Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

20 years on and Prime Meridian problem still exists

Back in the days of FS98 - 20 years ago - the sim would stutter as you flew over the Prime Meridian in London. With all the advances in flight sim since then I'm really surprised the problem is still there in P3D.

I noticed it when slewing across London when testing performance in P3D v3.4. After slewing up to 1500ft at Rwy 28 at London City airport I increased speed to 240kts and started to move towards Canary Wharf. As I approached the buildings P3D stuttered really badly for a couple of seconds. I wondered what could be causing it but finally the penny dropped.

The aircraft is crossing the Prime Meridian. I remember FS98 (and maybe even earlier versions) having this problem but I would have thought it would have been solved by now. Looks like the same basic engine is driving P3D as drove FS98 and probably all versions since.

It won't happen just in London of course but anywhere where you cross from one hemisphere to the other. Anyone else noticed this?

• Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Funny, I always just put this down to London being a performance hog. Interesting......

• Upvote 1

I would report this bug in the LM forum. It may help them fix it for the next version.

I will report it but it may be down to the design. If Microsoft couldn't fix it in 3 versions after FS98 then maybe it's not a bug but a feature.

Maybe it only happens in London with the complex scenery. Easy enough to check. Just find another airport close to the PM and fly or slew over it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Back in the days of FS98 - 20 years ago - the sim would stutter as you flew over the Prime Meridian in London. With all the advances in flight sim since then I'm really surprised the problem is still there in P3D.

I noticed it when slewing across London when testing performance in P3D v3.4. After slewing up to 1500ft at Rwy 28 at London City airport I increased speed to 240kts and started to move towards Canary Wharf. As I approached the buildings P3D stuttered really badly for a couple of seconds. I wondered what could be causing it but finally the penny dropped.

The aircraft is crossing the Prime Meridian. I remember FS98 (and maybe even earlier versions) having this problem but I would have thought it would have been solved by now. Looks like the same basic engine is driving P3D as drove FS98 and probably all versions since.

It won't happen just in London of course but anywhere where you cross from one hemisphere to the other. Anyone else noticed this?

Wow Ray, you should get some special recognition for this. :happy:

I never would have guessed in a million years that this would be the culprit.  Like others, I've had stutters in that region as well, but like everyone else, I chalked it up to being in a dense metro area.  This also raises the question of whether ALL simulators would be affected by this?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

You should see what happens in the bermuda Triangle. :blush:

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I went east and west across the prime meridian several times in both directions at several Latitudes of varying scenery in repeated tests and recorded no changes other than a shift in the stars location at night. Have you tried the prime antimeridian?

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Interesting observation. I always thought it was something to do with one of the autogen buildings near the London City airport. I will have to do a few more checks in a few other locations and see what happens.

Interestingly a lot of major cities fall into a meridian. Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid, all have major performance issues. At least for me.

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

I went east and west across the prime meridian several times in both directions at several Latitudes of varying scenery in repeated tests and recorded no changes other than a shift in the stars location at night. Have you tried the prime antimeridian?

Steve,

I'm surprised you can't replicate this at EGLC. During my AM testing I slewed across the PM every time and every time I had the same problem. I only went east to west and so far I haven't tested the problem elsewhere.

The problem of testing 180W/E is finding an airport close enough so you don't need to slew for very long. But anywhere in the Pacific close to it is not going to have complex scenery. London is unique.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, RancidViper said:

Interesting observation. I always thought it was something to do with one of the autogen buildings near the London City airport. I will have to do a few more checks in a few other locations and see what happens.

Interestingly a lot of major cities fall into a meridian. Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid, all have major performance issues. At least for me.

But those cities don't straddle the Prime Meridian. It's the change from one hemisphere to another I believe is the key. I think there's a lot of scenery files being loaded as you cross it and together with the complex London scenery that is what is causing the stutters.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am not an expert , but might it be that there is a little overlap from start and finish, so underground/object are being calculated twice : eg 0 and 360 degrees

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 minutes ago, GSalden said:

I am not an expert , but might it be that there is a little overlap from start and finish, so underground/object are being calculated twice : eg 0 and 360 degrees

Many years ago there was a utility that could read BGLs and show the lat/lon they covered. Maybe that is still available in the Library.

The BGLs around EGLC won't cover 360 degrees of course. They'll either be 0-1 degrees east or 0-1 degrees west.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Very intersting. I always get stutters right about there when I fly the CLN SID out of EGKK. Does that match these findings? 

3 minutes ago, andreh said:

Very intersting. I always get stutters right about there when I fly the CLN SID out of EGKK. Does that match these findings? 

Gatwick is west of the meridian, Clacton is east. Easy to check - press Shift+Z to show lat/lon top right.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have never noticed this. A few moments ago I passed the meridian in the FSL A320-X on a BPK departure on my way from LHR to CPH and there was not the slightest of stutter to observe. 

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models