Sign in to follow this  
SamYeager

Pro Mission Editor?

I've been checking for it periodically, no sign of it for me. I guess it'll turn up eventually.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

At long last it appeared this morning in my steam library. As other people reported, there are a bunch of error dialogs on startup about not being able to locate FSW install location and a lots of other files. I got some of the errors to go away by copying the propdefs folder from FSW into the mission editor folder. There is a preferences dialog that displays some relevant paths (two of which point at my FSX folders LOL). These paths don't seem to be editable, and the FSW path is blank. I poked around in regedit but could not find anything to fix there.

I had a ticket already opened so I reported all the errors in the ticket. I'll follow up if I make any progress.

I'm wondering if this is based on Jim Keir's FSX Mission Editor, if so the manual for that product might be of help given the lack of documentation.

Barry Friedman

1 hour ago, fshobby said:

I'm wondering if this is based on Jim Keir's FSX Mission Editor...

Yes, it looks identical...

Same here, it will install but triggers lots of errors when you crank it up, preferences want to point at where FSW is but I cannot type or paste in the correct path and it also wants to know where the SDK is, which might be another problem since I understand there isn't one available yet. I assume this will be sorted but I'm not sure why they have made it available to install if it cannot be made to work at this point.

Alan Bradbury

I think the only thing mission editor wants the SDK for is to get at bglcomp.exe for compiling reward files. Installing the P3D v1.4 SDK will give you a working bglcomp but I don't know if the mission editor would find it automatically. In any case the reward file is a separate thing and easy enough to create manually. The other tool from the SDK is the simprop compiler to turn the mission xml file into an spb file but I imagine most people don't bother. I think once we get the FSW path issue sorted it should be possible to get started.

Barry Friedman

It just showed up for me in tools as well.

Those warning messages are for features I suspect they will release later. They probably stripped them out until they get the final features in.

I agree that without a manual, it is tough to use.

I think I've sorted out the error messages.

First, the mission editor is looking for the following windows registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Dovetail Games\Flight Simulator\1.0]

And under that key, a string value pointing to the FSW install folder is needed:

"AppPath"="F:\\SteamLibrary\\steamapps\\common\\FSW\\"

F:\SteamLibrary is where I installed FSW, you'd need to change the value to your FSW install location. You can add the above using regedit.

In addition it looks for Scenery.cfg under "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\DFS"

Note that instead of DFS it should be FSW.

I did the following at a command prompt:

cd "C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games"

mklink /j DFS FSW

This makes a link called "DFS" that is aliased to FSW. This is better than copying the folder in case the FSW contents changes. Note that a regular desktop shortcut will not work.

WIth the above changes I can start the mission editor successfully.

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

Just FYI it looks like if the tool saves or loads flight or weather files, it will use the "Flight Simulator X Files" folder in My Documents, which is wrong.

Barry Friedman

Personally, I think I'm just going to wait until it can install correctly via a Steam download or whatever. I'll be interested to see it in action and have a play with it, but I'm not in any particular rush to do that.

Alan Bradbury

Yup, it's not worth messing around with registry edits if you're in no big rush. I sent the above info to DTG, I'm sure it's a trivial change to use the correct registry entries/folders and they'll have that fixed soon.

• Upvote 1

Barry Friedman

5 hours ago, fshobby said:

I think I've sorted out the error messages.

That's some good detective work. :thumbsup: Good to see you've updated DTG with the info. I finally got to see the editor yesterday as well and I have raised a ticket about all the error messages. It does raise doubts about DTG's QA or more to the point the lack of it. :(

Give people power to really test their personality.

You guys are fast! Good to see it's showing up for you now. 

Aimee Sanjari

Brand Manager, Dovetail Games

Forum_Pilot_Banner.jpg

Aimee or Cryss, it would be nice if you guys could create a short video of making a mission with the same version of the mission editor we have as an example of how to use it.

If you could make the mission start at a designated airport, takeoff and fly to a VOR then to a final airport. There doesn't need to be ATC as I realize that is going to change. It would be nice if you guys would show us how to start at a parking stall and set the state of several controls for the aircraft (like cold and dark). You don't need to do all the controls, just one each of a couple different types of controls. Also how best to add a flight plan. Can we create one on Skyvector.com and use it? 

Where are you guys finding this editor? It is not on my Steam game list.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

1 minute ago, warbirds said:

Where are you guys finding this editor? It is not on my Steam game list.

In Steam, look in Library then in the Tools list. The name is "Flight Sim World: Pro Mission Tool". It's been very slow to show up in the Tools lists. Some people saw it almost right away after launch and some of us just started seeing it yesterday.

Barry Friedman