Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Well, I'm back.

Hi,

After hearing of the forthcoming release of Flight Sim World and fully expecting it to be based on MS Flight AND having the modified version of Flight crash whenever I got within about 80 miles of KSNS (my home airport) I put things on hold.  I suspect I had some  holdover from ORBX scenery but re-installed FSX 3 times and still had the problem.  After looking at some pictures and videos of FSW I'm not particularly interested. in it.  I see that there is still some interest in Flight but it seems minimal.  I strongly suspect that if there was more interest shown there would be more incentive for those talented people to continue with modifications and updates.  I'd very much like to see that.  After returning I have a few questions but I'll spend some time trying to find answers myself before asking here.  But I do have one question  that I don't think I was able to come up with an answer to previously; is there any way for anyone who did not previously purchase Flight to get a copy?

Jim F.

12 hours ago, jandjfrench said:

But I do have one question  that I don't think I was able to come up with an answer to previously; is there any way for anyone who did not previously purchase Flight to get a copy? Jim F.

From what I understand, not legally.

Edited by RatRace
spelling

Welcome back jandjfrench!

Have you tried these links found in this topic?

-eelis-

The link for the Flight installer is still up.

Look at my post (#2) on the link that eelis posted.

Thanks for the replies.  In various forums I've see posts which make me want to suggest that they try Flight.  Would the links suggested allow them to start using Flight?  As a previous owner I'm recognized as such and I have no problems but I'd like to verify that someone with no previous involvement could get started.  I guess that I could try to go into the Games for windows Marketplace anonymously and try to create a new gamertag (or whatever) but thought it would be easier to ask here if someone's already tried this.

Jim F.

My friend installed it about six months ago, we couldn't create new gamer tag for him in using GFWL mode, but non-GFWL worked. So we couldn't use multi-player for him.

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

Hi eelis,

So he was able to download the basic game?  I'm trying to avoid giving someone bad info.

Jim F.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, jandjfrench said:

After hearing of the forthcoming release of Flight Sim World and fully expecting it to be based on MS Flight AND having the modified version of Flight crash whenever I got within about 80 miles of KSNS (my home airport) I put things on hold.

Welcome back jandjfrench. 

Regarding your crashing near KSNS, In my travels, I have bumped into at least 4 other airports that cause the same thing. Not a big showstopper for me, 4 out of the 2000+ airports I've landed at is minor.  It's a shame it's happening at your home field.

Flight is free, so you can definitely still download it.  As someone else mentioned, you can't create new gamer tags or get a key to use Flight on GFWL, but Non-GFWL mode works fine (aside from multiplayer).  Here are the instructions for installing it and the toolkit from my post on fsdeveloper:

Installing MS Flight:
Make sure you have the latest GFWL client installed: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=128962 (or www.flighttoolkit.com/flightInstallers/gfwlivesetup.exe)
You can download\install Microsoft Flight from here: http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9800616
Even though Flight is free, GFWL needs to generate a key for it so it can connect to the service. I have heard of people having problems getting one. If you run into this after installing Flight and haven't ever installed it before, make sure you use the Non-GFWL mode of the Flight Toolkit. You will be prompted for it at the end of the installation process of the Toolkit.

Installing the Flight Toolkit (Requires Vista or newer OS):
You can download the latest tools here: http://www.flighttoolkit.com/Downloads/FlightToolkit_1_1_32.zip (If you have a problem where GFWL says you need a key to play, make sure you use the Non-GFWL mode. You can change this after installation from the Addon Manager)
Website for the Flight Toolkit: www.flighttoolkit.com

Once you get the toolkit installed, you can install other addons.  Most of those you had to purchase, but are no longer available to buy, so there is probably some questionable legality around those.

Ultimately though, I've stopped development to focus on other things (like my kid).  I'm trying to still fix any severe bugs that people are running into, so I don't have to answer as many support emails.  The main one right now are people that are having problems installing the Toolkit, but usually if you uninstall the toolkit and Flight, and follow the instructions above it ends up working.

Edited by stonelance

Additional instructions for people who own FSX and want to convert that scenery to Flight:

Converting FSX Scenery:
Once you install the Toolkit you can convert FSX base scenery to a format that can be used in MS Flight. To do this you first need a clean install of FSX with no other addons installed. Afterwards you can run this command. You will need 7GB free in the temp folder, and 7GB free on the drive containing your MS Flight DLC (usually C

ContentConverter.exe fsx /i:"<path to FSX>" /o:"<path to temporary folder>"

This will convert the content and place it in your DLC folder. After running the command you will need to run Addon Manager to enable the addon called FSX World. I also recommend installing and enabling the "World UI" addon which will add a new region to the map that convers the whole world.

Optionally you can also add the "/a" argument to the command line to have the conversion generate a .flightAddon file instead of placing files in your DLC folder. I don't recommend doing this unless you need to convert the scenery on one machine, and install it on another because it is slower.

Hi Albacore and Stone,

I guess it's good to know that the crashes I was experiencing are not unique to me.  However,  the first time I created the scenery and tried to spawn in the new world area Flght crashed; it was in the ocean just off the California coast.  I thought perhaps a reboot was needed so I restarted Windows again and tried once more and no crash in the same area.  I flew around for awhile and everything seemed to work without problems in the same area.  The next time I tried to start at an airport in the same area Flight again crashed.  I re-installed FSX trying to remove every trace of any previous install and converted the scenery anew.  Same problem.  I also tried using the "/a" argument with the same results.  I'm planning on removing FSX once more and installing the latest Toolkit.  I see that the  "32" version is referenced in a previous post and I've downloaded it but after going back to the Toolkit homepage I don't see it listed as a download.  I'm baffled as to how I got it.  And should a previous version of Toolkit be uninstalled when a newer version becomes available or is overwriting okay?

I tried to verify that I could download Flight as someone who never had it installed, but even after using an alternate email address I was still recognized by Windows.  I tried to create a new Gamertag but when I submitted the new info I was asked if this was my phone number.  It was with a few of the digits blanked.  I want to verify the process before I suggest checking out Flight to someone.

And Thanks for keeping Flight alive!

Jim F.

Hi all,

It seems I had left Flight installed but had deleted the Toolkit when I put things on hold.  I re-installed the 28 version and when I ran the Addon manager it appeared that I still had the World and all the addons previously installed.  I discovered the Trike and Beechcraft and selected them. Both run fine and look great. 

After re-familiarizing myself with Flight by flying around a bit I discovered that after the last install I had just completed several of the basic missions.  I couldn't recall if there  was an error message displayed when I tried to go to my home area so I selected one of the airports there and have no problems with it.  I have no idea what's changed..  Tried various things but no crashes.  I'm anxious to check out some of the new aerocaches and some of the more scenic areas of the world. 

Jim F.

The toolkit automatically uninstalls old versions when you install a new one.  I think the 32 version of the toolkit was from a thread (maybe the 31 version).  I usually post new releases here before my website to try to find bugs with a smaller audience.  I have a 33 i've been working on but trying to solve a few of the last bigger support issues before releasing it.

• Upvote 1