Sign in to follow this  
Zatoichi

One For The Books

In the 1990s I worked for the largest manufacturer of GA antennas as the QA manager.

One day we had a meeting set in Arizona and decided to have the president of the firm fly us in his V35.

(When our firm was located in a hanger in KSMO he flew into work everyday)

Just as we spotted our destination the engine sputtered and died. No fuel. We were at 10,000 '.
"Oops."

While the three of us passengers were sitting quietly, white as sheets he made a perfect landing in a furrowed field about a mile from the airfield. The prop was bent and some damage to the landing gear was sustained.
When the first responders showed up they found us fine and smiling, and the president looks at them perfectly seriously and asks them to give us a ride to the vendors facility as we were late for the meeting. They did.
(I never asked what the owner of the field said when he found the plane sitting there)

Next birthday I bought him a gas can.

This guy was the epitome of cool. I really enjoyed the job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hmmm, I'm not so sure what the FAA would think about a pilot who just had an incident rushing off to a business meeting. Maybe times were different back then. 

On 21/06/2017 at 6:50 AM, NatGeo said:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure what the FAA would think about a pilot who just had an incident rushing off to a business meeting. Maybe times were different back then. 

Times were different back then, They were much better times than now.

Jon Shearer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/20/2017 at 1:50 PM, NatGeo said:

Nothing? You have time to file the report. It's not due immediately.

Better than most we were familiar with CFRs and applicable regs as we had two DMIRs (I was one) on the payroll.

Yeah, he has 48 hours, and then I believe 10 days to file a written one if there are no injuries and that's if they request it