Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

My impressions of V4 after watching AirDaily X

I watched almost the entire broadcast last night on AirDaily x and thought it was quite interesting They had some very knowledgeable Developers speaking during the program, and after carefully listening to what they had to say, I came to these conclusions. 

1 The biggest advance was moving P3D into the 64 bit world. This cured the OOM problems for anyone that was having that problem. I have never had an OOM, so that issue really had to no benefit for me. 

2. There were only a few changes in the program, that went along with 64 bit, but not very many. Flight physics were untouched, UI almost the same, some rain effects, and a few others. Nothing that jumped out at me, frankly. 

3. Then next issue, which they spent a great deal of time on.. was add ons and what would happen to them. Just yesterday, companies like A2A, Active Sky, Orbx, have already announced patches that will be ready for version 4. The problem is going to be with the older add ons, where the developer is no longer active, or possible had modules in their add ons that they acquired from a 3rd party,  and they don't have the rights to modify those modules. Already Milviz announced that some of his products may be modified to work with V4, and some will not. Only time will tell if your particular add on will eventually work in V4. So if someone has older aircraft add ons or possible programs like RC4 , or Dodosim Helicopter, for instance, they may never be upgraded to work with Version 4. 

4. The major problem for me is this next one, FSUIPC. There was a long discussion about the fact that possibly FSUIPC will not be available for Version 4. Many in the chat room on this broadcast, stated that this would most likely be a deal breaker for them moving to version 4. I feel the same way, I am not willing to give up FSUIPC which I rely heavily on for control assignments and calibration for all the various aircraft I fly. In addition, some add ons require FSUIPC in order for them to function properly. 

So I think at this point, I will stay with V 3.4, read the reviews and reports of V4, and see how the progress of porting the add ons into Version 4 progresses. If I was presently having issues with version 3.4, I would probably make the move being aware that I was going to possibly lose things that I liked in my present sim, but since I am not having any problems at all with 3.4, I see no rush to make the switch. 

• Upvote 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The cfg change to allow higher res ground tiles is a huge positive of v4 not to mention the new AA modes 

• Upvote 6

It's called 'evolution'. It should have been done right from the start, but we all knew it was bound to happen someday and that most surely all addons that use compiled code would stop functioning, unless some sort of emulation was provided.

If this didn't happen, people would keep complaining about how memory runs out and why do we have great airport addons if we cannot land there.

I can't wait for users to start pushing every bit out of P3D V4 and getting out of... VIDEO memory :p

• Upvote 9

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Hi!

In my humble opinion to have no problem with VAS means you don't use "heavy" add-ons or you - like me - choose a compromise by disabling some sceneries or lowering some parameters. We have to forget "compatibility" if we really want a flight simulator that can, in the future, offer significant improvements.

Good companies such as ORBX, PMDG, HIFI sim etc ...  are already working to provide support for the new P3D version. This is perhaps possible because they have always programmed their own products according to the rules (SDK I suppose), in this case, of the LM. A new 64bit flight simulator should not be compatible with old add-ons or, again, we won't see any improvements imho.

Anyway I'm extremely curious to see the potential of this new upcoming version and I'm quite sure that my credit card will be used next week :biggrin:

Regards, Max

• Upvote 2

Massimo Solimbergo | MY PC =  MoBo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-H CPU: Intel I7-9700K + Noctua NH-D15 RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2400Mhz CL15 GPU: GTX1080 SSD: Samsung 970EVO+ 1TB + 970PRO 512 GB + 840 PRO 512GB OS: Win11 Pro 64 Monitor: Samsung SJ55W PERIF: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog + TPR SIM:  MSFS + P3D v5.3  WX: ASP4+ASCA+TOGA EnvText+REX EF Planes: FSLabs A320 | PMDG 777-737-747 Sceneries: ORBX | FlightBeam | FSDreamteam | Simwings | Aerosoft | FlyTampa | 29Palms | UK2000 Utilities: Navigraph FMS+Charts Subscription  VA: UKvirtual (www.ukvirtual.co.uk) Online Flying Network: VATSIM with VPilot

Thank you very much for your interesting remarks, Bob. Me too I'll stay for the time being with v.3.4. I have a ton of mostly freeware planes that I fly a lot in 3.4 and that will not work in v.4

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

7 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

Thank you very much for your interesting remarks, Bob. Me too I'll stay for the time being with v.3.4. I have a ton of mostly freeware planes that I fly a lot in 3.4 and that will not work in v.4

At this moment, I am almost exclusively flying helicopters, and have 4 already and was going to purchase a 5th in a couple of weeks. None of them will work in Version 4 presently, and no time frame is available for when and if they will be upgraded. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Very odd review.

What about trees and building going out to the horizon, ground textures pin sharp and that does not jump out?

Speed trees with  heli would be amazing?

But I do agree we need FSUIP.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks Bob for your interesting conclusions. I think my initial approach will be to run v3,4 along side v4. I will move my PMDG aircraft , Orbx global, vector and land class, Fly Tampa, Dreamteam, Flight Beam airports to V4. 

Greg

• Upvote 1

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Good initial report, brother Bob, thanks.

As someone who encou8nters OOM often, I look forward to this 64 bit P3D.

I am sure Pete already has v4 in hand and already has a comparable FSUIP done.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Very odd review.

What about trees and building going out to the horizon, ground textures pin sharp and that does not jump out?

Speed trees with  heli would be amazing?

But I do agree we need FSUIP.

Either I don't see the issues you mention, or it doesn't bother me and I have many hours flying in the real world, at low altitudes. I have OrbX FTX regions in Alaska, for one, and having flown there in real life, It looks pretty darn good to me in 3.4 

Bob you always do this, "am not going to the next patch update for xyz".....then 6 months later....It's not like we all cannot run V3.4 and V4 side by side. I will wait till everything I need will work in v4. But V4 is where we need to go. 

I also don't have OOM, but something else you did not call out that is huge, dynamic lighting. 

So we can run 4096 res VC, airports with real dynamic lighting, trees that move with the wind. LOD out to a new level. 

You stay with 3.4 if none of that seems good. Enjoy!

• Upvote 6

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Bob you always do this, "am not going to the next patch update for xyz".....then 6 months later....It's not like we all cannot run V3.4 and V4 side by side. I will wait till everything I need will work in v4. But V4 is where we need to go. 

I also don't have OOM, but something else you did not call out that is huge, dynamic lighting. 

So we can run 4096 res VC, airports with real dynamic lighting, trees that move with the wind. LOD out to a new level. 

You stay with 3.4 if none of that seems good. Enjoy!

Glad I have your permission, I was very worried about you not approving  of my decision. I am so friggin relieved. :cool:

I am getting...excited...

spacer.png

Bob if you want to post "impression" then I suggest you include a ton of amazing new things, not leave them out to justify not going to v4. At lease give people more insight, than your narrow minded "impressions" 

I don't care what sim you use. I just wish you gave a more informative "impression" than 64 bit is nothing to me and FSUIPC and my heli does not work. :blink:

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Bob if you want to post "impression" then I suggest you include a ton of amazing new things, not leave them out to justify not going to v4. At lease give people more insight, than your narrow minded "impressions"

David, these were my impressions. Do you understand " My impressions". Since you are such a smart &@($*, why don't you list for us the ton of amazing things that you are talking about, .I'll be waiting for you to post this list, and trying to make some ridiculous attempt to prove that you are right and I am wrong regarding my decision at this point in time.  

By the way, you are a very insulting and rude person, I hand that to you.