P3Dv4Pilot

VERY Bad Reviews so far on Steam

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Liked what I've seen in the streams so far !

Wonder what streams you watched then... :happy: But seriously, I do hope you like it. I am looking forward to your first reactions.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

13 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

While I've watched this product hyped beyond belief for weeks now it seems logical there would be some disappointment... It is an early release so DTG should be cut some slack because they didn't advertise it as a finished product...

On the other hand - as an avid Train Sim guy and familiar with DTG's performance with that community - don't hold your breath for a study level sim... DTG in the Train Sim community is known for making pretty things - not good physics - not good operation -  not realistic systems - not the attention to detail required by many of us here...

If past experience is any indicator of future results - I don't think this is going to be the replacement simulator that many of you hoped for...

Regards,
Scott

Sounds quite logical to me...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Folks,

While I've watched this product hyped beyond belief for weeks now it seems logical there would be some disappointment... It is an early release so DTG should be cut some slack because they didn't advertise it as a finished product...

On the other hand - as an avid Train Sim guy and familiar with DTG's performance with that community - don't hold your breath for a study level sim... DTG in the Train Sim community is known for making pretty things - not good physics - not good operation -  not realistic systems - not the attention to detail required by many of us here...

If past experience is any indicator of future results - I don't think this is going to be the replacement simulator that many of you hoped for...

Regards,
Scott

This has nothing to do with Alpha or Beta, it looks like I expected, a typical Dovetail product, large on eye candy, and low on reality. On a live stream I was just watching I saw FPS hovering around the high teens with default scenery and a single engine aircraft, You put a PMDG type aircraft and a couple of add ons, and you most likely will see single digit FPS. Don't think Avsim members will flock to this sim. 

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, just arrived home, prepared to hit the buy button and go through the install process :-)

Liked what I've seen in the streams so far !

Seriously? Its been slated on the streams I have seen. Check out Matt Davies....... its effin awful.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, just arrived home, prepared to hit the buy button and go through the install process :-)

I've spent some time flying around and I like it so far. It is very FSX-like as others have mentioned, but it does perform better for me and the default aircraft and UI are nice. I couldn't find a way of choosing my own weather, but I presume that will come in a future update.

• Upvote 1

I paid nothing for it...and I got my money's worth.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Based upon the pedigree some of us never thought so in the first place...

I will surely post what I think about it, as soon as it get's installed...

It'll take it's time since I have a slow DSL home internet connection, to contrast with the 100GBps I manage at work :-)

After dinner, maybe, it'll be ready for testing, will make a couple of flights and report back.

My machine isn't up to the recommended specifications though, so I fear I'll have to set the sliders down...

Hmm... interesting comment from Mathijs over at Aerosoft (I won't bring the full post here. Head over there and read the rest...)

"First of all simple facts. There is no SDK, no Simconnect and only XML aircraft are possible. So even if we would be willing to start on making things compatible, it is simply impossible to make any complex aircraft. Even C++ is currently impossible. So any aircraft could only do what the default aircraft do. For scenery things might look better, we are not sure about that, but without an SDK and knowing what the new engine can do it makes just no sense to spend time on it.

..."

I don't know what to think... maybe it's coming - but I'm not really impressed so far... 

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

What did you guys expect for a pre-release?  It's a beta... meant to find issues.  If that's not your thing why are you d/l it?  I am more disappointed by the responses than the sim. Help DTG with good, infomative feedback.  Not trash.

I couldn't have said better, it is unbelievable instead giving feedback so DTG can improve on the sim they just bash without any thoughts.

This is a sim just released with no add-ons noting let's wait for a while,  you still have FSX/P3D meanwhile.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Anders Gron said:

Hmm... interesting comment from Mathijs over at Aerosoft (I won't bring the full post here. Head over there and read the rest...)

"First of all simple facts. There is no SDK, no Simconnect and only XML aircraft are possible. So even if we would be willing to start on making things compatible, it is simply impossible to make any complex aircraft. Even C++ is currently impossible. So any aircraft could only do what the default aircraft do. For scenery things might look better, we are not sure about that, but without an SDK and knowing what the new engine can do it makes just no sense to spend time on it.

..."

I don't know what to think... maybe it's coming - but I'm not really impressed so far... 

This is a reasonable response from Mathijs. I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It's an alpha. People really don't understand.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, angeli662 said:

I couldn't have said better, it is unbelievable instead giving feedback so DTG can improve on the sim they just bash without any thoughts.

This is a sim just released with no add-ons noting let's wait for a while,  you still have FSX/P3D meanwhile.

Addons? It can even run at decent performance in its default state with awful LOD radius to boot.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Based upon the pedigree some of us never thought so in the first place...

Exactly! If only all of us can lower our expectations, then maybe we can accept it for what it is and starting enjoying the unique experiences this product (will eventually) offer.

2 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

This is a reasonable response from Mathijs. I'm not sure what the fuss is about. It's an alpha. People really don't understand.

I'm not really sure what's to understand?! 

Anyway... we all have our hopes and expectations (or lack of them) for this sim. There's NO sense in arguing and debating about it - since the majority of issues are personal opinions - and we all have a right to have those.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Anders Gron said:

Thanks. Just requested refund... 

Only downloaded, not yet started the sim. So, virtually unused, so hope I get the refund too.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dtrjones said:

If only all of us can lower our expectations, then maybe we can accept it for what it is and starting enjoying the unique experiences this product (will eventually) offer.

Re-read what you just wrote, brother:  to enjoy this product, I have to lower my expectations...?

• Upvote 3

Just now, vc10man said:

Only downloaded, not yet started the sim. So, virtually unused, so hope I get the refund too.

You will - I just got mine... (only took about half an hour).

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, WotanUK said:

Nope, cause it's 64-bit...i have 64Gb of RAM, however i worry that this will start a trend of not caring about the memory use, once people like A2A and ORBX start adding things we might find that instead of getting VAS related OOMs we start to get physical OOMs.

Thanks for that update.

5 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Addons? It can even run at decent performance in its default state with awful LOD radius to boot.

Here we go again,  3 hours into launch already comparing with FSX/P3D,  just look into the future or we will end up with FSX/P3D 32 bit for another 16 years.

• Upvote 2

I got it for free, but from what I've seen so far on streams I won't bother installing it now. I wish them well for their early access run and may take a look at it later this year.

You guys saying it's early access or it's an alpha need to understand that while that means there could be some bug fixes, performance fixes, and possibly a few features added, it does not mean they are going to make major changes at this point. That's very unlikely. 

Once something has hit public Alpha/Beta, the engine is largely set. You aren't going to get a revamped global lighting system, a new flight model, or new landclass/autogen depiction. The things people were hoping would move us forward aren't there.

Those are the kinds of things that would of made this next-gen. The raindrop thing is cool, but it's clearly a gimmick to distract from the sims other large failings and lack of improvement. 

This stacks up as a lesser P3Dv3 but with rain drops and better default ground textures. At the end of the day, we are customers and everyone has a right to express their disappointment. 

Edited by bonchie
fix
  • Upvote 8

Hello,

Long time MSFS fan here, and former Microsoft employee.  I used to work down the street form ACES at their Westpark studio just off the WLS Parkway 520 exit in Redmond, and I would go to all of the FOFS events they hosted during their existence.  It's important to me to mention that because I don't want my current preference towards XP11 to come off like I'm some XP ###### troll.  

I just spent 20 minutes on FSW.  I took off from Newark and did an expressway approach into LGA 31 with a daytime storm.  Then, I took off from EGLC straight to EGLC, this time a night flight using the cold night preset.

I really want DTG to succeed, and I understand this is Beta.  However, it's going to be hard as a recent X-Plane 11 convert to go back to this simulator, especially without airliners.  I'm by no means a huge fan of XP11, but it's the best option out there right now.  Sim-time is precious when you have life responsibilities, and I'm just not feeling motivated to commit a lot of time to this in its current state, when it it so far removed from my interests.  Thank you in advance to those of you who will put in the time, even though it may not be the ideal flight sim at the moment. 

Observations:

I was shocked how dark it was at night at EGLC, it was literally pitch black.  The external plane lights didn't function, and I could only see the runway lights, I couldn't make out actual runway.  It looked like I was in a Space Odyssey simulation.  When I landed at EGLL, it was so dark that it might have been a field in Kansas.  Also, all of the airports are barren, which kills the immersion factor as well.  Even static airplanes parked at the gates would go a long way to help with that.  

My biggest gripe with XP has always been the "plausible" world. So, with Dovetail, I was looking forward to a return to decent stock scenery.  Unfortunately, it's still the same MSFS scenery from 2006; none of the new towers are in London, the Freedom tower was missing, and approach into LGA was over the old Shea Stadium, not Citi field.  Now, maybe scenery was addressed, and I missed it, but ever other version of flight simulator included an update to scenery, like adding the Gherkin in FSX.  

I found the fluidity of it to be jerky, my system is custom built, and even with dense custom scenery XP11 runs fine with good frames in NYC.  Unfortunately, this still was reminiscent of the struggles of FSX.  

On the plus side, I did like the rain effects.  

I don't want to be too critical, I know this is a beta, and it was free for me as a DTFS purchaser, so I have nothing to gripe about.   However, I'm concerned about where things go from here.  As I mentioned, while I hate the XP11 plausible world concept, there is tons of amazing free scenery out there as part of its open platform, like Boston, that exceeds what I saw in FSW.  With the Dovetail closed platform, I just worry how much I'm going to have to invest to get it to be what I want it to be as a sim, and will it ever be that in light of XP11.  And, if I'm going to put that money in regardless, to me, XP11 is looking like the better investment.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Hopefully this will all be sorted out.  Angry typing guy, I look forward to your response.  

-Paul

• Upvote 15

this did not meet my expectations, but i do agree it is early access and it can become a good sim if given a chance,i thought 64bit would have given slightly better performance, it does feel like a reskinned 64 bit version of fsx with poor performance, but i plan on given all the feedback i can to help this succeed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patriot3810 said:

this did not meet my expectations, but i do agree it is early access and it can become a good sim if given a chance,i thought 64bit would have given slightly better performance, it does feel like a reskinned 64 bit version of fsx with poor performance, but i plan on given all the feedback i can to help this succeed.

That is the spirit:biggrin: