Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

55inch Sony 4k Try it, you will never go back

In case anyone was wondering about purchasing one of these I just purchased a Sony XBR55X850D 55in 4k to replace a 39in Seiki 4k and the difference in immersion is unbelievable.

Rtings website is what I had been following for the last year and I took there advice.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d

Nick Sciortino

I recently got a Sony 55" XBR55X900E and am also very pleased.

Advantages:

1. Almost full windshield and panel view. Don't need to scroll and pan nearly as much. Easier and more enjoyable to fly.

2. Coming from triple monitor, no bezels blocking gauges, switches, and buttons.

3. Don't need to use Nvidia Inspector SGSS to get rid of shimmering anymore. It is still there but much reduced.

4. Better feeling of immersion due to bigger screen.

5. And last but not least. The screen is further away so I have more room on my desk and I don't have to wear my reading glasses to fly anymore.

Disadvantages:

1. I need to upgrade my 780 GTX to a 1080 ti to maintain performance in heavy weather.

2. Price ( I couldn't wait for the Thanksgiving sales. my triple monitor bezels any longer were driving me crazy).

3. Not the most intuitive thing to set up, especially for PC use, and the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

5. Some text in documents doesn't look as good as on my computer monitors. Hoping that some setting will correct that. Text in the sim is fine.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Having had a 49 inch 4K TV ( the largest size I could fit alongside my 40 inch 4K PC monitor) for 5 months my verdict is that it is great as dedicated sim display but not for general PC stuff.  

Bruceb

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Yup.  55' 4K completely changes the simming experience.  Amazing

I have a 47" sharp as my pc monitor. The end of the year I'd like to upgrade to 4k but I also need a better cpu and motherboard first. By that time this model might be around 500 I see used I can get one for 800 on Amazon.

Don't forget to try DisplayFusion.  https://www.displayfusion.com/

The ability to split a large monitoring into multiple smaller virtual monitors is critical for day to day use (email, web browsing, etc.).  I have mine configured as two 1920x2160 monitors.

Also the ability to add taskbar buttons to flip a window from one virtual monitor to the other, maximize across full screen or just within single virtual monitor, etc. is also very handy.

Same here - I went from 3 projectors to a 55" UHD 4K LG 55UF6450 @30hz  - has been a great experience. I also changed out my two 980's in SLI to a single 1080 Founders Edition.  No longer need to use sparse grid anti-alias in Nspector to removing the shimmering. Everthing is very smooth.

Works well as a desktop too, I'm using Acer GridVista to split out the large screen into 4 virtual monitors.

"You'll never go back" like I listen those who have triple monitors configurations.

And what about those lucky enough who have VR ? :kusut:

Oh... maybe better not to even think about them now... I think I'll hug to my 21" for now... =/

13 minutes ago, gamer19 said:

And what about those lucky enough who have VR ? :kusut:

Not sure about VR but I did start using a TrackIR5 with the 55" and it's a great poor mans VR...

At least with 4K and TrackIR it is possible to read everything. And for some odd reason I can see my hands.😀

This is timely. I’m getting back into simming after 20 years, building a new system and trying to pick a monitor. I’m leaning towards a 1080ti and have a few questions for you guys with the big tvs. It looks like you are all running at 4k:

1. How far back from the screen are you? Are you having any issues with pixilation? Are you trying to hang at the optimum/retinal distance from the screen (55” tv = 43” viewing distance for retinal)

2. How are the frame rates? Any stuttering? Is it a smooth experience? Are you using orbx scenery and other add ons?

I keep looking and a 27-28” screen seems too small. A 32” looks good, but really expensive. Frankly, for the same $ as a really great 32” 4k gaming ips, a 49” - 55” tv looks way more compelling. Just want to get some input from people who have the bigger tvs. Thanks!

Coop

I have 43" 4K TV (Vizio M Series, about $500), which I think is about as large as I'd recommend.  I sit same distance as regular monitor.....about 30".  It's no different than sitting in front of multiple smaller monitors.  It does take some getting used to.  Imagine sitting in front of four 22" 1920x1080 monitors in 2x2 grid with no bezels and that's essentially what you are getting.

I have GTX 970.  Impact on frame rates is probably about 10% compared to 2560x1440 and 20% compared to 1920x1080.  No additional stuttering.

It's awesome.  No regrets at all.

The state of your eyesight is also a factor to consider.  I have my 49 inch 4K display at about 30 inches, any closer I would see pixcels any further away I would need new near vision glasses as the current ones are optimised for normal PC monitor distance.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I too am thinking about getting a 55" tv but I Have questions.  I'm wondering  how you set up track ir and get it working. I have the track pro clip and mount the camera top center on my 30" monitor. If l'm sitting 3' ft away will the camera  still pick up the sensor on my headset that far up? Also l get motion  blur when  panning  with my Dell ultrasharp. It has 60 Hz refresh. Do you get motion blur on the tv's with higher refresh rates like 120 Hz ? Also would a 1080ti card be good enough for high resolutions with a i7-770 o'ck? Thanks for the info.