, I try to focus on the potential instead of shooting it down before it is even released, simply because not all issues have been addressed and the sim therefore has no right of existence.

The other side of this, is that they are putting it out here for Early Access, and they're asking for feedback. If the community only provides positive feedback, then that isn't very helpful unless it's perfect as-is.

I agree there should some balance, but if flight simmers don't ask for what they want, then they're just telling developers they're happy with the status quo. I don't ever plan to stop griping about the simplistic weather model, missing seasonal terrain, and unrealistic water colors in a certain other sim, for example. Not until they fix it. 😏

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

36 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

The other side of this, is that they are putting it out here for Early Access, and they're asking for feedback. If the community only provides positive feedback, then that isn't very helpful unless it's perfect as-is.

I agree there should some balance, but if flight simmers don't ask for what they want, then they're just telling developers they're happy with the status quo. I don't ever plan to stop griping about the simplistic weather model, missing seasonal terrain, and unrealistic water colors in a certain other sim, for example. Not until they fix it. 😏

Agreed. The entire point of us going into Early Access was to allow you guys to help shape Flight Sim World. We want to know what you do and don't like about it - constructive criticism is always welcome!

• Upvote 3

Aimee Sanjari

Brand Manager, Dovetail Games

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

HI Aimee, I was wondering if and or when you intend on answering the (MANY) questions in the OTHER thread(s)....

For us devs, of course, it's about what exactly DTG's plans are...  Though there are MANY others still unanswered..

Thanks

Colin

• Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

55 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Ofcourse! Naturally I do understand everybody has a different taste. If you don't like the landclass, vector, mesh and texture world Microsoft created, fine. Switch to an alternative, as you have done. I know which one it is :biggrin: Not directed at you personally, but the point I'm trying to make is that I very much dislike the fact a lot of comments are predominantly negative, only emphasizing things folks don't like, stressing what hasn't been changed, instead of acknowledging there have been changes for the better and that more things will change in the near and not so near future. I've said it in other posts as well; I try too look at this new project with a positive approach, I try to focus on the potential instead of shooting it down before it is even released, simply because not all issues have been addressed and the sim therefore has no right of existence.

I fully understand your point and it is a good one, of course. A positive approach can never be bad. :happy: 

I do think a lot of the initial negative reactions, including mine, are fueled by the fact that Dovetail, at least so it seemed to me, announced to bring something NEW. Quote from the very first press release "Today, it is pleased to announce that it will launch two brand new flight simulators". The press release was titled "Dovetail Games presents the flight simulators of the future". Well, the new video's clearly show it is nothing brand NEW: it is old stuff with some improvements. Of course this can be a good thing, for some at least, but it is not new. I am just stating facts (well, imho). This is a simulator of the past, not "the sim of the future". The tech is old and outdated, no matter how much money and energy you put into it and no matter how shiny you make it look. A sim of the future needs at least to be based on current tech. 

I went to other sims because I indeed didn't like the MS FS world anymore and no matter what Dovetail does with this sim, it will stay an MS FS world so... I was hoping Dovetail would surprise me: maybe that is why I am also a bit negative: that's what happens when you are disappointed. :happy:

1 minute ago, Milviz said:

HI Aimee, I was wondering if and or when you intend on answering the (MANY) questions in the OTHER thread(s)....

For us devs, of course, it's about what exactly DTG's plans are...  Though there are MANY others still unanswered..

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin!

I haven't had time to read everything on here - it's been a mad couple days! For more information on the business side of things, please email through to our third party team who will be happy to discuss details with you. I assume you already have contact information? 

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

Yes..  Though the problem with that is... the NDA I already signed is covering everything about that and I think it would be good if EVERYONE knows what the deal is... That way, nothing is hidden.

If that doesn't work for you guys, well... Ok but... far FAR less cool.

• Upvote 1

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Just now, Milviz said:

Yes..  Though the problem with that is... the NDA I already signed is covering everything about that and I think it would be good if EVERYONE knows what the deal is... That way, nothing is hidden.

Understandable, however we don't discuss the fine details of our business relationships on public forums. We feel that is the most mutually beneficial (in terms of both us and our partners) way of doing things. 

• Upvote 1

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

(That's not to say that we're not interested... just concerned about how this is going down...)

4 minutes ago, Milviz said:

(That's not to say that we're not interested... just concerned about how this is going down...)

Totally get that - shoot Simon an email and he will be happy to address your concerns :) 

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

Simmers can be a hypocritical bunch.  One second we bash DTG for using an "old, out-dated scenery rendering engine" that still uses landclass, vector roads, and rendered lighting effects.  The next second, we bash DTG for not providing enough support to the third-party developers that have kept flight simming alive all these years.

On the subject of scenery, I know just enough to be dangerous; but I can tell you that the learning curve is pretty steep.  The scenery development wizards we all know and love are relying on years of past experience and even more years of reference material to produce the highly detailed airports and "full fat" regional sceneries to which we've grown accustomed.  These scenery areas are also the primary reason that we demanded a transition to a 64-bit simulator.

Now if DTG threw out the baby with the bathwater and adopted a completely new scenery engine; think about how much longer it would take the third-party developers to come up to speed.  I'm thinking it would be just long enough for simmers to lose interest and move on to something else.

• Upvote 1

Well, a 64bit FSX:SE is better than a 32bit FSX:SE.  That alone is a giant leap forward in my eyes.  Things can be refined and added as the product matures.  I think I can honestly say, there will never be the perfect sim just because the advances in hardware and technology moves faster than development can implement it.  That is true in most industries.  If we ever have the perfect sim, only a few will able to fork out the dough for it and the hardware to store and run it.  Nevertheless, I like what I see so far and at least DTG has the cahoonas to take the risk.

• Upvote 2

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

33 minutes ago, MadDog said:

Now if DTG threw out the baby with the bathwater and adopted a completely new scenery engine; think about how much longer it would take the third-party developers to come up to speed.  I'm thinking it would be just long enough for simmers to lose interest and move on to something else.

If that were the case, we wouldn't be launching the core sim until next decade! Either that or offline mode wouldn't be supported. Or the whole world couldn't be included at launch.

That wouldn't be ideal for us- or for you guys!

• Upvote 1

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

28 minutes ago, MadDog said:

Yes, well, it is the opposite here: I lost interest and moved on to something else because the engine never changed! :cool: This is a simple matter of preference: some people like to hold on to the old because then at least they've got something to hold on to and others are looking ahead and don't mind to wait a while for things they might miss. I don't mind waiting months or a year or whatever if I know something better is coming. I rather look ahead to the future than stick to the past.

But anyway, Aerofly FS 2, just to name an example, actually IS a brand new sim and Orbx will release LOWI for it in a month or so. So it can be done without having to invent the wheel all over again. Yes, it took a while but there is more you can do with your free time than flightsimming. :happy:

2 minutes ago, J van E said:

Yes, well, it is the opposite here: I lost interest and moved on to something else because the engine never changed! :cool: This is a simple matter of preference: some people like to hold on to the old because then at least they've got something to hold on to and others are looking ahead and don't mind to wait a while for things they might miss. I don't mind waiting months or a year or whatever if I know something better is coming. I rather look ahead to the future than stick to the past.

But anyway, Aerofly FS 2, just to name an example, actually IS a brand new sim and Orbx will release LOWI for it in a month or so. So it can be done without having to invent the wheel all over again. Yes, it took a while but there is more you can do with your free time than flightsimming. :happy:

That's fair enough. We aren't going to be all things to everyone, and it's such an exciting time to be a flight simmer with four major players in the space. Competition keeps us on our toes and it's a good thing for customers. 

(On a personal level I quite like Aerofly 2 - I find it relaxing!)

• Upvote 2

Aimee Sanjari

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

2 minutes ago, DTG_Aimee said:

If that were the case, we wouldn't be launching the core sim until next decade! Either that or offline mode wouldn't be supported. Or the whole world couldn't be included at launch.

That wouldn't be ideal for us- or for you guys!

If I had the choice I would prefer (as may be clear by now :happy: ) a new engine without offline mode. Or without the whole world. There are only so much places you can fly to in a year or so anyway. But of course this is all very subjective and personal: it all depends on how you use a sim or what you like to do with it. I can also understand people trying to hold on with what they've got: I have no problems with letting go of things if needed.