Sign in to follow this  
bbuckley

NORCAL performance

I have FTX Global, Vector and NA LC installed.  I just bought KMRY and didn't realize that NORCAL was required for full features and proper elevation.  My bad...  So I'm quite willing to buy NORCAL but I'm worried about performance (system specs below). 

What is your experience with NORCAL in addition to FTX Global, Vector and NA LC?  I've heard a lot of performance gripes with SOCAL. 

If I could just get the elevation issues fixed, I'd probably skip getting the region, but I've tried AEC enabled and disabled and there are plateaus and trenches etc either way without NORCAL.  Is that fixed by installing the region?

Thanks!

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

NORCAL (as well as all of their regions) are well worth it. You shouldn't have performance issues with your system. I used NORCAL with all of the airports with a system slower than yours and only had low fps around the big cities, but even then it was serviceable. 

27 minutes ago, bbuckley said:

I have FTX Global, Vector and NA LC installed.  I just bought KMRY and didn't realize that NORCAL was required for full features and proper elevation.  My bad...  So I'm quite willing to buy NORCAL but I'm worried about performance (system specs below). 

What is your experience with NORCAL in addition to FTX Global, Vector and NA LC?  I've heard a lot of performance gripes with SOCAL. 

If I could just get the elevation issues fixed, I'd probably skip getting the region, but I've tried AEC enabled and disabled and there are plateaus and trenches etc either way without NORCAL.  Is that fixed by installing the region?

Thanks!

With your system, and since you are still running DX9, I would also recommend investing in Steve's DX10 Fixer and run with DX10.  Just a thought.  FTX NCA will not cause any problems with your system as is.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Have no performance problems with NorCal, except around San Francisco, and my system is not as powerful as years. However, I am flying P3Dv3 not FSX. It's a great scenery (so is SoCal) and would recommend you get it.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Thanks all!  I went for it today (on sale) and in just a quick test around KMRY everything looked great and no performance issues.  I'll take it for a longer flight tonight, but I really appreciate your inputs!

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11