Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

11.02b1a Released

You responded before reading my full post.  I accidentally hit submit while I was editing it for the correct info. And I submitted the edited version before you submitted your post, so you should have checked it before continuing the argument.  

As I said, it will download and install the latest release version by default (since the beta box is unchecked by default), but I wouldn't recommend checking the beta box for the reasons I give above.  

A bit testy tonight, are we?

I'm seeing a ~5fps improvement in this beta, which is really good. Nice to see optimisations finally going in.

7 hours ago, wb5okj said:

LOL, we all twiddle and tweak. Actually that is what a flightsim is for, to see how to tune our computers to be the fastest gun. :-)) No matter how fast it is, there is always more.

Correct. In my experience flight sims have been the only reason to upgrade PC.

I guess Intel/Nvidia should pay hard cash to LM or LR.

The more I read Ben's blog, the more knowledge I glean from LR's development, behind the scenes.  It appears that one of LR's biggest goals, is to make XP11 more efficient in how it processes data.  I see that there is a bigger push to transfer a lot of the processing to multiple cores now, which is a big plus on both fronts.  I also sense that they are truly listening to customer feedback, particularly about gpu RAM.  Many people have migrated to XP11 with older cards with lower VRAM, so there is general concern about performance, and LR is taking action to help alleviate the load.

At least for my system, I have found that the level of tweaking and fiddling is a lot lower, in comparison to other sims, with the majority of changes happening within the settings menu, and a couple of random changes in the nVidia control panel.  Countering that though, LR's approach to the KISS method, still has it's downside, with the stripped down UI settings, as opposed to a more advanced approach, which in my opinion, could still have been implemented with a simple "advanced" button, opening another window to get to the deeper settings.  Granted, there is still the method of manually changing settings within the settings.txt file, though I don't condone it, and neither does LR.

My hope, in the long run, is that LR sorts out the performance pretty quick and then shifts over to features that are still lacking, although I get the sense that their roadmap has some order to it.  If they get the performance organized, then it sets up the sim to accept the newer features, like seasonal textures and weather. :biggrin:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

This update has killed off my XPlane 11.  I am only getting a very choppy 8-9 FPS since the update.

Gawd, I hope I can roll back somehow...

23 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

This update has killed off my XPlane 11.  I am only getting a very choppy 8-9 FPS since the update.

I hate to say "I told you so", not that long ago by performing parallel installs of XP11.  In fact, when I upgraded last night, there is a button you can click to install a second copy...sorry, didn't mean to rub it in. :biggrin:

What you CAN do, is move your install, or rename it, re-download the STABLE version of XP11, activate it, get it up and running, and then just move all your custom content over to the new install.  You'll have to activate as necessary, any add-ons that require it, but that should leave you in a good position now.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

opt out of beta and it will roll back. the only thing you can't do is roll back to older betas

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

You may have tried this already, but the time-honored first move when having problem is to delete your -- /Output/preferences/X-Plane.prf -- file, and let X-Plane rebuild it on the next launch. It won't change your controller setup.

Edit to add: I just ran the update, and the installer noticed that I had changed the background image for the main page (see other thread about this). It asked if I wanted to keep old file, which I did. That's a nice touch. I was wondering if it would just overwrite that file with every update.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

9 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

You may have tried this already, but the time-honored first move when having problem is to delete your -- /Output/preferences/X-Plane.prf -- file, and let X-Plane rebuild it on the next launch. It won't change your controller setup.

Edit to add: I just ran the update, and the installer noticed that I had changed the background image for the main page (see other thread about this). It asked if I wanted to keep old file, which I did. That's a nice touch. I was wondering if it would just overwrite that file with every update.

Anything that the installer detects that has change, it'll want to replace it, when an upgrade or version change occurs, but as you pointed out, you are prompted whether or not to keep, and yes, it is a nice touch. Having a 'smart' installer is a welcome change from other sims, where it's pure "slash and burn".

I really like the performance improvments in the latest beta. On my first test flight I cracked the world object density to max and even though the fps at LOWW were at 30 the sim was very smooth with almost 0 stuttering. Before the update, setting object density to max, would choke my CPU causing massive stutters.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Thanks all, will check out your advice to get back my performance

Ok, this is crazy...and no explanation....I didn't do anything other than try once more to run XP11.02b

It started off on the runway, 7-10, stuttering, animation stuttering, choppy, cars chunking along.  I got the plane up into the air...at 8 FPS...chunking...terrible performance. Nothing was changed on my system. Nothing was changed in sim.  Then about 4 minutes into the flight...all of a sudden...WHAM...I went from chunk 7-10 wavering back and forth from top to bottom readings, to WHAM...44 FPS, then staying between 38-44 FPS, and smooth. WTH?

Anybody care to explain that one?

Post edit 2:   This is totally weird.  First time I ran XP11.02b1 it was D.O.A.  8-10 FPS max and chunk stutter. I ran  it twice since updating, and right out of the chute, 44 FPS.  What is with this?!?!?!?  I now have a constant 37-44 FPS, and have even cranked Textures from high, to Max (un-compressed) no hit on the FPS.  I have no idea why running XP11 the first time right after updating, did a number on my FPS and smoothness performance. Nothing of course was changed in the sim settings...nothing. Just the download. I sure would appreciate an explanation, so I can try to understand this.  Run 1....crapped out. Run 2...5-7 FPS better than previous version running over z19 Ortho.

Ses

Hm, maybe a failing hardware part?

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

7 minutes ago, Denco said:

Only if it happens on and off with other flight sims and games too.

It sounds to me like a resource conflict, with some background process grabbing CPU cycles, RAM, or disk activity while XP was trying to do its thing.

Reboot the computer and make sure no other resource-intensive programs are running in the background.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

7 minutes ago, Denco said:

Personally, I think it's Sesquashtoo's server farm he has for his ZL19 orthos...probably pulling too much juice off the national grid. :laugh:

• Upvote 1

I just sat down for a couple of hours and tried the stock and all my 3rd party planes and it's just rock solid for me. A cannot believe the fluidity. Once I get away from KSEA, my frames are into the upper 40's and low 50's. Taking off on 34 and heading for the city, I am in the upper 30's low 40's.   The only setting I have held back are reflections. I am maxed out and smooth as can be. I am so so happy with this sim. I  only have 1 glass cockpit Aircraft and that is the Aerobask eclipse. It too does not seem to have much impact on the frames nor the fluidity. I would have never thought a couple of years ago that XP would be where it is.