I get it if mods move this to the hardware forum but that just isn't seeing nearly as much traffic as this forum today and this is specific to V4.

Anyway... I'm contemplating a new build for V4 but don't know which way to go re: Ryzen or i7 (or wait for i9). Are there any V4 beta testers/developers that can offer some insight?

I think your best bet is to just hold off a few weeks. I don't think they've said anything about more multi-threaded improvements, so I'm expecting it to be about the same as P3D v3 - ie. benefiting more from high clock speed/IPC than core count, so the 7700K would still be the best CPU if your only concern is P3D.

But we won't know for sure until it has been out "in the wild" for a while and the general public have had a chance to test it with a variety of addons under different conditions.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

@Chapstick My thinking exactly. Could "feel" V4 almost brewing away so have been holding off from an upgrade. Currently running 4770K and 2 x 780ti in SLI but wondering if more threads will become more beneficial, either immediately or more so overtime (I.e. As more add ons get loaded on).

As JimmiG says, probably time to wait a bit longer. This is no bad thing - will allow (I hope) a bit of a price war to start between Intel and AMD (or at least a little skirmish 😉)  and will allow prices of 1080Ti to stabilise a little a hopefully drop off of that cutting/bleeding edge. Only down side might be M.2 drives may go up as I understand NAND supply is tightening.

Unlike a number of others, I'm also accepting that a number of add ons will be left behind as we progress forward and other, new one side will take there place ... at a cost. Such is life; money makes the world go round I guess 😳

Lets see what develops over the coming weeks.

Rob

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, Chapstick said:

I get it if mods move this to the hardware forum but that just isn't seeing nearly as much traffic as this forum today and this is specific to V4.

Anyway... I'm contemplating a new build for V4 but don't know which way to go re: Ryzen or i7 (or wait for i9). Are there any V4 beta testers/developers that can offer some insight?

technically  for gameplay i7 is lot better,

but if you're 3rd party developer, Ryzen would be more better choice. 

According to some beta testers' words, V4 handles better Multi-core tasks now. You could hold off for few days. V4 offers 90 days free trial, notice it's not a refund guarantee offer. You can check it by yourself :)

Cheers,

Gordon 

Gordon Harvey

P3D, XP11, Flightgear.

from the few videos I have seen about p3d 4, the i7 7700k will still be the best option, it's been said may is the worst time to buy hardware, I don't know what your budget is going to be, but sky lake and kaby lake-e come out at the end of June, the 8 core CPU's have a turbo boost of 4.5 GHz, if that's true, Intel will still be the best option with the high clock speed compared to ryzen,after i see the reviews i plan on stepping up from a 7700k to the x299 platform if it has really good single threaded performance, the fact p3d is still using the esp engine will almost certainly tell us clock speeds will be the most important factor.if I take away the oom issue in p3d v3 I can max it out with my current 7700k at 5ghz, a gtx 1080ti and 32 GB of ddr4, with my 2 patriot hellfires in raid 0.i wouldn't buy until after Computex and wait and see what's out there.

It's been pointed out in this thread: 

That P3D still has one "heavyweight" thread doing most of the work and a bunch of worker threads that do other tasks as needed.  That means the fastest clocked, highest IPC CPU you can find is your best bet.  In this case, Kaby Lake i7 is your best bet (or upcoming Coffee Lake if you don't mind waiting a few more months). 

A guy offered me a new Ryzen 1700 for putting a 1950x Threadripper.

He was going to use it but said he came into some money and so the Ripper? He brought all the parts over. 

I decide to get a mobo and got a ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme. Put it in a Phantek etho full tower. Used a 1000 watt PSU.  Installed a Samsung 512 NV/ME ssd in m.2 slot one.   BIOS saw the ssd and everything looked good. shut down and installed a 500GB WD HD.  Put the temp., AMD 390 video card in. Rebooted, could not get into BIOS. Suddenly a loud pop and a few sparks beneath the video card! Power switch OFF! A small IC chip was scorched  Got online with Amazon and returned the board. They had a new re-placement on the way in minutes, 2 day free shipping.

New board wouldn't allow me into the BIOS. Cleared the CMOS and used the designated USB port to update the BIOS with the machine off. No go. I thought perhaps the ssd got hammered, it did. As soon as I pulled it out the machine it went into BIOS and updated the latest BIO file 1701 that I installed thru the USB port. I got a label printed up to return the ssd. They offered a refund, must be short of them?

Any how the BIOS offers a gaming overclock setting, used it and the CPU is running at 4GHz. I had the memory at 3200. It dropped to 2450 or whatever. I put it back to 25XX. will work further on it. The 1700 come with a stealth cooler. The CPU at 4GHz is 41c. I think I won the silicon lottery. A water cooling kit may be in this rigs future?

At KJFK sitting on the runway I get 35 +- FPS. I haven't had time to make a flight, I can tell this machine will be really good. I don't have XPlane, only FSX Steam.

Best

BaldyB