Sign in to follow this  
MaDDogz

Advice please

I have been watching froogle messing about in orbx PNG plus the seven extra ruff "bush" fields you can buy extra. This fits my simming world to a T and would really like to try it.

i have some questions before I go ahead: 

It says on their website that global is needed, but other users report that it is not needed but will look better ( so it will work without) 

i assume this is true?

also I'll add the free holger mesh for better mountain elevation.

also, can I buy another hard drive install it on the new drive and run it from there, with fsx on another drive? Im pretty sure this would be fine but I have no experience with orbx.

once I have added png to fsx, is it straight forward to revert back to standard scenery for PNG if I wanted to ,...I ask as I seem to recall global couldn't be removed after installed - again I have no knowledge of how orbx works as I have nothing from them yet. 

Thanks 

Luke

Luke Pype

Hi,

I own Orbx Global, OpenLC EU, OpenLC NA, and several of the FTX regions, but I do not have the PNG freeware product you mention. Checking the description of the PNG product on the Orbx website, it appears to be a mesh for Papua New Guinea, which will just provide better terrain definition for whatever scenerey you are using in PNG. So, while this should work with FSX or P3D default textures, it will not look that well in my opinion. I think getting Global would be a worthwhile investment and, along with the freeware mesh, will significantly improve the appearance of the region. That would be my recommendation.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Just adding to my previous response: you don't need separate drives to install the Orbx products you mention. It all depends on the capacity of your hard drive (your C drive on most systems). I have many Orbx products (see first response), as well as scores of add-on airports and aircraft, and I have it all on my C drive, using up about half of its 1.8TB capacity. It all depends on the capacity of your hard drive (which you didn't mention in your post). Good luck.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049