Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

20 years on and Prime Meridian problem still exists

1 minute ago, SierraDelta said:

I have never noticed this. A few moments ago I passed the meridian in the FSL A320-X on a BPK departure on my way from LHR to CPH and there was not the slightest of stutter to observe. 

That departure takes you well north of central London. I'm not saying it happens everywhere where the prime meridian runs. Also, you're at least 3000ft up. It may not be as easy to see.

Load the Cub, go to Rwy 28 at EGLC, slew up a few hundred feet and move westward. It happens for me, it should for you and all P3D users.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Many years ago there was a utility that could read BGLs and show the lat/lon they covered. Maybe that is still available in the Library.

The BGLs around EGLC won't cover 360 degrees of course. They'll either be 0-1 degrees east or 0-1 degrees west.

Ray I mean like a wrap around underground which overlaps where they touch ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

44 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Ray I mean like a wrap around underground which overlaps where they touch ...

Sorry, I don't follow. Why would there be any scenery underground? There are layers of course but the bottom-most would still be located in the surface of the earth. I don't see why there would be any overlapping but without the tools to check we're just guessing.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Steve,

I'm surprised you can't replicate this at EGLC. During my AM testing I slewed across the PM every time and every time I had the same problem. I only went east to west and so far I haven't tested the problem elsewhere.

The problem of testing 180W/E is finding an airport close enough so you don't need to slew for very long. But anywhere in the Pacific close to it is not going to have complex scenery. London is unique.

I've slewed and I've flewed back and forth across 0 right over the city, tried starting from saved flights and going in from the menu and seen nothing.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I've just checked again using the default Cub. Approaching from the east the stutters are very obvious. Once past them in the western hemisphere I rotate the aircraft 180 degrees and head east. Still very noticeable.

I also slewed the aircraft to 52.30.00N and tested it there. You have to watch more carefully but the stutters are still present. In normal circumstances you would never spot them. Only in London are they obvious because of the number of objects present.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have noted a stutter when approaching the Canary Wharf buildings after departure from Runway 27 at London City airport (in P3D v3.3.5). However, I had assumed that it was because of the detailed scenery that I have active in the area (UK2000 London City Xtreme/UK2000 London Heathrow Xtreme/UK2000 VFR Airfields Volume 1/Aerosoft VFR London X), and the high density of AI planes that I have operating at all times.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Ray!

I think it urgent that you report this bug to LM. Otherwise we may miss their adjacent new release:dry:

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I've even tried with/without weather over London and at several places down to North Africa, graphs of frame rate show no anomalies.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Just made some circles over London coming from different sides. No issues here...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

15 minutes ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Hi Ray!

I think it urgent that you report this bug to LM. Otherwise we may miss their adjacent new release:dry:

Done this morning. No response as yet.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, SteveW said:

I've even tried with/without weather over London and at several places down to North Africa, graphs of frame rate show no anomalies.

Please try with these values:- height 1500ft, heading 250-260. Speed 240kts. Do it in slew mode, not normal flying. I can reproduce it every time. I'm baffled you can't. I can see it with clear skies so it's not related to wx or addon scenery as all I have in that area is FTX Global, Ultimate Terrain Europe X and Aerosoft Heathrow Xtended. No EGLC scenery.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

52 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Just made some circles over London coming from different sides. No issues here...

Try it in slew mode. Details in post to Steve.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Gatwick is west of the meridian, Clacton is east. Easy to check - press Shift+Z to show lat/lon top right.

Had a closer look. My stutters always happen well on the east side on the northbound leg of the SID, not when I cross the meridian. Can't recall any significant stutters when doing that, but I'll keep an eye out.

Andre

• Upvote 1

So there is stuttering in London, a detailed city coupled with add on scenery AND it just so happens it sits on the Prime Meridian. Thus we have a mysterious cause and effect that has plagued FSX/P3D for a generation???

You could turn scenery density and autogen to their lowest levels, along with deactivating any extra software active and test again. Then come back and tell us if there is some mysterious bug or not. Or you could test in Africa near an airport to see if there's some glitch along the Prime Meridian.

Myself, I blame the area and it's contents. Which I wager would generate stutters no matter the Lat/Lon.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Pease_W said:

So there is stuttering in London, a detailed city coupled with add on scenery AND it just so happens it sits on the Prime Meridian. Thus we have a mysterious cause and effect that has plagued FSX/P3D for a generation???

You could turn scenery density and autogen to their lowest levels, along with deactivating any extra software active and test again. Then come back and tell us if there is some mysterious bug or not. Or you could test in Africa near an airport to see if there's some glitch along the Prime Meridian.

Myself, I blame the area and it's contents. Which I wager would generate stutters no matter the Lat/Lon.

Instead of suggesting I do all that why don't you? You seem interested enough to post your thoughts. Try the scenario I posted in my first message and let us all know if you see it or not.

I've seen it well away from the capital and it's still there but less pronounced.

I have no similar stutters whilst slewing over central London that are anything like as severe as those.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather