Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Has anybody tried running two concurrent sessions of Ortho4XP?

In the latest Ortho4XP update, I saw that it was using Python 3.5, so, I decided to update that...and installed Python 3.6.1 (the latest and greatest).  While I was doing that, in another copy (my test copy for tweaking, here..there..etc) I wondered if one could have two sessions of Ortho4XP running, and generating simultaneous streams of tile generation.  I know there is an option to have multiple tiles created, but is that a parse/sniff, parse/sniff as each tile is built up a little bit at a time, but if you have two complete versions of Ortho running...there would be two full simultaneous generations.  I wonder...might try it...and hope smoke doesn't waft out of the computer cabinet, LOL!

BTW, if anybody wants to also update their v1.20b version to run the latest Python, you need to go to the Python Org site...and download the ZIP Folder version. Then you open the bin folder of your v1.20b, and transfer all that is in the 3.6.1 Python zip folder into the bin main root. Then, carefully start deleting all the 3.5 files, as well as the 3.5 zip file itself.  Make sure you get them all.  Then , the next time your fire up Ortho4XP v1.20b, it will call up the latest Python Engine, namely v3.6.1

There, you have it...

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Hey Ses, Any noticeable differences with the new version of Python?

Thanks,

Greg

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

8 minutes ago, Rainydaze said:

Hey Ses, Any noticeable differences with the new version of Python?

Thanks,

Greg

Hi Greg...actually, I have loaded it into my v1.20b installation, but since I am just finishing up a round of tiles since the early morn, I haven't had a chance to run Ortho4XP under the latest Python 3.6.1.

I intend (hopefully), within about half and hour from this post time, to do just that. I want to capture parts of Tennessee, centering around Knoxville, and will use that Python Engine to generate the tiles. I'll get back to you ASAP on the usage thereof.

South Carolina is just finishing up, running the shipped with v1.20b (Python 3.5).

Cheers, from a seriously addicted, Ortho-Head:blush:

Edited by Sesquashtoo

OK great. I've been idle all week engaged with RW stuff...now it's back to RF (real fun) stuff...

About to Ortho NYC...and think about a very large SSD purchase!

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

1 hour ago, Rainydaze said:

OK great. I've been idle all week engaged with RW stuff...now it's back to RF (real fun) stuff...

About to Ortho NYC...and think about a very large SSD purchase!

I have the prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect storage solution...and so far it is working like a charm.  Go and pick up 4 or 5 4TB WD My Books.  With USB 3 SuperSpeed, I have no lag, constant feed of my z17/19 ortho, cross country, and you can pack each of them up, with creating ShortCuts to the ortho tiles upon each one.  VERY economical, keeps the interior of the computer cabinet at zero gain temps, and is working like a charm.  Right now, I have four of the beasties sitting on top of my tower, one behind the other....one half full, and the other three ready to 'bring er on'.... :)    

If/when I fill those puppies up...I know the pathway to the store....!  Plenty in stock...lol.

For now, you're doing cities within states...and I'm doing complete States within the good old U.S. of A. :))))))

That's my Ortho4XP tile propagation solution, for the whole of North America, parts of South America and a smattering of Europe, here 'n there.  Long live WD USB 3.x multi-TB's My Book's!

Post Edit: "Greg, while you are doing the City of New York, take a look at the Ortho4XP map, and take the time to capture in tiles, the Finger Lake Region of New York State.  Well worth the time....it renders beautifully, and the Finger Lakes, which are a most favorite destination for anybody around the Great Lakes, are hidden gems of the New York'ers...   Invest the time to capture-tile them..all of them...and then take 'er up to 5,500 feet in a high-wing...and enjoy Greg...enjoy the view below you, as you fly over each one them!"

Edited by Sesquashtoo

Sounds like a good plan...Finger lakes here I come...from KBTV across the ADKs towards the lakes and onward....second star to the left! I'll look at that USB drive...and thanks for all the suggestions.  

1 hour ago, Rainydaze said:

Sounds like a good plan...Finger lakes here I come...from KBTV across the ADKs towards the lakes and onward....second star to the left! I'll look at that USB drive...and thanks for all the suggestions.  

Well, I tried to run Ortho4XP with Py 3.6.1 in place.  For some reason, v1.20b still wants to look for 35.dll. and shuts down. I'm going to try and figure this out, but for now...unfortunately, a 'no go'. Still running with the original supplied py3.5

It seems that a multi-TB Western Digital My Book USB 3 drive was made to store tiles... I have 3/4's of a TB created right now....and loads into XP11 just beautifully.  I don't know if one only running with USB 2.0 can do the job...but anybody that has one, only has to try creating a few tiles upon it, and see what gives...