Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Allow Indexing

Guest cseidel

Can someone explain what checking or unchecking Allow Indexing Service does. I unchecked this item and ran FS9 and it made my stutters from barely noticable to very noticable. This seems backwards from what I have read, although I have never read exactly what this does.Chuck

Guest neilb

Its something that index's file properties which allows for faster searching.I always disable it. And I'm very suprised it would slow MSFS down.

Maybe with it disabled everytime FS9 needs a file it has to find it all over again?Just an "uneducated" guess.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest cseidel

I appreciate your help sofar but am still looking for someone who can fully explain what it actually does.Chuck

Indexing is a service used by the windows 'Search' function. It is not used by other applications. The function uses a fair amount of memory, and system resources, when file updates occur. It will impact other applications performance for that reason. If you want to know a lot more about it, do a Google on 'Windows indexing service'.DJ

As ubersu said, the Content Indexing Service helps with the search function ("Find Files..."). If you don't do a lot of file searches, then I recommend disabling it. I have never heard of turning CI *off * causing stutters. If anything it should decrease a disk-access stutter because with CI turned off, the hard disk will not randomly index itself when the system is idle. With CI turned on, the hard disk will occasionally do a content-indexing operation and of course, any time your hard disk is working, it slows the system a bit, since the hd is the slowest part of the equation. Your stuttering must be caused by something else.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB