Sign in to follow this  
jt8d9a

FSW.CFG

I have LOD_RADIUS currently at 9.5

Barry Friedman

9 minutes ago, fshobby said:

I have LOD_RADIUS currently at 9.5

What about stutters and FPS? My tests at 6.5 went good so far, but 9.5... wow. 

Edited by barrel_owl

FSHOBBY, whenever I set LOD higher than 4.5, I lose Autogen...no trees, no buildings, etc. Does this happen to you too? If not, how to you overcome this?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

1 minute ago, barrel_owl said:

What about stutters and FPS? My tests at 6.5 went good so far, but 9.5... wow. 

FPS is low relative to FSX on the same system even before I added any tweaks, I'm generally getting around 20-24 FPS in dense scenery areas. Flying in an area like Missouri which has less detail density I'm over 30FPS.

I have not noticed any additional FPS hit due to increasing LOD_RADIUS, and even with the above-mentioned low FPS, the sim runs very smooth.

Nice thing about 64-bit you can crank LOD_RADIUS and not worry about OOM.

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

Thanks Barry! I use now 6.5 for LOD_RADIUS. 

How do i set the default zoom level? WideViewAspect=1 works but i have to zoom to 0.70 and i want this as default zoom level.

1 minute ago, fshobby said:

Nice thing about 64-bit you can crank LOD_RADIUS and not worry about OOM.

Of course, no OOM with 64-bit, but raising the LOD up to a certain level is one of the many ways you end up getting stuttering and low FPS at some point, at least based on my experience. Probably not in vast areas with low autogen density like Missouri, but definitely in others with higher density and mixed terrain.

3 minutes ago, JeffB said:

FSHOBBY, whenever I set LOD higher than 4.5, I lose Autogen...no trees, no buildings, etc. Does this happen to you too? If not, how to you overcome this?

Sorry, I have no idea. Setting LOD_RADIUS for me had no effect on autogen.

Barry Friedman

26 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Of course, no OOM with 64-bit, but raising the LOD up to a certain level is one of the many ways you end up getting stuttering and low FPS at some point, at least based on my experience. Probably not in vast areas with low autogen density like Missouri, but definitely in others with higher density and mixed terrain.

For dense areas get low FPS (24 or lower) regardless of LOD_RADIUS but smooth overall. I guess it varies by system, I'm running this on an ASUS RoG laptop.

Couple shots departing KSJC, which is very dense area and I would get stutters in Flight School, but FSW is acceptably smooth.

yfnt9Il.png

ZAQB8IG.png

• Upvote 2

Barry Friedman

56 minutes ago, jt8d9a said:

How do i set the default zoom level? WideViewAspect=1 works but i have to zoom to 0.70 and i want this as default zoom level.

You'd need to edit InitialZoom for the cameras you want to adjust. Either in the respective aircraft.cfg or cameras.cfg in %APPDATA%\Dovetail Games\FSW depending on the camera.

Steam updates might overwrite your aircraft.cfg settings though, so back them up.

Barry Friedman

Fshobby,

I've noticed the daytime rendering in your screenshots is considerably less "overexposed" than what is typical in FSW.  Are you just doing most of your flying early in the morning or the evening, or have you found a way to tweak the lighting?

15 minutes ago, MadDog said:

I've noticed the daytime rendering in your screenshots is considerably less "overexposed" than what is typical in FSW.  Are you just doing most of your flying early in the morning or the evening, or have you found a way to tweak the lighting?

No tweaks, though I wonder if Shade could be used. I tend to fly in early AM or late afternoon because I always thought FSX looked better at those times of day.

Here's an early afternoon shot. I agree the daytime lighting is a bit bright and could be toned down

1mjtL9P.jpg

Barry Friedman

they have plans to change the sky and that should adjust the lighting.  Its not necessarily too bright.  Its the colors used and also the textures play a role.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I've also played with adjusting the weather, eg the Visibility and Cloud cover, but FSW seems to ignore it when set that way. Also it forces you to choose a theme first instead of letting you directly set the weather. That's annoying. Also not being able to change weather after loading the flight is frustrating.

Barry Friedman

25 minutes ago, sightseer said:

they have plans to change the sky and that should adjust the lighting.  Its not necessarily too bright.  Its the colors used and also the textures play a role.

I'm not sure what causes this problem (brightness, color or saturation), but I think the daylight definitively needs some tweaking. If I take a look at the clouds, they are much too bright - you can not see any structures. And it looks like the ground textures are mostly affected, too.

I've got another problem. If you make a flight at midnight on a moonless night, the night sky isn't really dark.

Patric