Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

11.02b1a Released

40 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Then about 4 minutes into the flight...all of a sudden...WHAM...I went from chunk 7-10 wavering back and forth from top to bottom readings, to WHAM...44 FPS, then staying between 38-44 FPS, and smooth.

When starting a flight with a lot of ortho textures, especially high ZL, that is my normal experience.  When the flight first loads my HD is still making lots of noise as it has not finished loading all of the ortho scenery yet.  Depending on where I am flying, this can take up to 3 more3 minutes before the framerate picks up and I can fly smoothly.  By the same account, you will suddenly experience stutters and a lower framerate during a flight when you reach the point where more orthos need to load.  I usually pause the sim for a minute and wait for them to load before continuing.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Actually quite amazing of the performance improvement in this update. Just did a flight with the IXEG... currently wondering if I should switch to the upcoming Prepar3D V4. There's just something in X-Plane's lighting engine, which create a completely unique atmosphere.

• Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

1 minute ago, turnandbank said:

When starting a flight with a lot of ortho textures, especially high ZL, that is my normal experience.  When the flight first loads my HD is still making lots of noise as it has not finished loading all of the ortho scenery yet.  Depending on where I am flying, this can take up to 3 more3 minutes before the framerate picks up and I can fly smoothly.  By the same account, you will suddenly experience stutters and a lower framerate during a flight when you reach the point where more orthos need to load.  I usually pause the sim for a minute and wait for them to load before continuing.

I too have experienced the same thing Martin.  I have some custom orthos for areas I frequent, and at first load, the sim is still loading ortho while I'm in the cockpit.  After about 30 seconds or so, the fps increases to norms.  I'll get some low fps when crossing different ortho tiles as well.  I'm pulling my custom orthos from an external drive via wi-fi (which has a ton of space) so I deal with it, but XP recovers nicely.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

4 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

This update has killed off my XPlane 11.  I am only getting a very choppy 8-9 FPS since the update.

Gawd, I hope I can roll back somehow...

Anytime you want to rollback from a beta to latest stable realease operation is quite simple actually.

run xplane installer, uncheck "search for betas" option then clic update. The installer will tell what is the latest stable release available and when you confirm it will roll back nice & smooth.

Manuel Merelles

2 minutes ago, Anders Gron said:

Actually quite amazing of the performance improvement in this update. Just did a flight with the IXEG... currently wondering if I should switch to the upcoming Prepar3D V4. There's just something in X-Plane's lighting engine, which create a completely unique atmosphere.

I've honestly been on the fence of upgrading P3D, but the bad experiences I had before are something I really don't care to revisit, especially not after being spolied with the better performance of XP11.  The good thing is that none of the sims are going anywhere (neither is my archive of content) so if I find something earth-shattering with something else, i may give it a go, but not right now...having too much enjoyment from XP.

• Upvote 2

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

1 minute ago, Jimm said:

I've honestly been on the fence of upgrading P3D, but the bad experiences I had before are something I really don't care to revisit, especially not after being spolied with the better performance of XP11.  The good thing is that none of the sims are going anywhere (neither is my archive of content) so if I find something earth-shattering with something else, i may give it a go, but not right now...having too much enjoyment from XP.

Well said, Jim!
Agreed.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

43 minutes ago, Anders Gron said:

currently wondering if I should switch to the upcoming Prepar3D V4

39 minutes ago, Jimm said:

I've honestly been on the fence of upgrading P3D

Guys please revert your P3D talk to the respective forum, P3DV4 means WAR and X-Plane doesn't take prisoners. Now please wash your mouths with soap and think twice; the 1990s served in 64-Bits are still the 1990s.

• Upvote 3

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

2 minutes ago, frontendrob said:

P3DV4 means WAR and X-Plane doesn't take prisoners

:laugh::laugh:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

3 minutes ago, frontendrob said:

Guys please revert your P3D talk to the respective forum, P3DV4 means WAR and X-Plane doesn't take prisoners. Now please wash your mouths with soap and think twice; the 1990s served in 64-Bits are still the 1990s.

Considering all the buzz generated throughout AVSIM about FSW and P3D v4, it is understandable that conversation will cross platforms.  As an informed consumer of flight simulation products, it is difficult not to make comparisons between each of them, because why not?  My statements were not meant to generate any emotional responses, just feedback based on current and previous experiences.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, frontendrob said:

Heh....  :happy:

Personally I welcome all new entrants to the 64-bit flight sim sweepstakes. X-Plane will keep moving forward regardless, and a little outside stimulation in the area of weather, ATC, etc. will be a good thing for this platform.

As for P3Dv4, it looks like it's finally including dynamic lighting, but I heard (not sure if this is accurate) that it's only supporting 256 light sources. That's plenty for the aircraft, but not enough for a large airport, let alone a full city. So far, it doesn't look like XP's night environment has strong competition. 

• Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

58 minutes ago, frontendrob said:

Guys please revert your P3D talk to the respective forum, P3DV4 means WAR and X-Plane doesn't take prisoners. 

I use and love both sims. Guess I'm a spy :)

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

2 hours ago, turnandbank said:

I think this could be perhaps it...I just got home from errands, and am ready for some sim time. I'll keep an eye on my My Book busy light...and see if it is flashing...and I am not going to move the plane until I see the FPS rise to 'normal'. I'll let you know if that was indeed my 'case' in a later post.  Thanks to all for all your help, and possible solutions. Thanks again.

Ses

So well said Paraffin. Especially now that X-Plane 11 is regularly talked about and even given as a standard to which other softwares are compared on the other side of the fence. More and more people appreciate different simulators for their specific strengths.

Cheers,

Pascal

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Heh....  :happy:

Personally I welcome all new entrants to the 64-bit flight sim sweepstakes. X-Plane will keep moving forward regardless, and a little outside stimulation in the area of weather, ATC, etc. will be a good thing for this platform.

As for P3Dv4, it looks like it's finally including dynamic lighting, but I heard (not sure if this is accurate) that it's only supporting 256 light sources. That's plenty for the aircraft, but not enough for a large airport, let alone a full city. So far, it doesn't look like XP's night environment has strong competition. 

Well...weirdness abounds. I'm right back up to my 56 FPS, over z19 Ortho.  

I wonder if there are new shaders ?!??  that had to create files, ( who knows) that happened in my first run of XP11.02b, and that took computation resource time.  Dunno...but ever since that first time, my FPS have been actually climbing back up to the 56 FPS range, that prompted me to post about that yesterday.  So...who knows...but I do know one thing now...what a blast, again!  We are back in the XP11 saddle...and galloping along, on a horse named;  Steroid-FPS. :ha:

4 hours ago, turnandbank said:

The great FPS 'theft' as been solved, and there was no crime committed, lol

Exactly as you stated, and actually, I can't believe how much scenery data is being loaded...probably right up to my system max of 12 GB!   From the time I was plopped down, at an airport surrounded by z19 for two km's out...and then z17 for the rest of the world, my 4TB My Book 'busy' light didn't stop flashing for (I timed it...), for a total of: 4 1/2 minutes!   XP was accessing that drive for 4 1/2 minutes, with the FPS meter showing 7-10, fluctuating.  As soon as the busy light stopped flashing, WHAM, FPS available, were 37-44, just sitting on the tarmac.  I then decided to sit back and let A. I. fly the plane..and was moving around 28-38 at taxi, depending on what airport scenery was in view.  As soon as the A.I. pilot left the ground, and banked, my FPS shot up to 48-56, and pretty much stayed at my ceiling (doesn't go over 56 at any time) of 56.   They did a great job on optimization...and I learned to now know that my flight won't start (go get some coffee, donuts, whatever...) for about 5 minutes on my system, as XP is stuffing itself with every GB available to it.  

So, knowing that...everything is good to go...and I won't worry anymore of seeing those low figures...for 5 minutes later...the good times are gonna roll...:))))

Cheers, all, and happy XP 'orth'ing.  Create some, if you haven't already, and join the Z Flying Fraternity:happy: