Sign in to follow this  
ukplane1

Negatives of F1 GTN750

26 minutes ago, BrettT said:

Yes, for example.  In FSX/P3D Mariposa-Yosemite Airport is listed as O68 and shows up that way in Plan-G and any planning software that uses this data base.  In the GTN the same airport is listed as KMPI which of course is accurate for flying for real in todays world (as opposed to 10 years ago).  There are other examples similar to this.  It is more of a nuisance when it comes to inputting the flight plan into the GTN than anything else.  In addition to this, a decent amount of the smaller farm strips/airports don't show up in the GTN even though they have a designation.  This may be a case where the airport in FSX/P3D existed 10 years ago but doesn't anymore thus not in the GTN database.   This really isn't a big deal either, just really a nuisance to those that enjoy flying into the smaller remote airstrips.  Overall it is an impressive add-on

I fly into small grass strips all the time using the GTN 650. If the airport doesn't exist in its database, it takes just a few seconds to get the coordinates of the airport and make a waypoint in the GTN and name waypoint with the airport designator. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thanks Bob,   I knew about this capability.  The thread was asking for negatives of the GTN.  I viewed this as a small one but worth noting to someone who is asking about it.  I'm certainly not whining about it :-)

Overall I think it is a great piece of software and probably at the top of the food chain when it comes to an add on GPS

I'm the OP

After looking through the thread it seems price and updatable database is the issues.

if i use the GTN750 for 2 years until i switch to P3D V5 it works out at 40 pence a week so not bad.

The lack of  updatable database is not good for online flights but i guess i just have to make minor correction and cross checks with charts.