Sign in to follow this  
Guest MJ

Mega Scenery Pacific Northwest?

I do most of my flying in the Pacific Northwest and thought that this might be a worthy addon to improve my scenery. When I looked into it before I noticed there was no autogen scenery. However, then I looked at my settings and I don't run a lot of autogen scenery anyway. So my question(s) to all of you that own this scenery package is:What are the frame rates like?How high do you need to fly so it is not a blurry mess?I have a lot of Georender sceneries and the Fly Tampa Sea-Tac, will Mega Scenery blend seamless?Does it look odd when there is no autogen and yet there is scenery/Any other input and opinions would be very helpful in the desicsion of purchasing.Thank you everyone.Kevin

What kind of machine do you have?Mega Scenary PNW is good... It also depends on how fast you fly. If you fly GA type planes and you have a reasonaly good machine..cand clean HD, then you should not have blurries.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have a modest computer. ATI 9500 126MB card, 1GB ram. Hard drive is cleaned and defragged regularly.I am able to run addons like Fly Tampa and Flightzone sceneries with pretty good frame rates. Plus I use the PMDG 737 and LevelD 767 with no problems.

Guest sssummer

>I do most of my flying in the Pacific Northwest and thought>that this might be a worthy addon to improve my scenery. When>I looked into it before I noticed there was no autogen>scenery. However, then I looked at my settings and I don't>run a lot of autogen scenery anyway. So my question(s) to all>of you that own this scenery package is:>>What are the frame rates like?>Frame rates are higher than default>How high do you need to fly so it is not a blurry mess?about 4,000 AGL or higher looks nice>>I have a lot of Georender sceneries and the Fly Tampa Sea-Tac,>will Mega Scenery blend seamless?I dont have Geo but I remember reading somewhere a fix was out to enable a seemless fit. Fly Tampa its perfect.>>Does it look odd when there is no autogen and yet there is>scenery/You can use autogen with Mega if you want. It looks great either way.>>Any other input and opinions would be very helpful in the>desicsion of purchasing.I highly recommend Mega PNW. If you like to fly jets though you will get some blurries depending on how fast your system is. >Thank you everyone.>>Kevin

Guest BG52

I also fly in the PNW but this scenery for some reason does not show the greenery you would expect. My first response was, "Wheres all the green". I wondered if the developers had actually looked at nay pictures. Sad because the rest is good stuff.Bob

Guest Bell206freak

I have Megascenery Pacific Northwest, and in fact was one of the first to place an order for it. It is the most accurate title for the area as every landmark, road, and other feature that the coverage area is known for is accurately depicted.I have no FPS issue with the scenery because I have discovered that photoreal ground scenery files fly just like flying over repeating landclass tiles. I have a modest system with an AMD K6 processor and 1GB memory and my FPS usually sits roughly between 15-25FPS depending on the area I'm flying in.As for autogen, it is nice but is inaccurate in some areas. I still fly with it, though - and maxed out to the fullest density.I do not recommend flying anything other than VFR aircraft in any Megascenery title - including Volume 4: Pacific Northwest, for a number of reasons. The first reason is that scenery packages such as Megascenery Pacific Northwest are developed with the VFR sim pilot in mind, and they are designed for VFR flying within Flight Simulator. The second reason is that at flying at heights (and speeds) of the jumbo jets (i.e. 25-35,000 feet and close to 300kts), the scenery tiles get washed out by the mip-mapping process, making the scenery blurry and the end result is that the end-user doesn't get to see all of the features shown by the high-resolution satellite imagery. And the faster you go, the faster the scenery engine has to work, causing an enhanced load on the processor resulting in the well-known issue called the "blurries."

There is a tip about doing a special defrag on your hard drive with O&O Defrag in this post.http://www.pcaviator.com/megascenery/forum...p?showtopic=892Doing this makes a huge improvement with the megascenery titles. If you do this and set up your graphics settings like they suggest and have a decent machine should be ok with flying jets. Works fine for me anyway.Matt

Guest GA_simmer

I wasn't impressed with it myself. The autogen trees are deciduous which in the Pacific Northwest looks rather odd to me lol. They are also very sparsley placed. I found the terrain went blurry after a very short while (even with their recommended settings), it takes a long time to load (even using their megabooster software), There are only 2 seasons - summer and winter, and winter looks rather awkward. Some people love it, I wish I could get a refund. There are just too many limitations to this type of scenery for me, I prefer scenery like Misty Fjords and Vancouver+ myself.

For autogen use forestration v1.0 to be found at fsnordic.net or finntrees also found there. They are specifically designed for nordic territory. Also try TweakFS (shareware with trail) which had several settings for scenery. I'm very happy with PWN and it looks real to me compared to photo's of the area.PS Bell206freak when is your enhancement coming. It looked great but haven't heard anything lately :)Best!Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Flying.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest MJ

The mega scenery does have autogen but it is not as dense or as accurately placed as on the custom Birdseyeview textures for example.The mega pacific NW scenery is perfect for GA flying and fits in very well with FlyTampa's KSEA. Like most photo sceneries it looks best from 2000 feet upwards.Here's a link to a movie I made a while back that will give you some idea of how it looks. It's not an 'all action' movie though so sit back relax and enjoy.http://www.mikejgolfdesign.com/gliderwash.wmv