Sign in to follow this  
turner112

XP11: near complete loss of control

So, looks like the echoes of XP 7, 8, 9, and 10 are reverberating...

Demo worked great. First 30 minutes or so went great, I think. 

Trouble with the Carenado Centurion, but that's not up to date for 11 yet.

Having only used XP11 for possibly an hour since, I'm experiencing all the old severe control / handling bugs popping back up-

Aircraft at idle skidding and spinning on the runway with no input, twins teetering and tilting and blowing tires and spinning and impossible to take off, the aircraft only willing to turn 20 degrees in either direction on the ground, a pause during a flight to answer the phone, resulting, when coming out of pause, to the aircraft skidding at about a 30 degree angle to its heading...

All control inputs are calibrated.

Seriously, WHAT is going on?

I also tried the demo a couple of days, again...

I had several problems configuring my controllers, and it's what I would call a simple setup. While the new GUI is very nice, I confess I really preferred the good old controller interface ...

Since I use a TS16000, Saitek Conmbat Rudder "Pro", and the HOTAS only from an old X52, XP11 get's confused about the joystick component of the X52 not being there, and assigns it's axis almost every time I start(ed) it... Eventually gave up after having enabled and disabled all axis, calibrated...

Another limitation was that I could never assign the hat switches of the X52 HOTAS to trim functions - they only allow for Hat-Up-Down-Left-Right.... and being used for view panning ... :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The ground physics for at least some planes, e.g. the Stinson, are absurd (in the opinion of this long time taildragger pilot).  The interaction with wind on the ground is unrealistic for all planes. And turbulence in the air needs at least some work. I'm new to XP, and understand these are longstanding problems, but I do hope some attention will be paid to them soon. 

The ground physics appear to me to be quite strange in particular, with little control authority and too much at the same time. It is too easy to change the lateral attitude at very low speeds with rudder (or steering), and too hard once some speed has built up, so correcting at times becomes impossible, or a hopeless chasing of inputs.  It's as if the tires have no grip at times and too much grip at others. And weathercocking is ridiculously unrealistic on the smaller GA aircraft I've been flying. 

I hope this can be addressed because some of the physics of low speed flight are pretty good, and there's nice touches of realism in the interaction of plane and ground in the transition zone. 

I'm still on the fence trying out the demo, but this issue, and the general poor performance on my less than cutting edge system (i5 at 4.4ghz and 970 4gb) is primarily what is holding me back on what otherwise is a pretty tempting flight sim.  

• Upvote 2

Has anyone bothered to file bug reports with either LR or the 3rd party developer of the aircraft's being used?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

As I understand it, it has been brought to Austin's attention numerous times.  

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Griphos said:

As I understand it, it has been brought to Austin's attention numerous times.  

To quote the highly sophisticated movie under siege 2: "assumption is the mother of all f*** ups"  ;)
when in doubt, bugreport it.  

Ben has numerous cases of bugs that apperantly everyone was aware of but not LM. Also your bugreport might be the one providing the key information.

Austin has already acknowledged he's working on the ground physics.

He started by reviewing the tyre physics model soon after the initial release of XP11.0 beta.

He also acknowledged the overdone wathervane effects, and stated he will look at it but did not guarantee to be able to fix the problem.

This theme has been also discussed along the XP10 track, through private emails involving myself, Murmur, Ben, Austin, Andrew Goldstein... and, after all, being himself a pilot, I am sure Austin is well aware of the problem.

And already in XP11, Murmur contributed with some very interesting analysis of the problem using a modified Cessna C172, under a range of ground wind values ( intensity and x-wind component ).

I believe Austin and Ben are also well aware of the overdone turbulence and wind variability impact in the present flight dynamics model used in X-Plane.

So, LR is aware for sure of this problems. When / if they'll ever get fixed, I really don't know...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

49 minutes ago, alpha12125 said:

To quote the highly sophisticated movie under siege 2: "assumption is the mother of all f*** ups"  ;)
when in doubt, bugreport it.  

Ben has numerous cases of bugs that apperantly everyone was aware of but not LM. Also your bugreport might be the one providing the key information.

Agreed, but why would LM be aware of what goes on with X-Plane? :laugh:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit