Sign in to follow this  
Gibbage

FSW from a 3rd party perspective.

Me too... Very much so.

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

On 12/9/2017 at 11:29 AM, TheFlightSimGuy said:

@Gibbage Now that your product is on Steam and you have been working with DTG for 6 months or so, do you still feel the same? Has anything in terms of revenue or profit margin changed? Has DTG been a good partner? What things still concern you?  I would like to hear your post-release feedback. 

First, the P-40 is not my product.  Im working with another developer as part of a team.  I did only the cockpit textures, but the next few products from Blue Sky I will have much MUCH more involvement in.  I have worked with MANY other sim teams including A2A, Milviz and many others.  I have been selling my Seabee through Dovetail/FSX Steam for over 2 years now, so this is not my first product with them.  My first FSW product will be the Zenith 701, and with the P-40 to bed, I can start back up on that.  

As for working with Dovetail for the last YEAR (I met with Simon and the team last November to talk secretly about developing for FSW) things are going great.  I helped them beta test the SDK and they took my feedback very well.  They also implemented features and systems in the engine based on my feedback, and are very open to various things.  Im a VERY small developer in the grand scale of things as my team currently consists as 1, but to get that sort of attention is great, but I attribute it to my former job on the Microsoft FSX team itself ;)  

Overall, they are very eager to be part of the community and make and support a great flight sim, and I look forward to doing more work with Simon, Aimee and the rest.  Its not every day a sim team listens to not only a small developer like me, but the community in general.  

• Upvote 13

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Thanks for the input Kevin.  By the way, the 701 is looking great. I am looking forward to this one. It's on my "to buy list" for sure...

6 hours ago, switch686 said:

Thanks for the input Kevin.  By the way, the 701 is looking great. I am looking forward to this one. It's on my "to buy list" for sure...

Thanks.  Its been a long love affair.  I started the 701 last November as a quick and easy project to test the FSW SDK with Dovetail.  Its turned into soo much more.  I got help from not only a local builder/pilot, but the CEO of Zenith!  They sent me over the actual CAD data for the 701!  I even got to meet him at Oshkosh this year!  Typically aircraft are built using 2D line drawings from unknown sources and photographs.  Its not often we get a chance to use the manufacturers own resources!  The FSW 701 will be visually accurate to the MM and I dont know of many flight sim aircraft that can claim that.

• Upvote 7

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

6 hours ago, Gibbage said:

I got help from not only a local builder/pilot, but the CEO of Zenith!  They sent me over the actual CAD data for the 701!  I even got to meet him at Oshkosh this year!  Typically aircraft are built using 2D line drawings from unknown sources and photographs.  Its not often we get a chance to use the manufacturers own resources!  The FSW 701 will be visually accurate to the MM and I dont know of many flight sim aircraft that can claim that.

Yup, it's nice when aircraft manufacturers show an interest in flight sims, and shrewd too, as it is very good PR. I've never quite understood why General Dynamics never got that, what with all that Gulfstream malarkey, which is in stark contrast to one or two manufacturers who have  gone so far as to really embrace the idea. A few spring to mind: ATR, who did much to make the Flight 1 ATR-72 the excellent FS add-on it was by providing a lot of data; ATR even used to hand out a goodie bag on their factory tours which included the Flight 1 ATR-72 on DVD since it was so accurate. Similarly, Comco Ikarus, who provided flight dynamics data for the real Ikarus C42 to SIM270 when they were making an FSX/P3D version.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup, it's nice when aircraft manufacturers show an interest in flight sims, and shrewd too, as it is very good PR. I've never quite understood why General Dynamics never got that, what with all that Gulfstream malarkey, which is in stark contrast to one or two manufacturers who have  gone so far as to really embrace the idea. A few spring to mind: ATR, who did much to make the Flight 1 ATR-72 the excellent FS add-on it was by providing a lot of data; ATR even used to hand out a goodie bag on their factory tours which included the Flight 1 ATR-72 on DVD since it was so accurate. Similarly, Comco Ikarus, who provided flight dynamics data for the real Ikarus C42 to SIM270 when they were making an FSX/P3D version.

Most FSim add-ons are seated in a grey zone right now, most developers wouldn't want to pay manufacturers rights. Some add-ons would probably never get the approval, just because they could be used as training platform and would compete with the manufacturers trainers(mostly avionics manufacturers). FSW might have a good chance to make that come true, with it's purpose of being "entertainment only". DTG already have/had agreements with Boeing and Cessna. Lately they sealed some kind of agreement with Airbus (As we could see on the last Mission Pack).

I doubt Manufacters would be willing to let Professional platforms have their products without proper IP rights being payed to them.

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

1 hour ago, ca_metal said:

FSW might have a good chance to make that come true, with it's purpose of being "entertainment only". DTG already have/had agreements with Boeing and Cessna. Lately they sealed some kind of agreement with Airbus (As we could see on the last Mission Pack).

I doubt Manufacters would be willing to let Professional platforms have their products without proper IP rights being payed to them.

And with airline companies like Air France. That was an official livery in their mission pack. 

Chances are, DTG is handling this part for their 3pd community if they made the investment for something like a free mission pack. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Flight simulators have always been a grey area, Microsoft flight sims never shipped with real world livery's why copyright, Freeware developers upload livery`s do they own the copyright now,

PMDG release aircraft without livery`s why.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg