Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

V4 Expectations

18 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

Intel provides OC proof versions of i7-7700k for 5.0 and 5.1 OC, but asking price is higher

So, with a 3770k, 32GB, NVME drive, and 2 GTX 780 in SLI,   Do you think I would have to upgrade the CPU/Mobo/RAM right away, or can that 3770k handle a GTX 1080 Ti upgrade without showing too much weakness?  In other words is the GPU upgrade going make the rest of it seem like it's broken, noticeably bottleneck on it?  Or will a 1080 Ti take it a long way by itself?  And then I wonder will P3D4 change that equation much.  

It is up to you. If you can afford new setup, yes it will be better, depends on your current posibility to OC. If you do not buy pre tested CPU for 5-5.1OC there will be save to say that OC will end at 4.8GHz. 

So if your current clock is 4.7-4.8GHz you can expect about 5-10% better perfromance. With higher OC ju get just 3-4% max, but it will be relevant only for CPU focused settings - traffic, objects...

I know about some enthusiasts which sold their i7-6700k which was replaced by i7-7700k, but it is really small difference.

I run i7-4790k and currently I do not plan update as performance gain do not justify price for me atm, especially when I have to buy DDR4 memory as you. Sure it will be fine have better access times for RAM, but again from my personal perspective it is not huge difference. Im not familiar with IvyBridge CPUs, but from SandyBridge it is realtively good upgrade.

Anyway I currently waiting for new CoffeLake CPUs. I bet that Intel will change their price policy little bit due to AMD Ryzen CPUs. There is 6 core i7 announced for no HEDT CPUs, so I will se what it offers. Same there is i7-7740k announced for HEDT platform with 4.5GHz turbo boost while all cores on load.

2 hours ago, Jiri Kocman said:

Intel provides OC proof versions of i7-7700k for 5.0 and 5.1 OC, but asking price is higher

That's interesting! Never heard of this before.

Do these pre-tested CPUs come with a different model name or how can I make sure getting one of these if buying a new one? 

Richard Åsberg

are the legacy scasm objects and fs2002 type GPs still supported?

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

That's interesting! Never heard of this before.

Do these pre-tested CPUs come with a different model name or how can I make sure getting one of these if buying a new one? 

One of our biggest shops offer it: https://www.alza.cz/search.htm?exps=7700k oc 5.0 is 40% more than standard one and 5.1 OC is 60% more.

I guess that is not good offer, especially in europe. You can buy standard one in any online store, try to OC and if it do not provide enough stability, you will return it and get another one for free in 14 days from purchase

40 minutes ago, him225 said:

are the legacy scasm objects and fs2002 type GPs still supported?

Unfortunately not. You may be able to use ModelConverterX on some objects with good results, but by no means all. If the FS2002 GPS was recognised at all by P3D, it would probably CTD immediately.

3 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

One of our biggest shops offer it: https://www.alza.cz/search.htm?exps=7700k oc 5.0 is 40% more than standard one and 5.1 OC is 60% more.

I guess that is not good offer, especially in europe. You can buy standard one in any online store, try to OC and if it do not provide enough stability, you will return it and get another one for free in 14 days from purchase

I just checked and couldn't find a similar offering here in Sweden.

Like you say you could get one and return it if it doesn't perform as expected but you might end up having to return quite a number of CPUs until you find one that will do 5+ GHz and I'm not sure how popular that would be which is fully understandable from the store's perspective.

I'm currently on a 6700K @ 4.5 with low voltage and great temps so that's already quite good.

Richard Åsberg

Can v4 be run minimized? as v3 gives me oom after some time if I leave it minimized. I don't want to tax the hardware the whole while when doing long haul and would like to keep it minimized where fsx/p3d consume much less processing power and produce less heat. It was possible with fsx as it would normally resume but p3d seem to have difficulty resuming after it is minimized for a while.

1 hour ago, him225 said:

Can v4 be run minimized? as v3 gives me oom after some time if I leave it minimized. I don't want to tax the hardware the whole while when doing long haul and would like to keep it minimized where fsx/p3d consume much less processing power and produce less heat. It was possible with fsx as it would normally resume but p3d seem to have difficulty resuming after it is minimized for a while.

I sounds like you need a new PC if that is your biggest issue to be honest.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:14 AM, Schlotterknie said:
  1. 64 bit
  2. 64 bit
  3. 64 bit
  4. Significantly improved multicore support
  5. DX12
  6. New lighting engine

Yes, seeing DX12 implemented in Prepar3D v4 would be great for filling out the virtual world.

My expectations: people will drag all sliders right and start complaining about crappy performance which leads to blurries and problems with memory. :happy:

And btw Windows 10 is the best. 

Anyway, as long as there is landclass based generic scenery with the usual textures being cut off by other textures and vector roads and rivers running through houses I won't be too interested. From the video's I have seen I also still think P3D looks like it is cloudy all the time even on a sunny day. I may buy it though t see how VR is and to fly some more advanced planes which are lacking in Aerofly FS2. I am not optimistic though when it comes to performance. It will probably be the usual FSX-like 30 fps fake smoothness. 

23 minutes ago, J van E said:

P3D looks like it is cloudy all the time even on a sunny day

Jeroen

That's what your post sounds like too.  :)

Come on, you've been here long enough to know that's usually the starting position and then a few months later it's all jump for joy.   This is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.

• Upvote 1

I would love to have the ability to use 1/2 refresh rate vsync back. No matter what combinations of settings and which guide I used, I just couldn't get V3 as smooth as FSX (let alone X-Plane), despite having good fps.

57 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Jeroen

That's what your post sounds like too.  :)

Come on, you've been here long enough to know that's usually the starting position and then a few months later it's all jump for joy.   This is a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.

Haha, yes, well, at least I am consistent in my inconsistency. :cool: I suppose I always start up a bit negative so I won't get disappointed too much. :happy: Still, there a few things I don't like anymore about FSX-base systems and P3D v4 doesn't seem to improve on those things. I will keep a close look on it anyway because of all the addons I have for it in my archive. 

8 hours ago, ErichB said:

I sounds like you need a new PC if that is your biggest issue to be honest.

Perhaps you misunderstood the purpose. Performance is not an issue here as the hardware is fairly new. By minimizing p3d to taskbar I intend to save on unnecessary power consumption and summer air conditioning bill, as well as run other 3d tasks or games instead of having pc reserved to p3d the whole flight duration. I was able to do both when used to fly in fsx.

• Upvote 1