Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

XP11 My new Ortho'ized world...

Flying near Syracuse, New York.

Ortho4XP, z17, read from Bi(ing), has brought XP11 alive!  Never flying any VFR flight without Ortho under the wing. Never again.  This has turned XP11 into simply, a powerhouse sim.  The best road system, with great traffic, KILLER night scenes..and mind blowing dawn, and early evening, overlayed over Ortho.  WOW!

Baron_58_1.png

Baron_58_2.png

Baron_58_3.png

Baron_58_4.png

Baron_58_5.png

Baron_58_6.png

Baron_58_7.png

Ithica, New York, at Dusk...:))))

Baron_58_10.png

Yep, have to get on the board the train and concur: since your initial post a week or so ago I've built about 8 or 9 tiles in New England (home turf), one in FL and one at LOWI. Now I can't stand flying out of the ortho-world! So thanks for getting excited and posting about it. Personally I don't like the overlays and leave them out unless I'm night flying, in which case it's simple enough to bring them in.

Oh, and I did the LOWI area in ZL17...absolutely jaw dropping scenery. 

Great stuff! Off to make more...

Cheers Mitch,

Greg       

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

20 minutes ago, Rainydaze said:

Yep, have to get on the board the train and concur: since your initial post a week or so ago I've built about 8 or 9 tiles in New England (home turf), one in FL and one at LOWI. Now I can't stand flying out of the ortho-world! So thanks for getting excited and posting about it. Personally I don't like the overlays and leave them out unless I'm night flying, in which case it's simple enough to bring them in.

Oh, and I did the LOWI area in ZL17...absolutely jaw dropping scenery. 

Great stuff! Off to make more...

Cheers Mitch,

Greg       

Hi Greg!   I just wish these pictures did the true screen output, justice...but they don't. Even then, it isn't too bad a representation.  I generated for New York, and all the states east to the seaboard. Bangor Maine is killer!  I'm having a blast...and I really do like the overlays, because they highlight the path of the freeways and other road ways so well.  And quite frankly, with the XP world looking so very real now...not to have the road traffic, and especially the killer lighting system on the Ortho...well, I'm absolutely 'done like dinner'! Enjoy your 'new' world!

Post Edit:  Since doing my KFNT (that was done with the Detroit and Flint tile generation), shooting touch and go approaches is AWESOME!  Especially if you have the z19 enhanced z-rating around all your airports) tagged as True, in the Global cfg file.  I have the KM stretch around all the airports at 2 KM's...and amazing, what you see as you shoot the descent and approach...H.S.!

Still experimenting though on personal tastes, and so might up the high res surround of all airports to 3 KM's and see if that heightens the 'visual rush'....:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Mitch

One of us!  One of us!    Mitch, I am glad you have found the world of Ortho.   That is the first thing I did when I bought XP11 was learn how to use Ortho4XP to it's fullest.  I spent an entire month covering the entire United States and parts of Canada in ZL16 Ortho then went back over all the major airports I flew to and added ZL19 to them.   It ate an entire 4TB drive but worth it.   A quick grab of my own from yesterday's flight down to Florida.   I was just jumping up and down all happy like a kid in a candy shop!

Now... there is a DARK SIDE to Ortho in XP11...  be prepared.   If you suddenly notice your entire sim take an FPS plunge down into single digits and get stuck there for 10-15 seconds about every.. 30-45 minutes or when crossing Zone tile borders.. that is Ortho4XP and XP11 having a showdown behind the scenes.   For some reason, certain tiles cause XP11 to take a FPS dump temporarily and then it goes away as if it had never been.    I thought my 1080ti with 11gigs of VRAM plus 32gigs of system RAM would prevent that from happening.  It does not.  This leads me to believe that XP11 isn't very good at paging in large chunks of terrain data.

a320neo_1.png

• Upvote 1

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

3 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

One of us!  One of us!    Mitch, I am glad you have found the world of Ortho.   That is the first thing I did when I bought XP11 was learn how to use Ortho4XP to it's fullest.  I spent an entire month covering the entire United States and parts of Canada in ZL16 Ortho then went back over all the major airports I flew to and added ZL19 to them.   It ate an entire 4TB drive but worth it.   A quick grab of my own from yesterday's flight down to Florida.   I was just jumping up and down all happy like a kid in a candy shop!

Now... there is a DARK SIDE to Ortho in XP11...  be prepared.   If you suddenly notice your entire sim take an FPS plunge down into single digits and get stuck there for 10-15 seconds about every.. 30-45 minutes or when crossing Zone tile borders.. that is Ortho4XP and XP11 having a showdown behind the scenes.   For some reason, certain tiles cause XP11 to take a FPS dump temporarily and then it goes away as if it had never been.    I thought my 1080ti with 11gigs of VRAM plus 32gigs of system RAM would prevent that from happening.  It does not.  This leads me to believe that XP11 isn't very good at paging in large chunks of terrain data.

a320neo_1.png

Thanks for tips!  Your shot is KILLER!  I mean...once you've crossed the bridge...who wants to turn around, and trace back...

Yep...once bitten by the Ortho Dog...., always, er...bitten.. :)   Over the next few weeks to months, I hope to make my 12 TB's of storage scream for mercy, LOLOLOLOL!

28 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

Yes, have seen this too, although for shorter times, I think. I don't know, I'm so dumbfounded how this looks, how I can see all the trails I''ve hiked, climbs I've done, lean-tos I've slept in through the  Adirondacks, White Mts...crap a couple of stutters is not so bad. 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

2 hours ago, Rainydaze said:

Yes, have seen this too, although for shorter times, I think. I don't know, I'm so dumbfounded how this looks, how I can see all the trails I''ve hiked, climbs I've done, lean-tos I've slept in through the  Adirondacks, White Mts...crap a couple of stutters is not so bad. 

Yeah.   For what you get it is worth the sudden loss of performance.   I put pause the sim for the few seconds until the FPS returns to my 30 locked rated and unpause and away we go for another 45 minutes or so.   I have started taking notes about when it does and where.   The east coast is the most notorious it seems for this load lag problem.   I get it alot when I am just about to enter Florida.   At least it NEVER does this when on final approach.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

8 hours ago, Kuragiman said:

Yeah.   For what you get it is worth the sudden loss of performance.   I put pause the sim for the few seconds until the FPS returns to my 30 locked rated and unpause and away we go for another 45 minutes or so.   I have started taking notes about when it does and where.   The east coast is the most notorious it seems for this load lag problem.   I get it alot when I am just about to enter Florida.   At least it NEVER does this when on final approach.

I gotta say, that z16 still looks pretty good. I think that I am going to try out some more z16, with z18 around airports and see how that visually looks. I know it will take a lot less time to generate a tile...!

I'd have to say that the lag is more so caused by the increase of OSM data that is being pushed, which is tied to overlays.  Having a high ZL with a lot of OSM data will naturally decrease performance.  Just using AIPilot's HD mesh in the LA basin will keep the frames low, and that again is due to the high amount of OSM overlay data on top of higher ZL imagery.  Our illustrious OP pointed out that having higher ZL tiles around airports and lower for the outskirts, is a good plan to have, and one I am investigating as well.  For custom ortho usgae, it's yet another aspect of striking the right balance for XP.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit