Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Orbx just released the DTG killer...wow...

Orbx LOWI for AeroFly FS2 has been announced weeks ago and, to the best of my knowledge, is due on June 15.
What exactly has been revealed today? And why should it be seen as a "DTG killer"?

One decent VFR Aircraft is all that I ask...this is the only sim with a flawless VR experience until now.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

You can already put high resolution autogen-annotated photoreal scenery into FSW. TrueSky with GPU-based volumetric clouds on the way and FSW is getting a major upgrade to weather simulation. FSW already has AI and ATC. And the water looks like water. PBR rendering for aircraft, Missions, lessons etc. And devs pretty much already know how to develop for FSW, should be relatively easy to port existing addons.

But yes AF2 looks neat, though with it only supporting raster terrain imagery, it seems a bit limited. Good luck sourcing high-res imagery for the whole planet. In any case I'll be more interested when it's not necessary to buy multi-thousand dollar development tools in order to use their SDK. Does AF2 have seasons? Correct positioning of celestial bodies for the night sky? How about navaids?

• Upvote 2

Barry Friedman

8 minutes ago, jt8d9a said:

flying circles over LOWI gets boring.

Yeah, that's why I don't find this very interesting. I'm a low-and-slow sim pilot in bush planes and helicopters. I need scenery that looks good everywhere, not just at a few (expensive) airports,

Aerofly FS2 uses orthophotos as the terrain base for the world, and I can't stand seeing squashed buildings, squashed cars, blurry terrain, and scenery that doesn't respond to sunlight angle and color. I know there are many fans of orhtophoto-based scenery out there, I'm just not one of them.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

38 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

This really doesn't belong in this forum.  Especially with the hyperbolic, inflammatory remarks by the OP.  

Correct. And by the way one of the first posts on OrbX is "move aside P3D." So WHEN this product matches FSX, XP and P3D in terms of completeness and systems, it would beat all other sims, not just FSW. Why single out FSW?

I dare OP to use AF2 exclusively for six months. You don't want to because it's not close to matching other sims in other areas.

And for the record, I'm rooting for AF2 and basically every other sim. AF2 has a ways to go outside of graphics. I tried it.

29 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

just a head's up, that something as new is just a month away.

Thanks, for that, MItch

11 minutes ago, jt8d9a said:

From which airport will you be able to fly to LOWI?

I have nothing to back this up...but from what I am cryptically 'sniffing' from comments of John over so many months of the A-project, is that they are probably going to flood with simultaneous releases. Look at the resources they assigned in team-work to make Innsbruck take on life, such as we have not seen to date...John and the Orbx cohorts, are solidly behind this graphic engine, not even needing to 'label' the engine as AF2...they also see the writing on the wall, and wish to show just what their tech can do, outside of the historic confines of the ESP-based parameters.  My Lord...look what they produced!

BTW, perhaps a Moderator will take this thread over to AF2, or Hangar Chat.  The word is out, now...and some members feel uncomfortable with this thread inside this forum.  If readers wish to post within, it can be done anywhere upon AVSIM.

I can agree with this, as the OP.

Cheers, all.

6 minutes ago, vc10man said:

Thanks, for that, MItch

Most welcome, knowledge, has always been about power of choice.

With so many members not happy with what was released in the long wait for FSW, even as Early Release structure,I just thought to share that they now have a pretty massive performance option if they so choose, and also enjoy the Orbx scenery umbrella. There is choice, now other than ESP based, excluding XP.x

Can't hardly understand this thread. Apparently, I can't find any real news on the Orbx forum that we did not know already until few hours ago. Or maybe am I missing something?

Anyway, I owe AeroFly FS2 since Day 1 and purchased all the DLCs so far available. While I love it and strongly support it, I can't see the relation with DTG FSW and why the LOWI release should be considered as a DTG killer. AeroFly FS2 will be hopefully a serious competitor for all the current major platforms (FSX32, FSW, P3D, X-Plane11) in a couple of years or maybe more.

ESP is dead? Not yet, at least not as long as developers will seriously start investing on AeroFly, which I obviously encourage. I've heard similar statements (Ezdok is dead when Chaseplane was announced) just two days before Ezdok v2 was released. No more hype, please. Back to reality.

I´m sorry, but they announced that ages ago, even before FSW was announced. I don´t see the point of this thread being created in here. I don´t mind, I know Aerofly since its first version, but it clearly doesn´t belong to the FSW forums.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ca_metal said:

I´m sorry, but they announced that ages ago, even before FSW was announced. I don´t see the point of this thread being created in here. I don´t mind, I already know Aerofly since its first version, but it clearly doesn´t belong to the FSW forums.

Sure they announced it, but now we can see what is coming a month from now.  I have no problem with this thread being moved to where ever. No problem at all. I created it in this forum, because of so many that have come to this forum to post their angst and disappointment in the release.  I read them all...and wanted to post there is a serious alternative to  FSW, FSX or P3D, should they wish to check it out, by no-longer, merely promised scenery vapor-ware. What they enjoyed as scenery, in an ESP-based flight sim, will now be available in an alternative solution, and it is gorgeous!

2 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Sure they announced it, but now we can see what is coming a month from now.  I have no problem with this thread being moved to where ever. No problem at all. I created it in this forum, because of so many that have come to this forum to post their angst and disappointment in the release.  I read them all...and wanted to post there is a serious alternative to FSX or P3D, should they wish to check it out, by no-longer promised scenery vapor-ware. What they enjoyed in and ESP-based flight sim, will now be available in an alternative solution.

Look the date the thread about it was started, april 28th. It´s almost a month old. This is what I´m pointing out, that´s not new info.

Oh, dear......

This thread probably won't end well.....

Sesquashtoo, couldn't you have done something safer? Liked kicked a beehive, or jogged towards a momma bear and its cub?

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

10 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

..and wanted to post there is a serious alternative to  FSW, FSX or P3D

Again: AeroFly FS2 is by large the most promising simulator out there in my opinion, however it is not yet a "serious alternative" to FSW, FSX and P3D. X-Plane is currently the alternative to the aforementioned platforms. Aerofly FS2 is still an early access. Maybe and hopefully it will be our reference platform one day, not today. No simulator will ever succeed as long as it is not supported by a robust 3rd party ecosystem.

1 hour ago, TechguyMaxC said:

This really doesn't belong in this forum.  Especially with the hyperbolic, inflammatory remarks by the OP.  

Mitch is the king of hyperbole.

NAX669.png