Sign in to follow this  

FSX/P3D OOMs getting more and more severe

Ok first I have to acknowledge that I do know that there are more posts on VAS and OOMs than there are Kilobytes in an OOM so I do apologize for making people have to answer the same question over and over again, its just that no matter how many sceneries I disable, FSX still manages to crash and it is getting worse and worse. What made me want to actually make this post was no less than 10 minutes ago I was at EHAM with FlyTampa's scenery and whilst on the ground, in the middle of FMC preparation I get the Windows 10 error sounds. Then right after I push the throttles up for taxi, I get an OOM. I disabled Orbx NA, all of my addon airports except for the ones I was flying to and from, and all of the regions beside where I was flying. Normally, on the same settings with the same programs running, I would never get an OOM on the ground, it would always happen just before I land (It hurts to have that happen after a 9 hour flight) So is there a reason why this issue is continually getting worse for me? Also, is there any way I could at least make the OOMs less frequent by upgrading a computer component or two? 

42 minutes ago, seaniez said:

Also, is there any way I could at least make the OOMs less frequent by upgrading a computer component or two? 

No, only by lowering your settings(before we get 64bit sims). Use FSUPC to save your flight and then reload your sim before descent. This is what i do when i have high settings. For P3D set shadecache to off in nvidia CP or nvidia inspector. 

For windows 7 apply this fix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/947246/you-may-receive-an-out-of-memory-error-message-because-of-the-desktop-heap-limitation

35 minutes ago, seaniez said:

in the middle of FMC preparation I get the Windows 10 error sounds

Not sure what you mean by this.  I'm wondering if you mean the warning put out by the fsuipc.dll module indicating you are about to run out of memory.  If you have the fsuipc.dll installed, you can go to the FSX/Modules folder, click on fsuipc.txt and you will see that it issued a warning.  I use the fsuipc.dll to monitor my VAS usage (see page 16, AVSIM CTD Guide)(link in my signature or on the right sidebar).  I checked the box in the fsuipc to run a normal log file.  This file will show you how much VAS you used from the moment you clicked the FSX/P3D icon.  In your case, I think this would be a valuable tool.  It will show you how much VAS remaining when you get to the setup screen, then how much you have after you load everything.  This could be where you are losing VAS and, if so, you have something really wrong with your installation.  You could have a defective module in your dll.xml that is taking up the virtual address space.  Of course, if you check to display VAS usage on the FS Title Bar, you can see for yourself, in real time, where you are losing VAS.  High FSX/P3D settings and/or display driver settings will eat up VAS rapidly too.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You could have a defective module in your dll.xml that is taking up the virtual address space.

I attempted to install FSRecorder and I had to edit dll.xml in order for it to work (which it did not) and since then there have been a few points where something strange happens in the sim where something doesn't work (It was a few random things that were pretty insignificant) and I do have FSUIPC installed and sometimes that can mess with things like in the Milviz C310, if I wait around for a little while the rudder and yoke will be stuck turning left so I have to reload the sim and it gives me a warning that there are duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed. Anyways, I turned some sliders leftwards and I did not encounter any OOMs on the ground, but I love having those sliders in a mostly right direction. Are less than preferable graphics something I'm just going to have to live with, or should I just autosave every 5 minutes?

1 hour ago, seaniez said:

so I have to reload the sim and it gives me a warning that there are duplicate copies of FSUIPC installed.

This happens to me a lot too.  It happens when you did not have your computer time to completely shutdown everything in FSX or P3D before trying to start it up again.  I know the FSUIPC will still be running long after FSX is shutdown as the log I get from FSUIPC is still writing log.  If I open up the log immediately after shutting down FSX or P3D, I won't get the summary at the end of the log.  I'll close the log quickly and then it will complete and I'll reopen and the info is there.

Do you have your rudder and yoke programmed through FSUIPC?  Some people have had problems with that (see our Hardware Forum on Controllers). 

For FSX, I have most of my sliders to the right under the Scenery tab but not completely maxed out.  For display driver settings, I get the best graphics by using the default display driver settings for flight simulation 10.  I think video cards are powerful enough today to run the graphics in default mode.  They were not a few years ago.

1 hour ago, seaniez said:

Are less than preferable graphics something I'm just going to have to live with, or should I just autosave every 5 minutes?

I get crisp and clear graphics in FSX and P3D without high settings.  You have to let your computer CPU and graphics card "breathe".  You put too many demands for resources and you will see lots of crashes and there will no longer be any enjoyment.  I think we spend too much time on eye-candy and not enough on learning to fly.  But I have been tweaking since FS2000 looking for the best graphics.  I get it sometimes but not always.  FSX and P3D are one of those games where you cannot max out your sliders and go play like most games on the Internet.  They were not programmed for that capability.  You can do it some of the time though for a particular flight session but mostly you will see crashes and no enjoyment.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

3 hours ago, seaniez said:

Also, is there any way I could at least make the OOMs less frequent by upgrading a computer component or two

Check if you have installed one of the newest Nvidia graphic drivers 38X.XX. There are reports about high VAS comsuption when using one of these driver series. In case you want to test, uninstall the current one in use and go back to any of the latest 37X.XX driver series and see if that improves your issues.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

If there were any reported incidents of high VAS comsuption or other anomalies with a particular Nvidia driver, it would be fixed with a hotfix or in the next driver update.  I do not know how anyone can ascertain whether a particular driver is consuming more or less of the virtual address space provided by Windows.  Each time I start up FSX/P3D, my VAS is completely different.  May be higher or lower but never the same.  For instance, I just loaded FSX to the default flight at Friday's Harbor and got the following results:

Initial test:

2297 G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR
     3703 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3594472
    12359 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3553508
    22515 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3478164
    50015 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3481072
    52515 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3319216
    72640 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2812356
    82640 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2555552
    106547 Aircraft loaded: running normally now ...
   106547 User Aircraft ID 1 supplied, now being used
   107453 System time = 12/05/2017 10:08:36, Simulator time = 10:07:10 (17:07Z)
   107453 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"
   112547 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 1767324

Second test about 10 minutes later:

1547 G:\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR
     3015 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3597556
    13125 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3514088
    23140 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3478492
    33015 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3460040
    43109 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3451196
    53031 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 3133128
    63062 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2863816
    64562 Aircraft loaded: running normally now ...
    64562 User Aircraft ID 1 supplied, now being used
    65468 System time = 12/05/2017 10:18:47, Simulator time = 10:17:43 (17:17Z)
    65468 Aircraft="Aircreation582SL red"
    72984 Monitor IPC:024C (S32) = 2125040

As you can see, the numbers in Green are about the same (3KB more in second test).  The numbers in Red shows 349KB's more in the second test.  So someone might see this as an increase in VAS but it is not in reality. 

Whenever you install new drivers, your system is basically "refreshed" and not the same even if you uninstalled and reinstalled the same drivers.  So it is hard for me to see how going back to an older driver could prove they are better with VAS than the current drivers.  If I did another test and immediately changed the view when the sim was loaded, I would get a dramatically different number because changing views take up more or less VAS that increases or decreases during the flight.  I might add that if you have a brand new GTX 1080 TI which came with the latest drivers and you go back to a really old driver, it could affect the performance of the GPU.

Thanks though for the suggestion!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

7 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

If there were any reported incidents of high VAS comsuption or other anomalies with a particular Nvidia driver, it would be fixed with a hotfix or in the next driver update

Well, not so sure of that. I have not had any high VAS comsuption issue related to a graphics video driver myself, but there are some threads here on Avsim from certain knowledgeable users reporting VAS problems after updating to the newest 38X.XX series and it seems - if they are correct, which I assume is the case - that Nvidia is not correcting or not paying attention to this, probably because is not a priority for them considering the thousands of games outhere.

Thanks for sharing your findings.

Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Thanks for letting me know of the new driver update, I did not update yet, I will after my long journey I'm about to take from EGPF to KMCO, with Taxi2Gate KMCO installed. So I will save the flight just before final and see how bad the crash is before a driver update.

Alright so I solved my OOM problem for the most part, but I also need to tackle FSX crashing randomly. Usually, it happens when I tolerate it the least, like in the middle of a taxi for a large event and it ends up not being saved and then its already too late to try and restart the whole thing. So I was wondering if a better CPU would be able to handle all of the traffic and everything because this is getting extraordinarily frustrating, so much to the point that I am willing to spend the $350 for an i7-7700k.

FSX uses the CPU more than the GPU.  In previous versions (i.e., FS9), it was the opposite.  So, the better the CPU, the better FSX will work (supposedly).  See my system specs.  Just built this system.  The i7-7700K is a very good GPU mainly because it comes at 4.2GHz out of the box.  Optimized defaults or Turbo Boost is at 4.5GHz.  And I have mine overclocked to 5.0GHz.  I am currently working on updating my FSX settings to the optimal settings where things render fast.  So far they do not as I have been trying the max settings and even my super computer cannot handle FSX efficiently.  I still have to tweak my settings and have gotten things to render fast with less blurries or other anomalies.  But, I'm working with the default scenery and Orbx PNW scenery and it could be completely different in Europe.  Some of the airports in England are known resource hogs.  Too much eye-candy.

If you plan to go with the 7700K, you will also need a compatible motherboard.  The Z270 Motherboards were developed for the 7700K but the Z170 Motherboards will work.  The socket must be LGA1151 and both motherboards have that socket.  That would be about all you would need though.  All of your other hardware should work with the new Motherboard.  I get about 15-25 fps with my system in Orbx scenery.  I am trying to eliminate all jaggies, all stuttering, and all shimmering so I have to go with some high graphics card settings.   I am getting close to perfection but I'm using default aircraft and, in some cases, default scenery.  Once I get the default worked out then I will try the settings with the PMDG777. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

FSX uses the CPU more than the GPU.  In previous versions (i.e., FS9), it was the opposite.  So, the better the CPU, the better FSX will work (supposedly).  See my system specs.  Just built this system.  The i7-7700K is a very good GPU mainly because it comes at 4.2GHz out of the box.  Optimized defaults or Turbo Boost is at 4.5GHz.  And I have mine overclocked to 5.0GHz.  I am currently working on updating my FSX settings to the optimal settings where things render fast.  So far they do not as I have been trying the max settings and even my super computer cannot handle FSX efficiently.  I still have to tweak my settings and have gotten things to render fast with less blurries or other anomalies.  But, I'm working with the default scenery and Orbx PNW scenery and it could be completely different in Europe.  Some of the airports in England are known resource hogs.  Too much eye-candy.

If you plan to go with the 7700K, you will also need a compatible motherboard.  The Z270 Motherboards were developed for the 7700K but the Z170 Motherboards will work.  The socket must be LGA1151 and both motherboards have that socket.  That would be about all you would need though.  All of your other hardware should work with the new Motherboard.  I get about 15-25 fps with my system in Orbx scenery.  I am trying to eliminate all jaggies, all stuttering, and all shimmering so I have to go with some high graphics card settings.   I am getting close to perfection but I'm using default aircraft and, in some cases, default scenery.  Once I get the default worked out then I will try the settings with the PMDG777. 

Best regards,

Jim

Well I just purchased the i7-7700k about an hour ago and I'm pretty excited for it. But I went back into fsx again and just went into normal multiplayer for some reason, and without any addon sceneries, I got a win32 unhandled exception crash. I think that the crashes are becoming more and more common by the day and my last idea is to wipe my entire drive and reinstall everything. But I really do not want to do that.

53 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

FSX uses the CPU more than the GPU.  In previous versions (i.e., FS9), it was the opposite.  So, the better the CPU, the better FSX will work (supposedly).  See my system specs.  Just built this system.  The i7-7700K is a very good GPU <<<< 

Best regards,

Jim

I think you must mean GPU when you say CPU and visa versa? 

FS9 has always been dependent on the CPU primarily.  

11 hours ago, Green parks said:

FS9 has always been dependent on the CPU primarily. 

It has not.  FSX was the first that was mainly CPU dependent.

Submit News to AVSIM

11 hours ago, seaniez said:

But I went back into fsx again and just went into normal multiplayer for some reason, and without any addon sceneries, I got a win32 unhandled exception crash. I think that the crashes are becoming more and more common by the day and my last idea is to wipe my entire drive and reinstall everything. But I really do not want to do that.

If you follow my guide, you will avoid reinstalling everything.  You have to investigate the reason for your crashes.  As stated on page 10, How to Fix Most FSX Crashes/Freezes, you delete your fsx.cfg (or rename it to something like fsx.off), move or rename your dll.xml and exe.xml, and lastly, rename your scenery.cfg or disable all add-on scenery you will not be using.  Restart FSX.  Your FSX.cfg and scenery.cfg (if renamed) will be rebuilt to the default.  You reconfigure the FSX.cfg to your liking and see if this fixes your problem.  If the crashes no longer occur, then bring back your dll.xml and exe.xml files.  Run FSX again and see if the crashes occur again.  If not, then bring back your old scenery.cfg.  If the error occurs, then there is something wrong with one of the sceneries.  Most issues occur in the dll.xml with modules as they may be incompatible or not updated to the latest.  The FSUIPC module is updated frequently.  Sometimes FSX will not start up as the modules in your dll.xml are the first to load as the module is incompatible or out of date.  But I have seen where the module will sometimes load anyway and cause the error during a flight session. 

If you have any incompatible scenery or programs that were not made specifically for FSX/P3D, then that is an immediate indicator that one of those programs is the fault.  You state you disabled all of your add-on sceneries and you got a win32 exception.  Did any of those sceneries require a loading of a module in the dll.xml?  Like Couatl or the AddonManager?  I wish crashes could tell you immediately what caused your crash (and most crashes do) but doubt that will ever happen.  You have to look at your situation.  When you first installed FSX/P3D, it ran without any problems.  Then you decided to install an add-on and then another add-on and things started to go downhill immediately afterwards.  When I installed FSX/P3D, I could get up to 300 fps with default settings and default aircraft then things went south when I started adding add-ons.  So, your issue is not the fault with FSX or P3D but one of your add-ons.  It's not compatible or not installed properly or it is eating up resources that FSX or P3D needs to operate.  Having the world's fastest and most powerful computer is not going to solve that.  You have to dump the add-on(s) that is/are causing the problem.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM