Sign in to follow this  
kfd

Fed Up

Anybody else fed up with the constant sniping and criticism of DTG's FSW?  I am totally overwhelmed by the negative postings about this new sim.  It is a pre- release into the flight sim community asking for comment in order to make it better - but instead of this - we see some pretty sharp sniping and whinging from people expecting a golden standard on immediate release.  Personally, I dont' like the initial release, but DTG had the courage to put it out there in its current form asking for constructive comment.  I hope they are successful, but it would be helpful for them to be encouraged rather than be slagged off.

• Upvote 15

3 minutes ago, kfd said:

Anybody else fed up with the constant sniping and criticism of DTG's FSW?  I am totally overwhelmed by the negative postings about this new sim.  It is a pre- release into the flight sim community asking for comment in order to make it better - but instead of this - we see some pretty sharp sniping and whinging from people expecting a golden standard on immediate release.  Personally, I dont' like the initial release, but DTG had the courage to put it out there in its current form asking for constructive comment.  I hope they are successful, but it would be helpful for them to be encouraged rather than be slagged off.

An Author friend of mine told me many years ago, " When you ask a question, you should always be prepared for an answer that you might not want to hear".  

• Upvote 8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Was it courage or do they want development 'funding'?

• Upvote 3

Dwight Heyer

18 minutes ago, dheyer said:

Was it courage or do they want development 'funding'?

I think that after they pulled the plug on Flight School, that left a bad taste in in everyone's mouth, so by releasing an early release of FSW, it would appease the people that bought FS, and it also showed that they also had not given up on FSW. Probably the money that this brought in was minimal at best. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The flight sim community is one of the toughest on developers and it continues to get worse.  After 30+ years in the community, I believe it's because many of the people have above average intelligence (thus they think or know their right) but lack knowledge and experience (both of which have nothing to do with intelligence) in areas of software development, business and marketing.  Add the anonymity of the Internet, and this mixture leads to highly opinionated and even arrogant postings and no matter how wrong, they won't listen to anyone and will simply stick to their guns.  Given the level it's risen to, I can tell you for absolute certain that many developers I know or have spoken with are sick of it and some are considering moving elsewhere - especially because there is more money to be made there.

I have some reservations about DTG goals and their getting into flight simulation without knowing anything about it, or us. Compounding the problem is their terrible interface to our community, which only hurts them and us. But I also remember the doldrums we found ourselves in for many years when there was no base sim development and none planned, and the vast majority of those in the community were wondering if it was the end of our hobby and pleading for someone to move us to a 64 bit platform. DTG at least made an investment into this, and I for one will hold my tongue until I see what direction (game, sim, quality, update to new software capabilities, etc.) before I form an opinion - and it's way, WAY, WAAAAAYYYYYYY to early to do that.  It will likely be a year or longer before any of us can form an intelligent opinion on their work.

Best wishes to everyone.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Upvote 16

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I know, but development is a cost. I did pick this up just to see for myself. Thankfully, I didn't have high expectations. Time will tell. For now it rest on a hard drive.

Dwight Heyer

47 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

An Author friend of mine told me many years ago, " When you ask a question, you should always be prepared for an answer that you might not want to hear".  

Brill touche!

8 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The flight sim community is one of the toughest on developers and it continues to get worse.  After 30+ years in the community, I believe it's because many of the people have above average intelligence (thus they think or know their right) but lack knowledge and experience (both of which have nothing to do with intelligence) in areas of software development, business and marketing.  Add the anonymity of the Internet, and this mixture leads to highly opinionated and even arrogant postings and no matter how wrong, they won't listen to anyone and will simply stick to their guns.  Given the level it's risen to, I can tell you for absolute certain that many developers are sick of it and some are considering moving elsewhere - especially because there is more money to be made there.

I have some reservations about DTG goals and their getting into flight simulation without knowing anything about it, or us. Compounding the problem is there terrible interface to our community, which only hurts them and us. But I also remember the doldrums we found ourselves in for many years when there was no base sim development and none planned, and the vast majority of those in the community where wondering if it was the end of our hobby and pleading for someone to move us to a 64 bit platform. DTG at least made an investment into this, and I for one will hold my tongue until I see what direction (game, sim, quality, update to new software capabilities, etc.) before I form an opinion - and it's way, WAY, WAAAAAYYYYYYY to early to do that.  It will likely be a year or longer before any of us can form an intelligent opinion on their work.

Best wishes to everyone.

I agree with you. FSX has 10 years behind it plus all the other earlier platforms. You can't compare the two. But I did purchase the product and for anyone who did they should be able to comment  pro or con. I not bashing DTG but my opinion is it should not been released.

Dwight Heyer

A good observation, Dave CT2003

1 hour ago, dheyer said:

FSX has 10 years behind it plus all the other earlier platforms.

But so does FSW, as it's based on the FSX code!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I realize that. But it has crossed over to 64bit. I'm referring to the product development time.

Dwight Heyer

I think everyone has the right to love or loathe it or to stay politely indifferent. What I will never understand is why DTG took an old platform, put money into it only to then publish it with most of the old platform's elements missing. Whether you call this early access, alpha, beta, it just doesn't make sense to me. And it surely provokes that answer to the question the developer didn't want to hear.

• Upvote 1

Hans

The constructive criticism & solemn requests are justified. There's a history established on these forums.

I'd bet that if we did a poll of all the unhappy DTG simmers, that most would say that they want FSW to succeed.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I have FSX boxed , P3D2.5, XP10,11 and now FSW. When I first opened FSW I thought 'you're kidding'. Some betas are better than others.  

Dwight Heyer