Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Lua Scripts and Graphic Settings

Hi, I need to understand how this works. I recently downloaded the Advanced Settings UI that uses LUA Scripts to execute Graphic Settings. Do the executed scripts change a file, or do these scripts change something that temporarily exist in memory? 

Thanks

Bob

It really is important to read up on what Lua Scripts do, before getting into the advanced render settings. It's not hard to understand, and can be extremely helpful.  The long and the short of it, the Lua scripts make changes to the datarefs contained within XP, eliminating the need to create your own scripts to makes these changes.  The documentation that comes with the advanced render settings, as well as Fly With Lua are a good start to figuring it all out.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks Jimm, just wanted to make sure they were written to a file. Do you know where these files are located?

Bob

The LUA scripts would be here:

\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\FlyWithLua\Scripts

The extension is .lua but I think you can change to txt and edit them.  

Edited by ryanbatcund
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You don't have to change the extension.  Just open them with Notepad++ or similar editor and edit away.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, N1G said:

Hi, I need to understand how this works. I recently downloaded the Advanced Settings UI that uses LUA Scripts to execute Graphic Settings. Do the executed scripts change a file, or do these scripts change something that temporarily exist in memory? 

Thanks

Bob

To answer your question: the lua scripts change datarefs, that exist only in memory during the run. One should also take note that datarefs are subject to change and those modifications are not supported by Laminar (e.g. if something does not work as expected after an update of X-Plane, try to remove the lua scripts first). 

It is very easy to make the dataref changes persistent with lua scripts, the other option is to download and use the dataref editor (google will find this for you) but this one will not save the changes between runs, so you will need to do them again when you start the sim anew.

Edited by jh71
  • Upvote 1

Thanks All!

Bob