Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Early Release Comments

It was very disappointing to say the least. I know they worked hard on this, but I think truly they should get out as quickly as possible. I felt like I went back in time about 10 years. I am very sorry to have to say this I really am as I believe there was an honest effort by all involved. Just removed from Steam.

• Upvote 1

My feelings also....I don´t know why but FS98 times came to my mind....with the due respect (and overstate...).

Edmundo Azevedo

Care to explain or go a little more in depth about what was wrong with it?

It doesn't really serve the community or DTG games to say that it was disappointing, felt like going back 10 years, etc, without saying what the problems were.

Obviously it looks better than what we had 10 years ago and is 64bit.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is a live stream at this time on youTube: 

I did not like, as another poster said, the ..."same old bland and dull colors and lighting". May be it depends on monitor calibration but I use the same monitor for other simulators.

I made a flight around my home airport (LPPT) and the scenery was far from to be real or nice. Aircraft were apparently well modelled and fluid. I have problems with my T-rudder pedals (similarly to other users that also reported this issue) - rudder is OK but cannot get left/right toe-brakes.

This is just an initial "feeling" of FSW. My (very) first impressions were far beyond my expectations.!      

Edmundo Azevedo

What on earth... can you guys confirm that we're STILL seeing the FPS drop with the mouse cursor?

Seriously!?

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

1 hour ago, N1G said:

It was very disappointing to say the least. I know they worked hard on this, but I think truly they should get out as quickly as possible. I felt like I went back in time about 10 years. I am very sorry to have to say this I really am as I believe there was an honest effort by all involved. Just removed from Steam.

I share the same feelings. Having switched away from FSX to P3D and X-Plane many years ago, it simply feels outdated. Like it was made in 2007. Other sims have come so far in comparison (real time shadows, cloud shadows, tessellation, PBR, atmospheric scattering, volumetric haze and so on). Eye candy isn't everything, but it also seems to suffer from the same performance problems as FSX. The way it looks, it should run at 100 FPS on a decent system.

I will say that the interface seems very polished and the included aircraft are nice. I wish XP11 and P3D had the same map and flight planner. If they put in 200% effort into the graphics engine for the next several months, maybe it can turn into something nice.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Wow 58 reviews so far on Steam and all negative.

Edited by michelh

1 minute ago, michelh said:

58 reviews so far on Steam and all negative.

The positives are too busy playing it to review...

Maybe so but I am not buying any early access games. Some of the games on steam have been early access for 2 years now. I wonder if the same thing will happen to FSW  the way in happen with Flight Sim School, I rather wait and pay more for a complete finish product.

• Upvote 1

Steel division in early access is a great game. I wish I could say the same for FSW. The general feeling of a step back is confirmed here as well.

I feel like my view on it is now affected by the fact i have been a XP user for over a year now. And what i might have judged as okay before fades away after trying XP (dynamics, lighting for example).

I just wanted to report how the widescreen ratio is not active by default and needs to be activated from the cfg, the lod_radious is fixed on 4,5 no matter the graphic settings and that the bug lowering the fps when the mouse cursor shows up is still present.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

From what I've seen on YouTube so far I can't even be bothered to download this, even though it's free for me.

The lighting / reflections seem to be an improvement over FSX, but still years behind XP 11. Other than that all the old problems with fsx (auto gen pop in, blurries, ridiculously small LOD radius, crappy vector scenery, floating ghost lights) stand out even more. This leaves me with the prospect of waiting for the add on ecosystem to develop, then spending time and a lot of money to bring it up to a level that's not even guaranteed to equal what XP gives me out of the box.

I wanted to feel enthusiastic about this, but the current offering looks SO dated, I see no compelling reason to even try it.

• Upvote 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Oh but wait, since FSW is on Steam all add-ons will come with a premium price. Since Steam, Dovetail and the developers will want to make money the prices will have to go up.

Well I have had an hour or so taking off at different airports and with different weather.  I got what I expected a early release product.  I like it a lot.  It really has a good feeling to flying the airplanes.  The rain on the windshield really felt like it was raining.  It felt like it was wet outside something that I have not experienced in any other sim that I have played.  I feel like the visuals need some improvement like the landclass textures and the lighting needs to some tweaking as well it fells washed out to me. One thing that I did notice when I was flying the PA-34 is that you can pop the fuses out and it effects airplane.  Never messed around with it much after I pulled the fuse for the displays and loss all my screens