Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Test pilot report - Dovetail games Flight Sim World

Per a note on the Dovetail Forums, Orbx will be releasing stuff for FSW.  Just don't know when...

5 hours ago, theohall65 said:

Per a note on the Dovetail Forums, Orbx will be releasing stuff for FSW.  Just don't know when...

What note? Can you link it? 

I Saw a thread on Orbx' Support Forums and one of the developers answered FSW will not  be free of charge for people that already own some of the sceneries, but those will receive a discount to buy the same scenery for FSW, which is a good thing. 

12 hours ago, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I've been impressed. It just lacks the usual addons, there are some bugs that need to be fixed, and some support for the jets to come like IFR flights.

Does it look like a game because of the bright UI? That's superficial. You're still pretending to fly airplanes people: don't take it so seriously. Menus and the option to fly missions don't make it any more of a game.

Absent big blunders and assuming continued third-party support, I can see FSW overtaking P3D relatively soon, possibly within the next year. Dovetail has access to Steam, which will bring in a lot of users and will in turn generate profit. Dovetail looks like it's moving faster than P3D, which only recently went 64 bit. LM isn't going to be interested in competing with FSW.

Nobody gave DTG a shot to begin with and were actively rooting for it's failure. Now we're seeing positive reviews with caveats. I can't see why those caveats can't be dealt with. The next step will be more backlash from the old guard as some contemplate having to change sims once again.

Some time ago I read a guy saying FSW was a game because it has some achievements. :biggrin:

What he forgot is FSX has more than 200 achievements. Guess what people will say if DTG really implements a career mode on the sim (Which by the way I will really appreciate).

3 hours ago, ca_metal said:

I Saw a thread on Orbx' Support Forums and one of the developers answered FSW will not  be free of charge for people that already own some of the sceneries, but those will receive a discount to buy the same scenery for FSW, which is a good thing. 

I think we should take Orbx's statements with "a pinch of salt". As John Venema has pointed out, the situation may change. 

The last thing I've seen is pronounced, is that product for FSW will be sold through Steam only. And that we have to buy their products for FSW at regular prices - even though we have already bought the same products for FSX / P3D (no discount). The reason given by John Venema is that prices on Steam are relatively favorable and that Steam has sales with significantly reduced prices.

My interpretation should also be taken with "a pinch of salt". The point is that the statements so far are unclear (and perhaps misleading).

3 hours ago, ca_metal said:

Some time ago I read a guy saying FSW was a game because it has some achievements. :biggrin:

What he forgot is FSX has more than 200 achievements. Guess what people will say if DTG really implements a career mode on the sim (Which by the way I will really appreciate).

Yes, a lot of strange analysis among the "hard core" folks. :smile:

EDIT   :

I realize that you have absolutely right, ca_metal - so far. :smile:

Ed Correia (Orbx) said this week, quote: "Any product that is redeveloped for FSW will be sold separately. It will not be a free" upgrade ".

It will be similar to what we do for Aerofly FS2 versions - at a discount to existing customers of that product. "

I expect that this is Orbx's official policy - so far.

36 minutes ago, torium said:

I think we should take Orbx's statements with "a pinch of salt". As John Venema has pointed out, the situation may change. 

The last thing I've seen is pronounced, is that product for FSW will be sold through Steam only. And that we have to buy their products for FSW at regular prices - even though we have already bought the same products for FSX / P3D (no discount). The reason given by John Venema is that prices on Steam are relatively favorable and that Steam has sales with significantly reduced prices.

My interpretation should also be taken with "a pinch of salt". The point is that the statements so far are unclear (and perhaps misleading).

In that statement JV is completely right, things sold though Steam can't have discounts for things owned on the FTX Central. But I'm pretty sure if you buy through their site and you already that scenert in other platform, you will have a discount. 

I will buy everything on Steam because JV is right, Steam has lots of sales and regionalized prices. If you live in UK or US, not a big of a deal, but in my case (Brazil), the prices are quite better.

E.G. You can buy FSW, in Russia, for less than U$ 4.00, that's nice for people living in countries with weak currencies. 
xsh50Cu.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

In that statement JV is completely right, things sold though Steam can't have discounts for things owned on the FTX Central. But I'm pretty sure if you buy through their site and you already that scenert in other platform, you will have a discount.

Yes you're right, and I want to repeat what I edited in in my previous post:

52 minutes ago, torium said:

EDIT   :

I realize that you have absolutely right, ca_metal - so far. :smile:

Ed Correia (Orbx) said this week, quote: "Any product that is redeveloped for FSW will be sold separately. It will not be a free" upgrade ".

It will be similar to what we do for Aerofly FS2 versions - at a discount to existing customers of that product. "

I expect that this is Orbx's official policy - so far.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:17 PM, Johan_Dees said:

i dont give ###### on all this.. how are the basics ?

Weather? winds ? the feel. the real deal.. the rest is nice to have.

Did they improve on feel ?

you did not read his article ......

They should have just carried on updating FSX-SE and eventually released FSXI-SE, would have saved them some greif.

8 minutes ago, mattyshigh said:

They should have just carried on updating FSX-SE and eventually released FSXI-SE, would have saved them some greif.

I kinda disagree. I think it was time to start over and fresh - even though FSW isn't really starting over. But if they can overcome some of the idio-idiosyncrasies and shortcomings which rely deep in the ESP engine, I think it's great.

The implementation of trueSky is a good start, to be honest... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

11 hours ago, mattyshigh said:

I guess, I am just sick to death of early access and everybody hiding behind it.

Really? I prefer having my voice heard, rather than a company's unilateral decisions about what I want, as a consumer. 

• Upvote 8

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

4 hours ago, TheFlightSimGuy said:

Really? I prefer having my voice heard, rather than a company's unilateral decisions about what I want, as a consumer. 

+1 

Tell me a developer that had more interaction with users on development than DTG.

• Upvote 4

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

18 hours ago, mattyshigh said:

I guess, I am just sick to death of early access and everybody hiding behind it.

Until now DTG is using the early-access in the right way, they are hearing customers and leting FSW go the way customers want it. Better than just releasing something THEY want is hearing/reading customers opinions and trying to mold it accordingly.

I'm not sure if this sim will prospere, but I'm sure they are doing a great job (Unfortunately not as fast as I would like, because they are a small team).

• Upvote 2

Two good examples...

Folks wanted an SDK and Dynamic Weather.

SDK is expected to be released within 25 days per today's live stream

Current focus for the core team working with TrueSky is getting Dynamic weather working.

Responses to what customers have asked for.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, theohall65 said:

Two good examples...

Folks wanted an SDK and Dynamic Weather.

SDK is expected to be released within 25 days per today's live stream

Current focus for the core team working with TrueSky is getting Dynamic weather working.

Responses to what customers have asked for.

Yeah, that's my point. If I remember right other things were brought because of the customer feedback. 

They had to intention to focus on the night lighting, until they received the feedback that was very important. They not just fixed the lighting (When first released, it was almost impossible to see anything flying during night) they also are working on real-time/dynamic lights.

Well, that's what came in my mind, but I'm sure there were other things they implemented/will implement because of this early-access feedback.

There are a heck of a lot more.  A bunch of the GPS related bugs have been squashed also.  I keep bringing up little tiny things up, if they haven't been fixed yet, during the dev streams - since no one sees everything - and those things mentioned in the stream are usually fixed within 1 month of being mentioned.

Some examples - the cursor thing and not being able to see what was entered - fixed!

Saitek panels - took awhile but almost 100% fixed

Gauges in multiple aircraft not showing correct info - mostly fixed - tool tips on some gauges are still not yet fixed, but most important ones have been.

One update killed the GPS in the PA-28.  They issued a hot fix to correct it the same day.  There was another hot fix released when a dev asked in a separate forum what planes were affected by something.  Let him know it was every plane.  Hot fix issued within hours of providing that feedback.

I could go on for awhile on what I consider a very responsive developer.

Yes, somethings aren't fixed, but this is a very small team that has to balance continuing development vs how important some particular bug might be. 

Still waiting on the G1000 track up bug to be fixed, but 2 of the 3 planes which use the G1000 have secondary GPS which shows track up, so it's not a major thing.  Just annoying.  This is an example of a minor bug they will likely eventually get to, but are focused on core development - active weather, lighting, the SDK, etc - first.

Going to compare this to a non-sim thing - Shadow of War released a patch which ruined TAA.  They still haven't fixed it even though they've released two updates since that patch and keep saying it's a "priority".  Some priority when it's not fixed over 1 month later and worked before the bad patch.

When DTG screws something up which worked before an update, they usually fix it within 24 hours.  That is massive response from such a small team.  The only exception is when TrueSky changes something, because that's a 3rd party they are working with.  How did they fix that issue?  Two weeks after TrueSky was released, the option to turn it off was added.  So just wait for TrueSky to be right before turning it on if you want.

See - I went on....  It is easy to see the support if one takes just a little time to look into things, instead of just bashing something, due to some personal bias.

• Upvote 6