Sign in to follow this  
Moonflight

Concorde pilot flies the Learjet 35A

Hi,

Leafing through some old magazines the other day, I discovered a 1980 Pilot Magazine flight test of the 35A by Peter Duffey. Peter had an enviable career, flying an incredible variety of types including Avro Lancastrians, Yorks and Tudors, Douglas DC-3s, 4s and 7Cs, de Havilland Dragon Rapides, the Comet 1 and Comet 4, the Boeing 707, and finally became a test pilot and BA captain of Concorde. He clearly loves the little jet, finishing his review with, "Please may I have a Learjet to play with when I retire from airline flying this year?"

Anyway, if you want to read the flight test, just PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy (if my scanner behaves itself, that is!).

Paul

Hi Paul,

It sounds like he liked it - if so - its a massive contradiction to a rant someone had linked on a pilot board here previously... Personally - I can't think of a cooler looking jet - someone also mentioned that it is the absolute fastest way to get from point A to point B for the least cost per mile - hence their favor with Air Ambulances... At 6' 5" - I've squeezed myself into the cockpit once and it was an extremely tight fit... 

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Maybe it's because in real life I'm an awkward so-and-so but I seem to have a love for all things that divide opinion, particularly aircraft. The Metroliner, MU2 and now the Lear 35A. I must admit I was surprised to read those negative comments in the previously linked article written by real-world Lear pilots - I just assumed everybody loved the Lear and it lived at the top of 'cool wall' for aircraft and that was that. But then I'm not a real world pilot, so I don't have to justify my love for the Lear in any real-world terms :)