Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Early RAM considerations

7 hours ago, J35OE said:

Jordan King mentioned already that a GTX 1080 will not be sufficient for the highest graphics option and  +10GB VRAM will be necessary :ohmy:

Wow... really?

I have a 1070 and have been beta testing with everything maxed... no issues.  Where's Mr. King getting this info?

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

4 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Wow... really?

I have a 1070 and have been beta testing with everything maxed... no issues.  Where's Mr. King getting this info?

I agree and Mr King is using a 980ti in his first look! Not a series 10 card!   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-JIAbBUUbM

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

54 minutes ago, WarpD said:

Wow... really?

Jordan was talking about the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP (exponent) and the increased VRAM required if you increase the default value of 8 to either 9 or 10.  He says that a setting of 10 could require 8 to 12GB of VRAM.  That discussion starts at around 10:25 in his video.

• Upvote 1

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

The default setting for TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP is 8 . If that produces similar to what we have with v3.4 with scenery textures, than we should be fine for now. I'm understanding that this increased demand on VRAM is because v4 can handle/address potentially more individual textures for higher quality that will require more VRAM.

I need to look at what Jordan King said I the video again. If I can get what I had in v3.4 with dynamic lighting and increased autogen distance, I'm a happy camper.

13 minutes ago, LRW said:

Jordan was talking about the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP (exponent) and the increased VRAM required if you increase the default value of 8 to either 9 or 10.  He says that a setting of 10 could require 8 to 12GB of VRAM.  That discussion starts at around 10:25 in his video.

I used 10 from the first time L-M told us the entry existed.

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

4 hours ago, WarpD said:

I used 10 from the first time L-M told us the entry existed.

I wonder if there is any noticeable difference between settings 8 and 10?

Thanks,

For OP, from JV post on ORBX phorums 16GB is mandatory to take all advantages. Currently I was trying FSW which is mostly default and it can easily eats about 6-7GB even lower lod, lower autogen and so... I was able pus Flight School to use 15GB with  high LOD radius.

I can imagine that 16GB is decent amount for good visuals with addons. Take in account that it is not just SIM in memory, there is OS, background apps and so... I bet that heavy loaded P3D will suffer from OOMs with 16GB RAM. Currently I'm flying with X-Plane 11 little and I getting OOMs even I have 24GB RAM..

15 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

I wonder if there is any noticeable difference between settings 8 and 10?

Thanks,

Scenery have to be prepared for this I guess.