Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The next Best Thing would probably be...

Just one caveat with regards to "play time" in the train sim. This also includes what might be regarded as passive, i.e. non-driving (or "running" as it tends to be known west of Atlantis) time spent in the route or activity editors. Activity creation in particular can be very finicky and every little change made has to be driven from scratch in the sim, to ensure your structured scenario doesn't fold like a pack of cards at the first junction.

True, but it is still part of the sim activity in the same way that people doing repaints for FS in Photoshop is part of the use of FS in the wider sense, and that wouldn't even show up as play time at all. My post was in no way truly scientific with regard to either exact figures for users or cash spent overall, rather it was intended to illustrate the idea DTG are some kind of DLC evil empire who want to monopolise us all into buying only from them, yet despite that contradictarily apparently don't know what they are doing when it comes to sales, is just about the most ludicrous contention anyone could possibly make.

I wish all sims well and all developers well too, because I really love simulators and so I've got pretty much all of them - P3D, AeroFly FS2, X-Plane 11, FSW, DCS, Ready For Take off, plusTrain Sims, Truck sims, Farming sims, you name it lol

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I agree with Chock I think some of the anti DTG post are based on fear that this will someday replace FSX, and have the broadest base platform beginner and advanced flight simmer,

therefor attracting the third party developers like FSX did and having a wider market appeal, compering a finished product with an early access product is pointless.

Ray Fry. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Hi Chock,

When to you find the time to use all of these sims, I am having problems just using one (fsx-se).

I am also supporting FSW, let's hope for the best.

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

48 minutes ago, helberger said:

Hi Chock,

When to you find the time to use all of these sims, I am having problems just using one (fsx-se).

I am also supporting FSW, let's hope for the best.

Well, owning them is one thing, finding time to use them is quite another lol. I'm hammering FSW at the moment because I want to become familiar with it, so I'm doing all the missions, most of which are fun and one or two of them are pretty challenging I think, and as luck would have it (both good and bad), bad that I got really very ill recently and have to take it easy for another week or so, and good in that as a result of said illness, I have a bit of time to mess with FSW at present.

Like some others here on Avsim, I take quite a philanthropic attitude to sims and add-ons and like to 'spread the love' a bit, in that I tend to buy stuff to support developers whose efforts I appreciate and like to encourage. As such I even bought Aerosoft's youngster-targeted Ready For Take Off A320 sim, even though it is hardly a sim aimed at me and although I hammered it a bit initially to check it out, I must admit it's not been fired up for quite a while, then again, since I was in hospital for a bit recently, neither was anything else.

Similarly, I was keen to give X-Plane 11 a fair shot, since although I did buy X-Plane 10 (and the ones before it for that matter), I never really liked 10 very much, I bought a couple of DLC planes for it, but I never really though much of it as a sim. X-Plane 11 is much better and I've got a few very nice add-ons for that too now, but in my opinion it's still a long way from being a complete sim what with it having fairly crap ATC (which I replaced) and a crap flight planner (which I also replaced) and crap AI (which again I replaced). The replacements only really make it workable rather than a truly likeable sim experience for me, which is a shame because the Flight Factor A350 I bought for version 11 is an amazing add on and personally, I think Flight Factors are amongst the best sim airliner developers out there, and yes, I am including FSL and PMDG when I say that, of which, Flight Factors are every bit the equal when it comes to creating excellent airliner add-ons. so again, I was hammering XP11 in the few weeks before I fell ill.

At some point I will probably get hold of P3D's new version, but unlike many, I genuinely only do use P3D for academic purposes as per the EULA for the version I own a license for. thus it only gets used intermittently and I don't have that many add-ons for it. This i see as okay, since I hardly think Lockheed Martin need any philanthropy from me lol.

Similarly I have DCS and Aerofly FS2, but I'm not hugely into combat sims and whilst i do think AFS2 has potential, it does need a lot of functions adding to it to make it the kind of sim I'd want to crank up a lot.

So normally, like yourself, FSX-SE is the sim I use when not in 'experiment mode' as I am at the moment with FSW. A big thing for me will be to see Air Hauler in FSW, since it is one of my favourite sim add-ons, and given that Just Flight appear to be very receptive to FSW, and the fact that Air Hauler is available for almost every main sim platform, I suspect that will transpire.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

FSW is going to be my GA sim. I am very pleased with it. I think the future looks bright ( like the runways lol ) and if what I have heard about "True Sky" it makes me glad I decided to come along for the ride.

• Upvote 3

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

13 minutes ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

I think the future looks bright ( like the runways lol )

:biggrin::biggrin:

• Upvote 1