Sign in to follow this  
ark

MU-2B Mods

Since getting the MU-2B a short time ago I have been experimenting a bit with some modifications.  I expect FSW will be out with an update to the MU-2b down the road, but I am making these mods available in case any adventurous pilots would like to give them a try in the meantime. They seem to work fine, at least on my system, but use at your own risk. The modifications involve backing up (renaming) and then replacing a few files. The mods are:

1.       Flight Director alignment with the attitude indicator’s pitch/bank reference symbol.  Due to a bug in the interior model files the FD does not align as well as it should with the AI ‘green triangular’ reference symbol.

2.       The MU_2B.CAB file has been changed to make three Autopilot mods

a.       GPS capture will now  ‘hold’ out to 12NM (verus the original 2NM), and if you get outside this limit, the GPS will recapture once you get back inside 12NM. Initial GPS capture still happens at 2NM.

b.      When using the AP ALTSEL mode with either the  VS or IAS mode to capture an altitude, the AP will now switch to the ALT mode upon altitude capture. Previously the AP stayed in ALTSEL CAP with either VS or IAS activated.

c.       The ALT hold code has been updated.

3.       Attitude Indicator Color Changes

The yellow FD and green AI pitch/bank indicator colors have been adjusted for better visibility under different light conditions. In addition, the original white glide slope indicator in the AI, and brown glide slope indicator in the HSI, have been changed to yellow. 

The above mods are available here with ReadMe instructions https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhsx8itlz99hbz3/MU-2B Modification Files.zip?dl=0

Al

• Upvote 3

Hi Al,

Now THAT's what I'm talking about... The Mooooo-2 needs a little love now... I'll see if I can add some shading to the exterior textures when I get some time - it's missing and adds a great deal of bang for the buck visually to the model - the Lear has it - the MU-2 doesn't...

Two issues I'd suggest for a sanity check:

• Pitch Stability seems awfully wobbly compared to videos I've watched... No RW experience to compare - just my humble opinion...
  • Rudder Authority needs to be increased - should be able to hold centerline with rudder alone in 15 knot crosswinds... 

Thanks for all you do !!!

my_futures_so_bright_i_gotta_wear_shades

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I completely agree with both.
This is one of the aircraft I use most and it would definitely need some "love" (including some additional liveries) to step to the next level. I will try the mod and report accordingly.

About this:

b.      When using the AP ALTSEL mode with either the  VS or IAS mode to capture an altitude, the AP will now switch to the ALT mode upon altitude capture. Previously the AP stayed in ALTSEL CAP with either VS or IAS activated.

Well, this is working randomly here. In most cases the AP automatically switches to ALT after properly reaching the selected altitude. In some cases, however, it does not. One workaround I've learned meanwhile is to manually decrease the VS when getting close to the selected altitude. Obviously this is not supposed to happen in the real thing, but based on my experience it helps avoiding the risk of the AP remaining in ALT SEL CAP and the aircraft keeping climbing beyond the selected altitude.

Thank you for your efforts.

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Al,

Now THAT's what I'm talking about... The Mooooo-2 needs a little love now... I'll see if I can add some shading to the exterior textures when I get some time - it's missing and adds a great deal of bang for the buck visually to the model - The Lear has it - the MU-2 doesn't...

Two issues I'd suggest for a sanity check:

• Pitch Stability seems awfully wobbly compared to videos I've watched... No RW experience to compare - just my humble opinion...
  • Rudder Authority needs to be increased - should be able to hold centerline with rudder alone in 15 knot crosswinds... 

Thanks for all you do !!!

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

Under flight tuning in the aircraft.cfg file you will find some parameters to try adjusting to see if you can get the response you like. For example, here are some changes a friend suggested to me. In each case the values in the 'comments' area after the // are the original values. So elevator_effectiveness was reduced and pitch_stability increased, etc.

Al

[flight_tuning]

elevator_effectiveness=0.3 //0.5    6May17
aileron_effectiveness=0.5
rudder_effectiveness=1.2  // 1.0     9May171.0
pitch_stability=1.25 //0.8    6May17
roll_stability=1.25 //0.8     6May17

• Upvote 1

Hi Al,

Yep - familiar - let me try your numbers and I'll post some feedback...

It really is nice how the community jumps on these great birds...

I know Mark had real world owners on board with the development of this plane - but unless they're avid simmers - they're probably not going to provide feedback on stuff like this...

Do you know if that pilot from KMGJ is still with FSW - or did he drift off - the guy who did the training videos on the FSW products...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Thank you gents I'll try these out.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

With the relase of ver 2.4 for the MU-2B any day now, most of the mods listed above are no longer necessary. I personally still prefer making some color changes to the AI (attitude indicator) and glide slope indicators.  These changes require replacing four files in the MU-2B texture folder. These files and a ReadMe that includes some pictures of the color changes are available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m7ct0ap6kdphfze/AADoO1sPF_qCrjY7WfD-JHhAa?dl=0

Al

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ark said:

With the relase of ver 2.4 for the MU-2B any day now, most of the mods listed above are no longer necessary. I personally still prefer making some color changes to the AI (attitude indicator) and glide slope indicators.  These changes require replacing four files in the MU-2B texture folder. These files and a ReadMe that includes some pictures of the color changes are available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m7ct0ap6kdphfze/AADoO1sPF_qCrjY7WfD-JHhAa?dl=0

Al

2.4?..... mouth watering now.