Sign in to follow this  
mike4

cheap laptop

HI

while traveling I'm looking for a real cheap laptop. Would a i3 with a integrated Intel 520 be ok to run xp11 in low settings? How much ram i need? Basically I only need to test stuff not fly a lot.

Thanks

I would say just barely, even on lowest settings. My Macbook Pro laptop, which has an i7 and an NVidia 750GT can barely run XP11. Even if I run on very low settings, it still performs pretty bad (Around 10-15fps). However XP10 runs quite nicely, even on max settings.

Nope, definitely not cheap, but my point was that even a laptop which has an i7 and an NVidia 750 doesn't run XP11 very well at all. So, aiming for something much lower specced (and non-Apple will almost certainly be cheaper) will not get you very far. But for testing things, my macbook is perfectly fine and I use it all time.

The important thing is getting a decent graphics card for your budget, so try to avoid one of the integrated ones. The laptop you've given in question is very low specced, has a slow CPU, and not enough RAM and I can't imagine you'll get much out of it in X-Plane. Nowadays, it's easily possible to pick up a decent laptop, and even a 750 should be fine for your purposes if you have a hunt around (e.g. My g/f has a Samsung laptop with has an i5 and dedicated Nvidia card, and it can run FSX, XP10, and it didn't cost much, around 400euro)

As the docs say, it's borderline, but my experience with XP11 says it will probably be unflyable :biggrin:

http://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-system-requirements/

I hate to say it but Tony is right. According to the specs of the laptop you are looking at, it's not going to run XP11 very well at all.  It has a low voltage cpu, only 4gb of RAM, with a low end integrated graphics feature.  Your insistence that it simply must run Xp11 on lowest settings may still be a stretch.  I would have advised you download the demo to check it out, but since you are actually in the market to purchase the laptop first, it just seems a bit risky to buy it and find out that it won't run Xp11 well at all.  Since you mentioned that you only needed it to test stuff, even for that, this laptop may not provide what you need.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

ok thanks for the feeback. I'll ask if they could install xplane while I go shopping. if it runs, I take it else not.