Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

V4 Expectations

My expectation for P3Dv4? 

1. As a FSX user making the move to a new sim, I hope the platform doesn't feel too unfamiliar. It took me ages to get FSX stable with tweeks and tips from post on here and other forums. I am not as tech savvy as many on here so I don't fully understanding what people are talking about some of the time. So I hope this "feeling like an idiot" is kept to a minimum when I make the switch to a sim that is not a Microsoft Flight sim (technically). I just hope I don't break the damn thing.

2. 64bit??!!!?. I hated approaching an airport after a long haul flight only to have the sim crash shortly after I touch down or even worse, just before landing. Hopefully with the sim begin 64bit the sim will have a bit more room to breath. And simmers with more powerful hardware will be rewarded with better performance. FSX had...has too many limitation, especially if you have lots of high end add-ons.

3. Add-ons Library. An advanced base platform is great but it's add-ons that allow me to make the sim I want. I can add features, scenery, aircraft and other utilities that cater to my simming needs. Seeing so many devs I support making products for P3Dv4 and even upgrading older products for the sim makes me excited. It will take some time to get most of my favorite add-ons into my new sim but at least there is some sense of certainty with this platform.  

4. A new licence? It would be kinda cool if Lockheed Martin would make a purchase option for sim enthusiasts. I hope I am allowed to say that???

Last week I was uncertain about my sim of choice moving forward, but this week, a lot of questions were answered. Exciting times for the flight sim genre.

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

1 hour ago, him225 said:

Perhaps you misunderstood the purpose. Performance is not an issue here as the hardware is fairly new. By minimizing p3d to taskbar I intend to save on unnecessary power consumption and summer air conditioning bill, as well as run other 3d tasks or games instead of having pc reserved to p3d the whole flight duration. I was able to do both when used to fly in fsx.

I always minimize P3D V3 (latest version) on my longhauls. No issues resuming at any point. Even 16 hours later. 

46 minutes ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

4. A new licence? It would be kinda cool if Lockheed Martin would make a purchase option for sim enthusiasts.

They do.  Read the licensing terms.

Enough said.

1 hour ago, CaribbeanCLANK said:

4. A new licence? It would be kinda cool if Lockheed Martin would make a purchase option for sim enthusiasts. I hope I am allowed to say that???

From the LM site: "Acceptable uses of Prepar3D include Simulation, Learning, and Training." so you are good to go. Asking and answering this is no problem, discussing the EULA and the choice between pro and academic however is strictly prohibited on this forum so leave it at this or use the PM system for more info.

EDIT

I somehow missed RoboRay's post, sorry.

5 minutes ago, J van E said:

From the LM site: "Acceptable uses of Prepar3D include Simulation, Learning, and Training." so you are good to go. Asking and answering this is no problem, discussing the EULA and the choice between pro and academic however is strictly prohibited on this forum so leave it at this or use the PM system for more info.

EDIT

I somehow missed RoboRay's post, sorry.

Understood. As I am making the switch I have familiarized myself with certain rules relevant to P3D on these and other forums. I have also read the details on the official website. 

Anthony A. Moise

fbsupporter2.jpg

I wonder did they finally fix time zones across the sim globe?

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

On 5/24/2017 at 0:58 AM, denali said:

So, with a 3770k, 32GB, NVME drive, and 2 GTX 780 in SLI,   Do you think I would have to upgrade the CPU/Mobo/RAM right away, or can that 3770k handle a GTX 1080 Ti upgrade without showing too much weakness?  In other words is the GPU upgrade going make the rest of it seem like it's broken, noticeably bottleneck on it?  Or will a 1080 Ti take it a long way by itself?  And then I wonder will P3D4 change that equation much.  

So with preliminary research, but NOT P3D performance considered, just other demanding games, I can expect a doubling of framerates upgrading just to a 1080 Ti compared to 780 SLI.   Moving to a 7700k CPU in the mix, compared to only a GPU upgrade, only adds at most another 20%.  At some point I will test both of those upgrades.  But now, when I can, especially if needed for v4 if really crave that LOD 10 hack, I'll first do a 1080 Ti, I expect.

6 hours ago, calzonister said:

I always minimize P3D V3 (latest version) on my longhauls. No issues resuming at any point. Even 16 hours later. 

Thats interesting. Do you fly in borderless fullscreen? I just tried again, p3d didnt oom but resuming after several hours in cruise it started to stutter heavily with fps fluctuating between 50 and 7 fps. If I went to sim options and came back stutters stopped momentarily before returning. On alt-entering to windowed mode the stutters seem to have not returned, but trying to change back to borderless the sim whited out and stopped working. Do you also have fslspotlights installed, as I might try with it disabled next.