Sign in to follow this  
kfd

Fed Up

14 hours ago, vortex681 said:

But so does FSW, as it's based on the FSX code!

Nonsense. DTG got the right to the FSX code only one or two years ago. You would be right if they got it ten years ago.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

16 minutes ago, Rimshot said:

Nonsense. DTG got the right to the FSX code only one or two years ago. You would be right if they got it ten years ago.

Not quite. First press releases date back three years ago but the deal was made quite some time before, as Tom Allensworth mentioned at that time, and they certainly did preliminary work on it.

Which makes me wonder about the, well, rough state of their present EA alpha. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

34 minutes ago, pmb said:

If you mean the Estonian people, those seem to have thrown the towel a year ago. No new versions since then, and I doubt their latest version is fully compatible with the latest Prepar3d3 versions, but I have retired it anyway long ago.

Their latest version works flawlessly with the most recent P3D release

1 minute ago, pmb said:

Not quite. First press releases date back three years ago but the deal was made quite some time before, as Tom Allensworth mentioned at that time, and they certainly did preliminary work on it.

Which makes me wonder about the, well, rough state of their present EA alpha.

Thanks for the clarification. But I doubt the relatively small DTG team worked fulltime on Flight School/FSW. They also did a lot of work on FSX Steam edition ofcourse. But yes, 'rough state' it is...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

5 hours ago, JDWalley said:

I find that utterly puzzling, since, froom reading other forums (fora?) here, I get the feeling that, for lots of people, the only reason to not be completely satisfied with the current iterations of P3D or even FSX:SE is the VAS OOMs.

And when you have never had an OOM in P3D like me, the advantage of 64 bit is " none at all". 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

And when you have never had an OOM in P3D like me, the advantage of 64 bit is " none at all". 

Lockheed Martin just announced they have halted development of P3Dv4 as of now, because they found one user on the AVSIM forum who doesn't suffer from OOMs, making the 64bit rendition of the well-known professional flight simulator entirely unnecessary. /s

6 minutes ago, domae001 said:

Lockheed Martin just announced they have halted development of P3Dv4 as of now, because they found one user on the AVSIM forum who doesn't suffer from OOMs, making the 64bit rendition of the well-known professional flight simulator entirely unnecessary. /s

It is now restarted development cause lots of complaining 

Edited by arsenal82

18 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Sorry Bob, this proves absolutely nothing. Believe it or not, I only suffered OOMs in FSX-SE in very rare cases. I can count on my fingers the times I have suffered an OOM in more than 2 years but this does not make FSX-SE any better than it is. It's all about how you set your sliders and configure your hardware. P3Dv3 is an excellent platform with optimized VAS management, however it is a 32-bit platform. Period. There are hundreds of threads of people complaining about VAS management and OOMs.

I understand personal preference, but you can't change physics with wishful thinking.

Edited by barrel_owl

11 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Sorry Bob, this proves absolutely nothing. Believe it or not, I only suffered OOMs in FSX-SE in very rare cases. I can count on my fingers the times I have suffered an OOM in more than 2 years but this does not make FSX-SE any better than it is. It's all about how you set your sliders and configure your hardware. P3Dv3 is an excellent platform with optimized VAS management, however it is a 32-bit platform. Period. There are hundreds of threads of people complaining about VAS management and OOMs.

I understand personal preference, but you can't change physics with wishful thinking.

Who was trying to prove anything ?????? All I am saying is " I have never had an OOM in P3D, so for Me ( following me so far?) moving to 64 bit has no usefulness at all. For the people that are having OOMs, it probably has value.....  Geez!!!!

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Who was trying to prove anything ?????? All I am saying is " I have never had an OOM in P3D, so for Me ( following me so far?) moving to 64 bit has no usefulness at all. For the people that are having OOMs, it probably has value.....  Geez!!!!

Bob, I believe you. The point is: it does not matter whether you or I have OOMs or not. The market is demanding 64-bit!
There are many ways one can prevent OOMs while using a 32-bit platform. Unfortunately, the more addons you pile up, the more you are prone to suffer an OOM or compromise your user experience and with so many 3rd party developers out there, the physical limit of 4GB has been a huge limitation so far. We all know that 64-bit itself will not change other issues, but it is a step forward and if LM and DTG are working on this, I conclude they're doing it for a reason.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Bob, since FSW has come out, the only kind of shoes being worn around this forum, are sandals...if you get my meaning....:dry:

23 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

The flight sim community is one of the toughest on developers and it continues to get worse.  After 30+ years in the community, I believe it's because many of the people have above average intelligence (thus they think or know their right) but lack knowledge and experience (both of which have nothing to do with intelligence) in areas of software development, business and marketing.  Add the anonymity of the Internet, and this mixture leads to highly opinionated and even arrogant postings and no matter how wrong, they won't listen to anyone and will simply stick to their guns.  Given the level it's risen to, I can tell you for absolute certain that many developers I know or have spoken with are sick of it and some are considering moving elsewhere - especially because there is more money to be made there.

I've seen similar things in other communities on the internet.

8 hours ago, Rimshot said:

You've said this several times and it's not true.

They announced the rights to the code in the summer of 2014. And that was the public announcement. It's likely they had it before that.

The award-winning creators of the best-selling Train Simulator franchise have today announced a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting them the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft’s genre-defining flight technology. The company is currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015.

In addition to this licensing agreement, Dovetail Games is pleased to announce that it has also acquired the rights to distribute the multi-award winning Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition via Valve’s popular digital retail channel, Steam, entitled Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

Edited by bonchie

Nah. The major cause of OOM errors from what I can tell is certain addon airliners by a certain company.

I routinely ran UT2 at 100%, in an Orbx region, Active Sky, with the sliders nearly maxed, in P3Dv3 with no OOM issues. But I'm usually flying GA aircraft or the PMDG 737 (not the 777).

• Upvote 1

All of a sudden now we're playing dumb to VAS and OOMs. OK. You're right. FSX is perfect in every way.

1 hour ago, glenecho3 said:

All of a sudden now we're playing dumb to VAS and OOMs. OK. You're right. FSX is perfect in every way.

To be fair, he did say that it doesn't matter to him.

That being said, OOMs are a big deal to many, many users of FSX/P3D and remarks like Bob's initial comment sound uncaring, at best.  I had an OOM the other day as I was fine-tuning my FSX:SE install.  Fortunately this did not happen after hours and hours of flying, but only after a few minutes and during a period of testing/tweaking.