Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

night lighting - any plans that can be revealed?

The night lighting in XP11 is awesome and it appears that the just announced P3Dv4 will have some sort of similar volumetric lighting (if that's the correct word).

So Im wondering what are the plans for the night lighting.  At first I couldn't decide if it was Orbx or DTG's responsibility to fix but then I thought that maybe it is the way it is now because you (DTG) have some plans for something much better.  or at least that what Im hoping.

any news/ teasers etc would be appreciated.

• Upvote 2

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

22 minutes ago, sightseer said:

The night lighting in XP11 is awesome and it appears that the just announced P3Dv4 will have some sort of similar volumetric lighting (if that's the correct word).

I don't think volumetric is the right term, but maybe every sim calls it something different.

In XP I think this is referred to as "Global Illumination," which is the ability to define a discrete light source anywhere, like street lights or aircraft lights, and have it throw illumination into the scenery. As opposed to being baked into a texture. And yes, it would be great if this is in the works for FSW. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

It´s dynamic lighting the correct term, I guess.

Prepar3d V4 won´t have it on the stock scenery. Probably they will implement it globally sometime in the future, like they did now with speedtrees (You can activate them globally).
DTG doesn´t have night lighting for now, I hope we have a good surprise when they implement it.

I just watched a couple of youtube vidoes for TrueSky and that looks fantastic.  I wonder if they deal with all light sources or just the sun and moon.  If its a physics based lighting model then maybe all lights could be implemented using TrueSky. I have no idea.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

11 minutes ago, sightseer said:

I just watched a couple of youtube vidoes for TrueSky and that looks fantastic.  I wonder if they deal with all light sources or just the sun and moon.  If its a physics based lighting model then maybe all lights could be implemented using TrueSky. I have no idea.

Their site doesn´t talk about lighting on trueSKY, look:

trueSKY™ is the most advanced and reliable sky system available.The trueSKY™ SDK generates weather system data and updates it in real time. trueSKY™ creates volumetric cloud and atmospherics data on the GPU, and provides realtime access to that data via a lightweight API. The SDK is cross-platform and renderer-independent.

Dynamic lighting is a very important feature that needs to be in FSW. Scenery lighting in FSX is an absolute misery and in the end you can never quite get it looking right, though I know enough techniques to muddle through, but what a pain...

Barry Friedman

I've spent the past many years working on improving lighting in aircraft as well as scenery. I'm looking forward to the new dynamic lighting possibilities in P3Dv4. I hope that eventually this will be added to FSW as well! :cool:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

51 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I've spent the past many years working on improving lighting in aircraft as well as scenery. I'm looking forward to the new dynamic lighting possibilities in P3Dv4. I hope that eventually this will be added to FSW as well! :cool:

i was also hoping for some lighting changes on P3Dv4 but as of today for what i been told v4 did not get any changes in the lighting department 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

Just now, rtodepart said:

i was also hoping for some lighting changes on P3Dv4 but as of today for what i been told v4 did not get any changes in the lighting department 

I don't know your source, but I can assure you that the new "dynamic lighting" (where the lights actually illuminate other objects in the scene) is present and working well in P3Dv4. I've been testing it for the past few months. :cool:

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 minute ago, n4gix said:

I don't know your source, but I can assure you that the new "dynamic lighting" (where the lights actually illuminate other objects in the scene) is present and working well in P3Dv4. I've been testing it for the past few months. :cool:

thanks for letting me know , now i got questions for my source , someone is feeding me the wrong info lol ...

Image removed as image is no longer available.

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

How do you interact with them from a devs point of view. Ie if I wanted to place a spotlight on a high pole... do I attach a 'light' and define the colour, size, strength etc?

5 hours ago, NZ255 said:

How do you interact with them from a devs point of view. Ie if I wanted to place a spotlight on a high pole... do I attach a 'light' and define the colour, size, strength etc?

Perhaps this part of the thread should be taken to the P3D forum? Hint, hint.

Give people power to really test their personality.

50 minutes ago, SamYeager said:

Perhaps this part of the thread should be taken to the P3D forum? Hint, hint.

Oh whoops - didn't realise I was in the wrong room. haha

P3Dv4 will have limited light source - 256 - if i remember correctly. Nothing huge and will be used on some specific parts of scenery or AI simobjects. 

But do not expect something like that in FSW now. It takes about 7 years to implement in P3D, FSW need some evolution and it takes time. They have solve problems which LM was solved during long time development, DTG cant do it instantly. Just remember P3Dv1. It was mostly 1:1 copy of FSX, FSW is over FSX.

25 minutes ago, Jiri Kocman said:

P3Dv4 will have limited light source - 256 - if i remember correctly. Nothing huge and will be used on some specific parts of scenery or AI simobjects. 

But do not expect something like that in FSW now. It takes about 7 years to implement in P3D, FSW need some evolution and it takes time. They have solve problems which LM was solved during long time development, DTG cant do it instantly. Just remember P3Dv1. It was mostly 1:1 copy of FSX, FSW is over FSX.

"it *takes* about 7 years to implement"

No.  It took that long to be introduced into the sim as a feature, that does not mean it took a tremendous amount of time to write the code to support the feature.  FSW already seems to have a different lighting model than stock FSX.  For all we know the devs have already written the code to support global illumination and just need to enable it.