Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

55inch Sony 4k Try it, you will never go back

10 hours ago, oscarduran10 said:

The bigger the size the less ppi though 

Erm, how do you mean? The size of the monitor in no way determines how many pixels there are! If you have a 4k 55" monitor it will have exactly the same amount of pixels as a 4k 34" monitor.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

25 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Erm, how do you mean? The size of the monitor in no way determines how many pixels there are! If you have a 4k 55" monitor it will have exactly the same amount of pixels as a 4k 34" monitor.

Isn't it Pixels Per Inch? So how can a 34'' 4K and have the same PPI as a 55'' 4K when they each have the same resolution, yet the TV is significantly larger?

On 03/07/2017 at 9:27 PM, Angelo Cosma said:

Isn't it Pixels Per Inch? So how can a 34'' 4K and have the same PPI as a 55'' 4K when they each have the same resolution, yet the TV is significantly larger?

I believe they have the same PPI but the pixels on the TV are simply larger.

On 03/07/2017 at 9:27 PM, Angelo Cosma said:

As Nigel has said. If you have a 42" display running at 1920x1080 and a 27" display also running at 1920x1080 then clearly they both have the same amount of pixels, regardless of size. Sit two feet from a 42" display and you can see the pixels. Sit the same distance from a 24" display with the same resolution and you'd be hard pressed to see them. TVs and monitors have different sized pixels depending on the size. http://www.judyofthewoods.net/money/pixels_resolution_dpi.html  :wink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

2 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

As Nigel has said

:huh:

I'm with Angelo. More inches + same number of pixels = fewer pixels per inch.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

3 hours ago, MarkDH said:

:huh:

I'm with Angelo. More inches + same number of pixels = fewer pixels per inch.

Which would mean the bigger 55" 4k would have less pixels then the 34" 4k.

The 55" then wouldn't be 4K

41 minutes ago, nigel day said:

One of us is confused, that's for sure.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

11 hours ago, nigel day said:

You need to think about that some more.

Mick

Howard

4 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

Howard, I'm struggling to see what it is you feel needs explaining!

Perhaps you are using the term 'pixels per inch' to mean something other than its common usage. Put a one-inch ruler against the screen and count how many pixels it spans. Call that number 'pixels per inch'. If the 34" TV and the 55" TV have the same number of pixels, this number cannot be the same for both TVs. In fact I've worked it out for you. Assuming 4K, it is about 121 for the 34" TV and about 75 for the 55" TV.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

44 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Howard, I'm struggling to see what it is you feel needs explaining!

Perhaps you are using the term 'pixels per inch' to mean something other than its common usage. Put a one-inch ruler against the screen and count how many pixels it spans. Call that number 'pixels per inch'. If the 34" TV and the 55" TV have the same number of pixels, this number cannot be the same for both TVs. In fact I've worked it out for you. Assuming 4K, it is about 121 for the 34" TV and about 75 for the 55" TV.

Apologies Mark, I have just reread the posts. Yes, I am referring to the fact that larger TVs have the same amount of pixels as a smaller TV of the same resolution. So there is some confusion of the 72 pixels per inch vs resolution. http://www.knowyourmobile.com/makes/20613/pixels-inch-ppi-what-it-means-and-how-its-calculated

Howard