Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

A Word of Caution when updating add ons in V4

One of the changes in V4 is that LM changed the simulators CFG files to Unicode to support universal character sets in the future.

This will present problems to any program that modifies the sim cfg files. There is potential to destroy the formatting which will destroy such configuration files requiring a complete uninstall/flush/reinstall of P3Dv4.

Any product that does the following could potentially destroy your configuration files.   This includes things like:

• Add, edit or delete texture or autogen entries to TERRAIN.CFG
  • Add, edit or delete scenery layers for you
  • Edit simulator settings settings outside of the simulator (like traffic, graphics settings, etc)

Products that do this will need to be updated before use, so be aware.

We'll all be tempted to see if our favorite addon will work but just be aware that if does not have official word from the vendor that it is compatible with V4, you could run a risk of having to reinstall. So before any USER posts that xyz is compatible, please be sure that there are no hidden side effects.

Vic

• Like 2
  • Upvote 11

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Yes, that one was on my mind too! I use their .cfg file sorting ability quite a bit and the livery manager.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

One of the changes in V4 is that LM changed the simulators CFG files to Unicode to support universal character sets in the future.

This will present problems to any program that modifies the sim cfg files. There is potential to destroy the formatting which will destroy such configuration files requiring a complete uninstall/flush/reinstall of P3Dv4.

Any product that does the following could potentially destroy your configuration files.   This includes things like:

• Add, edit or delete texture or autogen entries to TERRAIN.CFG
  • Add, edit or delete scenery layers for you
  • Edit simulator settings settings outside of the simulator (like traffic, graphics settings, etc)

Products that do this will need to be updated before use, so be aware.

We'll all be tempted to see if our favorite addon will work but just be aware that if does not have official word from the vendor that it is compatible with V4, you could run a risk of having to reinstall. So before any USER posts that xyz is compatible, please be sure that there are no hidden side effects.

Vic

The terrific freeware text editor Notepad++ can convert any file with a wayward character set back to Unicode, in the event that one encounters an unruly addon. It's also possible that an addon won't even be able to read a Unicode cfg file in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

One of the changes in V4 is that LM changed the simulators CFG files to Unicode to support universal character sets in the future

It would be a good idea directly asking LM about this, just because they're saying P3Dv4 will be "Unicode compatible". I did it already, let's them confirm.

Thanks for the heads up. Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

They mentioned over at the Aerosoft forum that SimStarter would support V4 but we would have to wait for an update. In some ways the features I used to help save VAS and improve loading times probably don't matter as much with 64bit however the profiles make switching between them a breeze.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4

45 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

The terrific freeware text editor Notepad++ can convert any file with a wayward character set back to Unicode, in the event that one encounters an unruly addon. It's also possible that an addon won't even be able to read a Unicode cfg file in the first place.

Yes, as long as you have perfectly clear what files a certain addon touches...

I don't think that this issue will cause too many problems. Unicode is backwards compatible with ASCII because ASCII is a subset of Unicode.

• Upvote 1

As I understand it, the problem could come if the cfg file format is not maintained by the program making the edits. This could make it unreadable by P3D which could then result in either a reinstall or deleting all created content and letting P3D rebuild them. This would initially result in addons being disabled.

Until there is clarification from LM I would still suggest being aware and making an informed decision.

Vic

Vic,

It is not the format of the text file but rather how each individual character  is mapped into an 8 bit byte. ASCII uses only 7 bits of each byte to map all its characters. Unicode uses the 8th bit to map a large number of additional  characters, most of which are hardly ever used in written English. Hence, most often the two character sets are interchangeable. However my guess is that LM  wants P3d to be suitable for other languages  that use special characters  qualified  with accents like umlaut, for example.

Jay

Yes, I am aware of the difference Jay. Nevertheless, I have been told by developers on the beta team that  programs that modify the  cfg files run the risk of trashing the P3D install.  I feel that is solid enough to warrant a caution.

Vic

• Like 1

As a beta tester, I saw this show up several times during the testing.  Do not treat this lightly... if any application modifies any .cfg file for Prepar3D v4 without using the correct format, right down to the correct character set (seriously), the file is messed up and what happens next can be that the sim overwrites with a new, fresh file or worse... the sim crashes out with no error message as to why.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

1 minute ago, WarpD said:

As a beta tester, I saw this show up several times during the testing.  Do not treat this lightly... if any application modifies any .cfg file for Prepar3D v4 without using the correct format, right down to the correct character set (seriously), the file is messed up and what happens next can be that the sim overwrites with a new, fresh file or worse... the sim crashes out with no error message as to why.

In the IT business, we see this a good bit with applications designed to be compatible with Unicode. It is a minor, but very real, issue that has to be addressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarpD said:

As a beta tester

Nobody likes a show off Ed :)  

Ed,

Were talking about .exe programs that modify's .cfg files through an Add On control panel yes ? 

What about manually adding entries to .cfg files ?