Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

20 years on and Prime Meridian problem still exists

May I make a suggestion. I would try it myself if I was setup but I am not currently.

1. do the flying back and forth perpendicular to the meridian making 180 degree turns but instead of crossing it just fly as close to it as you can get without actually crossing it such that its close to being a tangent to your course as you can get without being on or over it. see if you get stutters.

2. set up your autopilot to fly a course right along and on the Prime Meridian for a few miles and see what kind of stutters you get.

If you get no stutters with scenario 1 and constant stutters with scenario 2 I would say you have a strong case for blaming the Prime Meridian.

11 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Load the Cub, go to Rwy 28 at EGLC, slew up a few hundred feet and move westward. It happens for me, it should for you and all P3D users.

Multiple posters have mentioned it's not an issue for them (myself included) and yet you seem unswayed. Couple that with the fact that you claim you mainly produce this problem with these very detailed set of parameters and when others offer their observations or an alternate scenario you remark "you have to set it exactly as I have" and it seems more like this is an issue with the scenario you are running and not the sim as a whole. 

Dave,

The problem doesn't bother me. I only raised it because I remember having exactly the same problem decades ago with an earlier version of FS. But if you want to fly it and report back I look forward to reading your report.

Stefan,

It's not really an issue for me either but if people want to see if their own systems can reproduce it I gave the settings that reproduced it for me. I'm sure a slower of faster speed or a different altitude or heading would still produce the same stutters.

It's definitely related to the sim. The fact I can recall exactly the same issue 20 years ago is proof. For me at least. If London City airport wasn't located so close to the meridian we might never have found it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I experienced the same stutter when passing the Canary Wharf buildings as I climbed out from London City airport last night. However, it was only after I decided to reduce the number of objects being displayed by Aerosoft VFR London X (after I had completed the test flight) that I noticed that the Aerosoft version of London City airport was still active underneath my copy of UK2000 London City Xtreme! I had wondered why my framerates at this airport seemed to be even lower than normal when I was taxiing out to the runway, so I need to check this again.

For the record, I have decided to remove the Extremely Dense and Very Dense BGL files from VFR London X (I did this in FSX, so I know what to expect), to give myself a bit of breathing space around such a dense scenery area. I noticed the Aerosoft London City airport BGL files when I was doing this, so they have been booted out!

• Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've not been able to record any issues regarding the PM in FSX/P3D other than the starmap can change in certain circumstances. The AM has extra coding in the sim with respect to the 'reality bubble' and AI but even then I recorded no anomalies with respect to crossing, flying or slewing around nearby these meridians. FSX and P3D are coded differently to FS9 with respect to global locations so there's not an algorithm carry-over either. I think it's just going to come down to the scenery that happens to be nearby the slewing craft and reminds one of experiences with older sims around these meridians.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I get this cruising over London approaching CLN and once I pass it goes away. Very bad 5 second pauses within 5-10 miles of CLN and once I am outbound, the stutters and pauses go away. This is at cruising altitude FL330 and above. I thought it was an Orbx Vector or OpenLC Europe problem interesting that this is passing a time zone if that is why.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

I get this cruising over London approaching CLN and once I pass it goes away. Very bad 5 second pauses within 5-10 miles of CLN and once I am outbound, the stutters and pauses go away. This is at cruising altitude FL330 and above. I thought it was an Orbx Vector or OpenLC Europe problem interesting that this is passing a time zone if that is why.

If you're within 5-10 miles of CLN then you're nowhere near the meridian. Sounds like a different problem. If you want to check it again press Shift+Z and note your longitude when it happens.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Time zones are very well defined in the sim, +/- 7.5 degrees about the PM and half way across the English Channel.

12 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If you're within 5-10 miles of CLN then you're nowhere near the meridian. Sounds like a different problem. If you want to check it again press Shift+Z and note your longitude when it happens.

Well you said London, and I would be cruising over London approaching CLN VOR. I think it is CLN. It's the VOR to the north east of EGLL. I'll have to check next time I fly a route over London.

4 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

Well you said London, and I would be cruising over London approaching CLN VOR. I think it is CLN. It's the VOR to the north east of EGLL. I'll have to check next time I fly a route over London.

The VOR to the NE of London is LAM, a long way from CLN which is near the Essex coast.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just now, Ray Proudfoot said:

The VOR to the NE of London is LAM, a long way from CLN which is near the Essex coast.

I am confused it might be BPK or BIG. I only remember being over the city on an airway approaching one of the VOR's.

Weird I cannot edit my post it opens a blank window without my message in it! I think I recall this stuttering and 5 second freezing only occurring when flying east, not west. I will try and plan a flight from Amsterdam to America over London this weekend.

2 minutes ago, 777200lrf said:

I am confused it might be BPK or BIG. I only remember being over the city on an airway approaching one of the VOR's.

If you were approaching BPK from the east then yes, you will have crossed the PM shortly before. BIG is east of the PM so you would have to be approaching from the west.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

If it is dependent on direction of travel across the PM then I would say it would seem logical to deduce that a scenery area is going to be loading as we approach it, but from the other way it is already loaded.

1 minute ago, SteveW said:

If it is dependent on direction of travel across the PM then I would say it would seem logical to deduce that a scenery area is going to be loading as we approach it, but from the other way it is already loaded.

I had no airport scenery activated just OpenLC Europe. I also had this issue before OpenLC Europe that is why I thought it first was Vector/Global.