Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Cold and Dark Start ?

Hi Folks,

RE: P3D

Learning my way around this plane...

Anyone manage to make a cold and dark start work correctly ? It could be me but am I missing something ? The start sequence should start with the Condition Levers in cutoff - the Ignition Switch goes on - the Starter Switch is engaged... Once this happens aren't we supposed to look for the Engine Gauges to advance to some set level - before introducing the fuel with the respective Conditioner Lever ???

The Engine Gauges never advance until after I move the Conditioner Lever forward...

Even with Cold and Dark selected - it seems both Ignition Switches are still tied together...

I get the Ignition Switch clicks even when the Ignition Switch is off and I advance the Conditioner Lever...

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Confirm you have v1.2? 

select cold & dark.  > park brake on > battery on > ignition on > left starter engage > wait for 9% RPM > condition lever to run > ignition sound starts and engine continues to spool up to 52%.

Ignition switches move only together in P3D but at least only the 'correct' ignition light illuminates.

No RPM indication with the starter engaged was a problem with earlier version (gauge showing N2 instead of N1) 

Hi Paul,

Thanks - cold and rainy day here -'have some time to mess with this - will confirm and try it again...

Regards,

Scott

Btw, concerning the 'surging'. Out of idle you can rapidly advance the power lever to around 60% (power lever position at the space between the power and lever stencils on the throttle quadrant) without experiencing any surging due to the low fuel flow.

Once prop RPM is at 2200 you can rapidly advance it further up to its limit.

Hi Paul,

OBTW - the surging issue we spoke of before - stops when you advance the throttle properly - as you stated - all good there...

LOL - talk about timing...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Paul,

Hah - yep - see the 9% now - it just happens so fast the needles are in position before I shifted the view... Those ignition switches as a pain though - when are the indicator lights supposed to illuminate ? They don't seem to come on until after the engine is started... I tried some other planes and the ignition switches do operate independantly in P3D - is this just because Carenado possibly based this on the default gauge ? Thanks...

Regards,

Scott 

The indicator lights are coming on as soon as the ignition circuit is being energized, which in case of the PA31T means, as soon as the condition lever is out of the off position.

That's why you hear the ignition sound only when the condition lever is in the run position.