Sign in to follow this  
Redglyph

Zoom back to some default value after a few seconds

Hi there!

In P3D, in the virtual cockpit (with or without Ezdok) I was using the Selection (increase)/Selection (decrease) and View (set to default, 1x) to adjust the zoom in the cockpit, and have a close-up view of the instruments for instance. As everyone, I think.

It's still working with Chasecam, I simply had to clear the "Wide-view aspect ratio" in the graphics settings to get a reasonable FOV. But what is really annoying me, is that the zoom gets back to some predefined value after a few seconds, especially when the aircraft is moving or flying. And this predefined value is not the one of P3D. If I disable Chaseplane, this behaviour disappears.

Does anyone know how to disable this, and how is the zoom logic with Chaseplane with on-board cameras? For example, if I assign the zoom in/out of CP to keys or buttons, it does the job, gets back to this predefined value after a few seconds too, but gets back to the previous zoom value if I use the buttons again. So if I zoom to, say, 2x, the zoom gets back to the default value of 0.3 after 1-2 seconds, if I hit the "zoom in" again it jumps to 2x directly. It feels a bit wrong and is uncomfortable.

Tom Ross

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

You have to use the ChasePlane zoom controls. You cannot use the built-in zoom features of the simulator with ChasePlane.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Thanks! The zoom controls avoid this annoying zoom reset, that's good.

There is still the problem of getting back to the default zoom (1x). Since there is no specific mapping in CP, I'm using "View (set to default, 1x)" from P3D, when I do that the default zoom is applied. But if I use the CP controls to zoom in or zoom out, it jumps back to its previous setting, which is unexpected.

If you have your own logic to track the zoom value, could you at some point add a "back to default" settings? Otherwise the user has to try and get back to the normal zoom manually, which is not easy, and slow. Typically it's used to check the avionics, then the user needs a mapping to get back to the normal view fairly rapidly, and without having to tune the zoom by hand every time.

Tom Ross

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

There are multiple ways of doing things very similar to what you are looking for. And I understand, from reading your post, that none of them are perfectly suited to what you are trying to do.

1. There is an assignment in Preferences > Control Assignments called Reset Cam Position. This will move the camera to the loaded preset's saved position. This method cannot be applied to the zoom exclusively.
  2. In the Camera > Controls page, you can double-click the zoom slider knob to reset it to the preset's saved position. This method cannot be operated using Control Assignments.
  3. Next to this zoom slider, you can also input numbers directly. This is another way of resetting the zoom position.

Now, we have a feature coming called Binoculars. This feature will allow you to temporarily zoom to a given value when a key/button is pressed and return to the previous value when released.

We do not have an ETA for this feature at this time.

Regards,
Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Good to know! Thanks for the quick reply :)

Well, if others feel the same, a zoom reset could perhaps be a good suggestion for later.

Tom Ross

Ack... why is it not possible to edit the posts?

Anyway. What I meant to write, but posted by mistake, is I frequently use the zoom to watch the dashboard more closely, due to the limitation in resolution of the screen, or the landscape of course, as if I had binoculars. It would be interesting to see if other users do the same.

Tom Ross

Actually it's probably possible to create different camera views for that, it'd even be easier.

I've noticed two other strange behaviours:

- the very first time an Outside camera is set, the TrackIR on/off is not used properly, it remains on the OnBoard settings. So if Onboard the TrackIR is on, and Outside it's not used, switching from Onboard to Outside still uses TrackIR to point the view;

- if an Outside view has "Enable Gimbal", the transition in&out is not applied. Not sure it's intended, but in this case the view change at once between views, and is not smooth.

Tom Ross