Sign in to follow this  
Guest sb55mv

Strange new problem starting a flight in FS2004

Hi all,I hope someone can point my nose in the right direction concerning a strange new intermittend problem when starting any pre-programmed flight in my very much extended FS2004.When clicking on any pre-programmed flight after FS2004 has started up correctly, the loading process starts quite normally according to the progres line but intermittently hangs at the beginning of "loading terrain". No error messages of any kind are produced and the hang just remains (forever). Cancelling FS and re-starting it is then the only option but it's then a question of luck whether or not the same or other chosen flight hangs again at the same point. However, when such a flight does start normally there are no further problems with the flight itself.I suspect that somewhere in the past an installer program (which I have learned not to trust anymore) has changed a .dll file somewhere in the flight start up process.Does anyone recognise this (intermittend) problem or have any ideas ?RegardsHansHolland

Guest sb55mv

Hi Hans,Oh Dar, I feel you're pain, but, this is just such a minefield of possibilities that it's almost too numerical to describe what it could be,however, all is not entirely lost.ask yourself a few questions, such as, what have I installed lately!,was it OK before this ?have I added or removed any AFCAD files ?have I added or removed any sceneries at all ?and, have I changed any drivers ?also, have you tried deleting the FS9.1 .cfg file, this will cause you're FS9 to start in the default settings again, as if you had just installed it, so be aware that you will loose you're button assignments etc, and will have to re-assign them all over again.this is all I can think of Hans, I'm sorry if it's not the "fix all" answer that you were looking for.also, Before deleting the FS9.1 .cfg, try going in to the settings screen, then "scenery library" and Un-Checking any add-on scenery that you have in there, and see if this improves anything, if it does, then it's more than likely one of those, which means that you can now go back in there and re-enable each one and see when you get the problem again, at that point you have to decide either to get rid of the scenery, or, contact the author of that scenery and ask them if they know what it is.also Hans, when you ask for help like this, put up you're general system specs, this is quite useful sometimes for people to be able to recognise what you are running, and sometimes they are able to spot potential or known issues between one thing or another, I have seen this many times already.best of luck, and if you do get it fixed, please reply in here so that others may see what it was, again, this all helps with problem solving.

Guest gasebah

Try this:Download filemon here:http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.htmlLet filemon monitor the accessed files during the load of the flight. Filter the files in the list for your FS folder files and take a look at the last files FS tries to load before it crashes.That could point you in the right diection.Alex

Thanks alex and Steve for your promt answers. However I've been busting my head in the meantime by trying all sorts of things.First of all Alex, I installed Filemon and tried it out from the point of one of my FS9 hangs but it just kept going on and on with the listing. There is evidently still a lot of file activity even after a hang so I stopped it at about line 17000 and had a good look at the listing but this did not really help in solving the problem. Thanks anyway for your advice, I can always use it for other problems.It now seems that my hang problem is caused by some kind of combination of older addon airport sceneries with Land Class and Mesh sceneries covering the area concerned and later improved general ground textures which some addon scenery.bgl files evidently cannot handle. Even with all these scenery types switched off in the scenery library and reverting back to the original FS9 airport, there were pyramid like mountains even on the start up airport itself and huge mesa type mountains in the vicinity with smaller local airfields partially perched on top of them and down the sides. This could only be seen by starting a flight in a totally different area, "going to the airport" concerned and then by flying around in a helicopter. Strange that this procedure did not cause the familiar hang ups though. This is clearly some kind of a scenery/texture conflict which however could not be resolved by juggeling around with priorities in the scenery library.In the end and as a last resort I have removed all addon sceneries from the area and have stopped flying to and from that airport (Barajas-Madrid in Spain). However, other addon airports in Spain work as they should so it's really no big deal other than that I keep brooding about the original problem !!My system is a water cooled P-4 dual core 3.0 Ghz 800 FSB, 2 Gb Corsair DDR and a ATI Radeon 9800-SE AGP graphics card (also water cooled). Lets hope that a future version of FS will be configured to utilise both cores in parallel because now only one of them is active while the other just sits there and loafs.Thanks Steve for pointing my nose in the right direction.RegardsHansHolland

Guest sb55mv

Hi Hans,you're more than welcome.sorry to hear it didn't cure all the problems for you regarding the scenery.I too am on a water cooled system, being in the UK, we get more bad weather than good, so, my Triple Radiator is out side,just below the window ledge, with a metal cover over it to stop the rain and sun light getting to the three 120mm fans and is vented to let the air pass through it, after it's been round that huge radiator, it's back through the wall and round the pump,then into the CPU and out again right into the GPU, after that it's into the reservoir and back into the Radiator again.I must admit that my system has never run so stably, and performed so well since I did this, and, I was even more pleased at how simple this all was.one thing Hans, I take it you're using a 60/40 mix of de-ionised water and anti-freeze aren't you, to stop any risk of corrosion and furring !all the best,

Hi there Steve,It sounds as though the plumbing in and around your PC was quite a project. I therefore think we may have a lot to blah blah about so if you think the same, please drop me an e-mail so that we can correspond more directly.RegardsHans8343walter.h@casema.nl