Sign in to follow this  

So I bought FSW after all and well, what can I say...

I am on the fence, but since DTG did not go outside the box and create a "new" sim (looks like a whole lot is straight from FSX code), can't get excited based on what they've done thus far.  It is not fair to claim "look how FSX was when it came out" as that was 11 years or so ago.  Also, look at the advances in pc hardware/software technology since 2006.  Just sayin.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Jeroen .... come home ( P3D ) ...

We will forgive you 

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

A sincere question: What do we win?

I think what most of us crave is for one platform to emerge; something we can all get behind and champion (ala Microsoft FS in its prime). Presently, I'm beginning to think it will be the next iteration of Xplane. After all, it's the only sim not beholden to Microsofts legendary, albeit tired engine. 

• Upvote 1

Matt King

1 hour ago, J van E said:

Ok, I'll bite my lip and leave it at this.

That's a shame, Jeroen. Believe it or not, I was just curious to know your detailed report about what exactly you did not like in FSW, although I suspect that your list would probably be very long. Nonetheless, your report could have been useful for other people who are reading these threads and are still on the fence. Honestly, I have hard time understanding why you decided not to comment after trying FSW having commented so much before doing that. Anyway, your decision.
Also, in all honesty, I have hard time understanding how so many people, in general, decide to try a new simulator, be it FSW, X-Plane 11, AeroFly FS2 whatever, and then uninstall it after a couple of hours. Maybe it's me who is too stupid to understand, but again, this is anyone's decision.

Apologies if anything I said here or in the other thread hurt you or made you feel someway forced to do something you were not comfortable to do. That was not my intention. I think you know this, but I just wanted to make it clear again.

Regards
Filippo

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, beechcaptain said:

I am on the fence, but since DTG did not go outside the box and create a "new" sim (looks like a whole lot is straight from FSX code), can't get excited based on what they've done thus far.  It is not fair to claim "look how FSX was when it came out" as that was 11 years or so ago.  Also, look at the advances in pc hardware/software technology since 2006.  Just sayin.

DTG acquired the rights to the FSX code only two years ago. They haven't worked on this FSW any longer. Or do you expect them to do eleven years of development in that time?

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

40 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Jeroen .... come home ( P3D ) ...

We will forgive you 

Hey, don't speak for all of us! LOL Seriously, have all the fun you can get with Aerofly 2.

I figured you wouldn't like FSW Jeroen, that wasn't that hard :biggrin:. To be honest I also asked for a refund and purchased some airports for P3D instead. But I'll keep following further development of FSW and I may very well purchase it again when a release version is available. I still have high hopes DTG will deliver in the end.

Edited by Rimshot

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

56 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Again, it's early access. Using your argument, why wasn't P3D itital release perfect?  Do I need to remind you of the pluthera of bugs?  The stock FSX textures? Did you immediately dismiss that platform? You do relize that's based on the same tired ESP...right?  So why isn't P3D development further along?  Heck, in the same video you referenced, the authored referred to P3D as a dressed up FSX.  To that end, These 'arguments' are comical.  Like politics, everyone is taking sides; facts be damned...

I'm just curious as to why you appear so agitated? Surely everyone is entitled to express their opinion in a respectful way, which has been done in this thread, even if it differs to yours?

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

I think many of us have a very strong memory of how differences of opinion devolved into such acrimony that the original FLIGHT forum had to be shut down. I think a lot of us don't wanna ever go there again.

Believe me, I've been biting my lip pretty hard as well, but I don't believe the questions I have are worth the probable blowback. I respect Jeroens decision, and only hope I can stick to my similar decision.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

21 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

I think what most of us crave is for one platform to emerge; something we can all get behind and champion (ala Microsoft FS in its prime). Presently, I'm beginning to think it will be the next iteration of Xplane. After all, it's the only sim not beholden to Microsofts legendary, albeit tired engine. 

I have heard exactly what you just stated since the days of FS2004, and it still hasn't happened. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

32 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Well, there is also Aerofly FS2, although the target market seems to be different than X-Plane.

Personally, I'm open to all options. I choose one of these current options as my main sim, but I'll happily fly anything that gives me something I'm not getting there. I'm just not seeing it at the moment in FSW, because my main thing is lower-level flight in bush planes, vintage radials and helicopters. Neither the planes nor the scenery are doing anything for me right now with what I've seen in user videos. 

I am interested to see what FSW does with weather, just as a basis for comparison with other sims, and as a goad for progress in areas that are lacking. But it will have to look better in other areas before I'll try it. There is no point in saying "Look, even FSW does weather better than you" if the rest of it doesn't hold up as a reasonable comparison.

Edited by Paraffin

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

You are the one that is kidding if you expect DTG to fix 20% of the bugs that are in this sim any time soon. That is not the way DTG works. You will hear things like " This is being looked at". "we are working on that" etc. etc. and the next thing, they are releasing DLC and the bugs are still there. LOL.  You'll see,  

EA not mean anything? Maybe you are correct, I played this today for the first time and while there were moments I came away underwhelmed and a little disapointed. However I believe there is a lot more to come, the bugs will be fixed and performance will be great and Alonso will win the Indy 500! I'm not disappointed I made the purchase, I'm looking forward to future updates.

1 minute ago, dtrjones said:

EA not mean anything? Maybe you are correct, I played this today for the first time and while there were moments I came away underwhelmed and a little disapointed. However I believe there is a lot more to come, the bugs will be fixed and performance will be great and Alonso will win the Indy 500! I'm not disappointed I made the purchase, I'm looking forward to future updates.

Be sure and let us all know how that works out for you. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, dtrjones said:

Alonso will win the Indy 500

Fingers crossed, hope so. A real nice guy.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I'm just curious as to why you appear so agitated? Surely everyone is entitled to express their opinion in a respectful way, which has been done in this thread, even if it differs to yours?

Everyone should feel free to express their opinion; after all, it's an internet message board designed to discuss virtual aviation.  If you can't discuss such topics here, where can you go to discuss such matters. Additionally, one should have the freedom to challenge ones assertions. Btw, never try to diagnose tone via a message board. 

Matt King

14 minutes ago, kingm56 said:

Btw, never try to diagnose tone via a message board. 

Thanks for the advice, but your responses to the issues raised can only be described as agitation, and I find that hard to understand why when the topic is regarding a computer game.

David Porrett