Sign in to follow this  
SidekickUBT

Are blurries a thing of the past with v4?

According to one of the videos reviewed yesterday, sounds like LOD radius / texture loading has been vastly improved.

Hoping I can maximize my 16GB and GeForce GTX Titan Black (6GB).

Tim

I expect that 16GB is nice starting value for heavy loded sim. FSW can easily take 7GB with lower lod, less autogen, no addon scenery, no complex aircrafts and addons.

Same if you will use "tweak" for better quality textures. 6GB VRAM seems too low, Jordan King was saying something that 8GB will be not enough. Aned that tweak will help with blurry textures.

Anyway LOD radius will be increased, so less room for blurries, but from wath I can see on vids and screens, There are still some blurries in distance.

They've made improvements but depending on your configuration I wouldn't say they are a thing of the past. There are still those who will slam all the sliders full right and bring the system to it's knees. As with earlier versions, a little care will still be required but LM has made it easier.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I can probably get my wife to let me upgrade to to LOD 9 without too much drama (8GB GTX 1080), but I might have to put my foot down and beg for LOD 10 (11GB GTX 1080 Ti).   Lots of drama in the weeks to come. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, denali said:

I can probably get my wife to let me upgrade to to LOD 9 without too much drama (8GB GTX 1080), but I might have to put my foot down and beg for LOD 10 (11GB GTX 1080 Ti).   Lots of drama in the weeks to come. 

The sad thing is the 1080 Ti is borderline as its 11GB VRAM is technically below the maximum amount necessary to run that texture exponent setting.  May just have to wait for 16GB cards or pony up now for a (gulp) Titan Xp.  

Do you mean the Titan X?  Wait!  The Titan XP?  er, Titan X pascal?  Eeeerrrr.  Wait .. What?

I've been pricing 1080ti's today. Man, this is an expensive hobby. So should I hold off on a $700 11gb gpu and wait until the 16gb's come out? I'm running a lowly 960 4gb card right now. 

1 hour ago, jbrett2634 said:

I've been pricing 1080ti's today. Man, this is an expensive hobby. So should I hold off on a $700 11gb gpu and wait until the 16gb's come out? I'm running a lowly 960 4gb card right now. 

I'm in the same boat, though I have an 8GB 1070 (but still want an upgrade).  The choice is either buy a $700 11GB 1080 Ti, a $1200 12GB Titan Xp, or wait for 16GB cards (hopefully) soon.  

• Upvote 1

I think I would stay put if I had a 1070 and wait. Although I have no clue and have done zero research to have an idea when the 16 GB cards will come or even if they will. I almost purchased a 1070 when buying parts for my latest build but was hesitant to see what was coming. I'm glad I held off, although it's still going to suck making the next purchase. 

6 minutes ago, jbrett2634 said:

I think I would stay put if I had a 1070 and wait. Although I have no clue and have done zero research to have an idea when the 16 GB cards will come or even if they will. I almost purchased a 1070 when buying parts for my latest build but was hesitant to see what was coming. I'm glad I held off, although it's still going to suck making the next purchase. 

If I'm honest, the 1070 is doing fine, I'm just a performance nut and an eye candy freak so I always want the next biggest, best part.  I had a 2016 Titan X until earlier this year when I sold it. Had I held onto it I wouldn't be looking to upgrade again any time soon but I also wouldn't have that $1200 in my pocket either...

4 hours ago, denali said:

Do you mean the Titan X?  Wait!  The Titan XP?  er, Titan X pascal?  Eeeerrrr.  Wait .. What?

Titan Xp is exact name of NV product. It is latest Titan released after GTX1080Ti, it means that it is best performing gaming GPU on market - https://www.nvidia.cz/graphics-cards/geforce/pascal/titan-xp/

3 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I'm in the same boat, though I have an 8GB 1070 (but still want an upgrade).  The choice is either buy a $700 11GB 1080 Ti, a $1200 12GB Titan Xp, or wait for 16GB cards (hopefully) soon.  

2 hours ago, jbrett2634 said:

You can buy NV Quadro P5000 and P6000. First one with 16GB, second one with 24GB. And there will be profesional Vega with 16GB, but gaming Vega will be 8GB. Anyway LOD_RADIUS do not affect VRAM too much but RAM, but TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP will affect VRAM much more than RAM.

Back to OP. Look at ORBX screenshots - http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/135405-prepar3d-v4-64bit-orbx-preview-4k-screenshots/ with TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 is looks much better, but still there are blurries on distance. With default TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP there is more blurries closer to plane.

4 hours ago, denali said:

LOD have mostly no impact to VRAM, but higher LOD will introduce stuttering and bad berformance and propably OOMs as LOD says how far scenery will be loaded, plus how far will be best textures used. TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP is different.

Videos I saw of V4 looks like microstutters galore. I highly doubt you will push textures even close to what you guys are talking about. Probably need a high end desktop with enough PCIE lanes to handle this. I suspect even a OC Kabby lake won't cut it at high LOD. We will see in a few more days.

I can already hear the swell of complaints that x64 isn't going to be the magic bullet that everyone thought it would be

• Upvote 1

Maaaan, this new 64 bit toy is going to break a few banks and ain't mine I'm referring to...:laugh:

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Blurriness is clearly going to be less likely with the improvements 64 bit and CPU utilisation bring, providing one has the right hardware to make use of all that grooviness, but you know flight simmers, they'll push things, as will developers and at some point we'll be off again in the same way that people buy a massive hard drive and think they'll never fill it, until they do lol.

Even if that were not so, the day a new piece of flight sim software comes out and you don't see someone on Avsim b*tching about it within minutes, is about as likely as me becoming the next Pope. :laugh:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here