Sign in to follow this  

So I bought FSW after all and well, what can I say...

... :mellow:

On one hand I feel a bit obliged to say what I don't like about FSW, it feels a bit too easy to not say anything about it, but well, you know... on the other hand I think it is best for everyone if I only say that just before my two hour trial period was over I requested a refund. And I won't take anything back of what I said on this forum during the last few days, based on posts and video's of others. I fear that talking about the last two hours will only offend some of you even more than I already did with my remarks about blinkers and blindness and so on. Adding anything to what I've already said won't do anyone any good and, honestly, it would be a waste of my time. I wasted enough time on FSW already. I don't even want to think about what I didn't like in FSW anymore. In fact, I think it is best, and also fair, that I leave this subforum and not post here at all (at least for quit some time). I will only annoy myself if I keep on coming back here and I will certainly annoy others. I think my posting during the last few days was already on the limit of what is acceptable and I can assure you that my almost two hours experience with FSW didn't help to make posts of mine about FSW more acceptable. Ok, I'll bite my lip and leave it at this.

I might come back to this topic to see if I should say something more after all (just in this topic) but well, let's just say FSW isn't my kind of sim but that it's good to have options and to each his own. :happy:

1 minute ago, J van E said:

... :mellow:

On one hand I feel a bit obliged to say what I don't like about FSW, it feels a bit too easy to not say anything about it, but well, you know... on the other hand I think it is best for everyone if I only say that just before my two hour trial period was over I requested a refund. And I won't take anything back of what I said on this forum during the last few days, based on posts and video's of others. I fear that talking about the last two hours will only offend some of you even more than I already did with my remarks about blinkers and blindness and so on. Adding anything to what I've already said won't do anyone any good and, honestly, it would be a waste of my time. I wasted enough time on FSW already. I don't even want to think about what I didn't like in FSW anymore. In fact, I think it is best, and also fair, that I leave this subforum and not post here at all (at least for quit some time). I will only annoy myself if I keep on coming back here and I will certainly annoy others. I think my posting during the last few days was already on the limit of what is acceptable and I can assure you that my almost two hours experience with FSW didn't help to make posts of mine about FSW more acceptable. Ok, I'll bite my lip and leave it at this.

I might come back to this topic to see if I should say something more after all (just in this topic) but well, let's just say FSW isn't my kind of sim but that it's good to have options and to each his own. :happy:

On these forums, some people don't take kindly to trying something, no matter what your experience level in aviation of simulation, and saying there are things you don't like about it. You probably made a wise decision.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Well stated, Jeroen. And you too,Bob. I have followed you both in your other posts. The latest video that came out today, on YT, the guy testing one aircraft could not even brake when he landed and slowed down; he had to swap to another aircraft. Hardly convincing a buy I'd say. Still, each to their own. Whatever floats their boats. I'm with you guys on this one----not for me.

15 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Well stated, Jeroen. And you too,Bob. I have followed you both in your other posts. The latest video that came out today, on YT, the guy testing one aircraft could not even brake when he landed and slowed down; he had to swap to another aircraft. Hardly convincing a buy I'd say. Still, each to their own. Whatever floats their boats. I'm with you guys on this one----not for me.

You're kidding, right?  Do you recall the aircraft bugs when fsx was released?  Heck, most still exist (e.g. CRJ fuel flow, A320 ECAM/auto brakes, 737 reverse lighting in VC, etc, etc, etc...).  One bug. In one aircraft, in an Early Release product, is hardly rational for completely dismissing a sim. BTW, no sim has stock aircraft that look as good, or as detailed as FSW aircraft. Some of the posters in this thread were never going to like it due to monetary and intellectual investments in other platforms. Some bash every sim (not named P3D) every time they get the chance; in doing so, they loose credibility.

FSW is Early Access and 150% cheaper than P3D (for non students).  Instead of dismissing it outright, let's see where it goes. It's only been 72-hrs. Conversely, P3D has been out for 4 years?  I got news for you, it's not 4 years better than FSW. Given the development timelines, FSW is ahead of P3D initiall release.  It you accept that paradigm, it's reasonable to assume that FSW could eclipse P3D at some point, at a fraction of the price. Perhaps that's what bothers the P3D ######?  To be clear, P3D is my current sim; however, I do see merit in FSW.  It depends on where they go from here...

• Upvote 7

Matt King

21 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

You're kidding, right?  Do you recall the aircraft bugs when fsx was released?  Heck, most still exist (e.g. CRJ fuel flow, A320 ECAM/auto brakes, 737 reverse lighting in VC, etc, etc, etc...).  One bug. In one aircraft, in an Early Release product, is hardly rational for completely dismissing a sim. BTW, no sim has stock aircraft that look as good, or as detailed as FSW aircraft. Some of the posters in this thread were never going to like it due to monetary and intellectual investments in other platforms. Some bash every sim (not named P3D) every time they get the chance; in doing so, they loose credibility.

FSW is Early Access and 150% cheaper than P3D (for non students).  Instead of dismissing it outright, let's see where it goes. It's only been 72-hrs. Conversely, P3D has been out for 4 years?  I got news for you, it's not 4 years better than FSW. Given the development timelines, FSW is ahead of P3D initiall release.  It you accept that paradigm, it's reasonable to assume that FSW could eclipse P3D at some point, at a fraction of the price. Perhaps that's what bothers the P3D ######?  To be clear, P3D is my current sim; however, I do see merit in FSW.  It depends on where they go from here...

You are the one that is kidding if you expect DTG to fix 20% of the bugs that are in this sim any time soon. That is not the way DTG works. You will hear things like " This is being looked at". "we are working on that" etc. etc. and the next thing, they are releasing DLC and the bugs are still there. LOL.  You'll see,  

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I don't think it's fair to compare FSW  with fsx , p3d etc,etc. In my opinion, that's what some people here are doing; almost forgetting is a "vanilla" EA software.

I agree with Bob, and I've watched the development/lack thereof of TSW and expect the same level of development with FSW.  More eye candy than detailed/in depth simulation.  I've noticed a suprising amount of similarities with FSX to make me think otherwise with FSW, unfortunately.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

30 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

You're kidding, right?

No, I am not, quite frankly. How long has FSX been around? Precisely. One would have thought that they would have got something like the texture of a runway looking something like a runway instead of a bleached-out look!

8 minutes ago, vc10man said:

No, I am not, quite frankly. How long has FSX been around? Precisely. One would have thought that they would have got something like the texture of a runway looking something like a runway instead of a bleached-out look!

Again, it's early access. Using your argument, why wasn't P3D itital release perfect?  Do I need to remind you of the pluthera of bugs?  The stock FSX textures? Did you immediately dismiss that platform? You do relize that's based on the same tired ESP...right?  So why isn't P3D development further along?  Heck, in the same video you referenced, the authored referred to P3D as a dressed up FSX.  To that end, These 'arguments' are comical.  Like politics, everyone is taking sides; facts be damned...

Edited by kingm56
  • Upvote 1

Matt King

7 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

These 'arguments'

That's precisely the point I am trying to make. I'd have thought given the longevity of FSX, I'd have thought DTG would have learned from all those other platforms that you say also had bugs, etc, etc, and come up with something that far exceeded FSX. There is a substantial division of opinion of the merits and demerits  of FSW. IF it was the 'wow factor some are purporting it to be, we'd all be embracing and welcoming such a new platform wholeheartedly, and dare I say, enthusiastically.

Edited by vc10man
spelling mistake

21 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You are the one that is kidding if you expect DTG to fix 20% of the bugs that are in this sim any time soon. That is not the way DTG works. You will hear things like " This is being looked at". "we are working on that" etc. etc. and the next thing, they are releasing DLC and the bugs are still there. LOL.  You'll see,  

I don't use their train simulator, so I'll accept your assertion as fact. However, I'm willing to give them a chance. The initial effort is ok   Remember, if they win, we all win. 

• Upvote 1

Matt King

2 minutes ago, vc10man said:

That's precisely the point I am trying to make. I'd have thought given the longevity of FSX, I'd have thought DTG would have learned from all those other platforms that you say also had bugs, etc, etc, and come up with something that far exceeded FSX. There is a substantial division of opinion of the merits and demerits  of FSW. IF it was the 'wow factor some are purporting it to be, we'd all be embracing and welcoming such a new platform wholeheartedly, and dare I say, enthusiastically.

I don't think we are going to get a 'wow factor' with the realatively small developers in the marketplace.  If Microsoft, Rockstar or EA were making a FS title, I'm sure we would be blown away. However, we don't have that; instead, we have smaller companies with less resources and talent.  We need to adjust our expectations for our niche hobby...

Matt King

3 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Remember, if they win, we all win.

Now, that I applaud. It's the way forward at least.

6 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Remember, if they win, we all win. 

A sincere question: What do we win?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

I don't use their train simulator, so I'll accept your assertion as fact. However, I'm willing to give them a chance. The initial effort is ok   Remember, if they win, we all win. 

I felt the same way as you, and after spending well over $1,000 on Train Sim, and seeing things that were sold a few years ago, that still didn't work and never worked from the day one, I removed it from my HD, and said "enough is enough. Soon after that, I got P3D, and have been happy ever since. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see DTG have a good sim, with things that work and good performance, but frankly I don't think they are a company that will do that.