Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mcewen4444

Flight1 MD80 or B200

Guest Mcewen4444

Hello everyone, I am trying to deceide what my next payware puchase will be and would like some opinions from those that have both the Flight 1 MD80 and B200.I know it is like comparing apples to oranges, and I have read about both, but which do you consider more fun? As in between the two which do you spend more time with?I like in depth systems modeling and realistic FDE's. I understand both offerings are quite good, guess what I am looking for is which offering is more immersive, that something that is hard to determine by looking at screen shots, especially comparing two aircraft that are vastly different.As far as which aircraft I spend most my time with these days, just to give an idea as to how I use the sim:LDS 767, Freeware Bac 111, Cloud 9 104, Realair Spit, Freeware Christen Eagle, Freeware Bell 412, F1 ATR -- these are the ones I spend most my time with. Not into GA much in the sim,as in the slower Cessnas and Pipers, been there done that in the real world.By the way, my first post here, but been lurking for over a year, looking forward to hearing opinions.Thanks, John

Guest dpc

I own the B200 and fly it quite a bit. I HAD the MD80 and asked for a refund. It is apples and oranges but it's what I did. The B200 is outstanding.Dave

Like a lot of expensive, complex add-ons, the F1 MD-80 wasn't really ready for release when it was made available. Unlike a lot of expensive, complex add-ons 2 months after release, it STILL isn't ready for release.I realise that the designer Espen is trying to fix that situation and is extremely flexible and responsive, but the fact remains that only a couple of beta gauge patches have been made available thus far. There have been no improvements to other elements such as the model, the FDE and, critically, the performance, especially in the VC which is wholly unacceptable on my system, which is relatively up to date. Note that these are personal opinions and as such are subjective. Regards,

Guest Boogie

I'll put in a vote for the MD80! Don't know why Dave asked for a refund, but this plane has a great support forum where you can converse direct with the developers. Like most complex aircraft, it had it's initial problems, but these are being resolved (it runs well on my system (P4 3.4, 1gig ram) and it is clear from the forum that many other people are happy with it). As for the plane itself, you will certainly get in depth systems modelling (complete with built-in tutorials) and (I understand) a reasonably realistic FDE, which is to be improved in the upcoming patch. I can't speak for the B200, but the MD80 is certainly immersive and will fit in with the rest of your hangar.Hope this helps,Boogie.

Guest Peter Sidoli

I have both and am waiting for the MD80 patch. If I was going to give an award for the best aircraft for purely immersion and a sense of really being there then that award would go to the B200.I am sure that the MD80 when patched will also be wonderful.Peter

I also have both, and have been flying the MD80 a lot despite it already mentioned flaws. However, I tend to fly airliners the most. The Aeroworx B200 is a completed product and I use it whenever I want to do a flight of about 200-300 nm into smaller airports. I use Milton Shupe's AeroCommander for low and slow. The MD80 will be a superb add-on once it is patched. My main issue with it right now is the autopilot which is not well-executed. There is also some FDE issues (e.g. very nose high attitude at cruise, decreasing power above FL250). The MD80 is fantastic for systems integration. Its configuration manager runs internally in FS, which I don't like as I believe it takes resources away from the computer for FS. However, a number of people really like it for its convenience. Mike

Guest dpc

Sure, I can respond to the refund. It was probably just a matter of expectations and we all know that that's purely a personal thing. Mine may have been too high based on other payware I own. It also has to do with the fact that I fly almost exclusively in VC using TrackIR. I just didn't find the gauge and frame rates in the VC up to par with other addons that I have. Again purely personal. I know many folks have spoken well of the MD80 and I'm glad they are enjoying the A/C. I just opted to take a refund since it available in this business. I own a whole pile of F1 stuff for that very reason. This is also the first refund I've requested from them.Dave

Guest cschmokel

I, too, was put off by the VC gauge refresh rates on the MD80. I've been spoiled by the LDS767 and PMDG747 in that respect. However, Espen has promised that the refresh rates will be improved in the next patch. He didn't realize that the more VC sections you've got, the worse the gauge refresh. Last I checked (several months ago), he already had them reduced from something like 8 to 4. Once he gets them down to between 3 and 1 you should be quite satisfied with the VC refresh rate.Carl

Guest Mcewen4444

Thanks everyone for your opinions, likely I will get the B200 now and wait till the MD80 is patched. John