Sign in to follow this  
eelb

Anyone else still using 2D Panels?

I've tried on several occasions to become accustomed to VC's.  I just don't like them. I always feel like a handicapped person using artificial means to accomplish simple tasks. I see YouTube videos of simmers panning around, zooming in and out, and taking 30 seconds to locate one switch. I find it impossible to find one set view (even in cruise) that allows a scan where all instruments are readable, and still allows for a forward view outside the cockpit.

I've resorted to taking the modern 3D only products, making my own 2D panel bmp, and overlaying the available 2D gauges in pop-up windows. I do all my pre-flight and shut-down in VC, and the actual flying in 2D.

When I read what seems to be the overwhelming use of VC's today, I feel like a throwback from another era.  

Personally, I just create new camera view in the VC and "A" and "Shift A" to see the various instruments I need. I only ever use a 2D view when, on a rare occasion, I can't make a VC view to see what I need.

I use 2D panels on a regular basis.  VCs are OK for sitting in and looking around, when time permits and

when flying something like the C-47 version 3 that has a VC only.  @d panels are much easier on the

old eyeballs!:blink:

Edited by charliearon
why can't I edit my text???

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 minutes ago, charliearon said:

I use 2D panels on a regular basis.  VCs are OK for sitting in and looking around, when time permits and

when flying something like the C-47 version 3 that has a VC only.  2D panels are much easier on the

This is the hard way to edit my original post!

• Upvote 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Fly with the VC but love 2D panel pop ups for the overhead, throttle quad and MCP. So much easier then panning around even with OPUS camera views.

Vic green

I can really relate it this topic.

In FSX it was 2D all the way and I hated flying the 777 in VC, but now I really like VC (most of the time).

But what changed. I swapped to P3D in January just before the 747 came out and had though of changing from FSX and decided that was the right time so I only had to buy it for one platform.I used TrackIr during most critical parts and then the normal shift+mouse. In FSX the view would change during turns, but that is changed in P3D so the view goes back to normal after a turn.

I still use 2D for FMC and radios and the only aircraft I only use 2D with is FSL A320 as I find the display too small in VC. The NGX can also be a bit difficult and hard to see the displays, but is still better than 2D after I got used to VC.

Best regards

Peter Lund

4 hours ago, Zatoichi said:

Once I got EZDOK I gave up using 2D for the most part. It became unnecessary.

I've seen EZDOK mentioned before. Maybe someday I'll get the motivation to try it. Part of the problem is I'm getting too old and lazy to try new stuff. If I can't text edit something, or use FS Panel Studio to modify it, it usually doesn't get done.:ha:

7 hours ago, charliearon said:

This is the hard way to edit my original post!

8 hours ago, charliearon said:

when flying something like the C-47 version 3 that has a VC only.  @d panels are much easier on the

I relate. Buying bigger and bigger monitors is getting expensive!

• Upvote 1

Always virtual cockpit, but 2D for anything when available.  

I'm a fairly new Chase Plane user, so perhaps I'll eventually move away from it, but honestly I only got the camera for those aircraft that don't have 2D panels.:smile:

As for TrackIR, tried it and didn't like it.  I just found it too difficult to focus adequately using progressive lenses..

BTW, the same was true with RW flying also.  I had to lose the mid-range portion and go with conventional bifocals.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

1 hour ago, eelb said:

I've seen EZDOK mentioned before. Maybe someday I'll get the motivation to try it. Part of the problem is I'm getting too old and lazy to try new stuff. If I can't text edit something, or use FS Panel Studio to modify it, it usually doesn't get done.:ha:

At this time most addons actually work well with EZDOK. There were in the past issues between the cameras overwriting each other.

As to new tricks, I am with you...however. It is intuitive and easy to use. It almost feels like head tracking. If I need to see a dial or position of a knob by using the arrow keys I can look anywhere within that aircraft - or outside. I know many people use it to create dramatic views for videos etc.

I just use it as an extension of my eyes. 
When I am on final and I can push my seat forward and up to see everything I need for a great touchdown I can't stop smiling.
"This is great."

Hi,

I always use 2D panels. I have modified these to my expectations and I copy them to the airplanes I want to fly.

If 2D panel does not work the aircraft is deleted...

I use 3 monitors Mon1 in 2D panel, Mon2 is Spot view, mon3 is for Plan G.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64