Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Aerofly FS 2: Scenery Geoconvert Tool Coming Soon

Originally Posted by drhotwing1

http://www.ipacs.de/forum/showthread.php/8222-GeoConvert-Tool-coming-soon

For those of you who don't know this yet, there is a new tool that will be in your hands shortly that will allow for you to add your very own scenery to Aerofly FS2. This tool will make it easy for just about anyone to define an area that you want to fly over, obtain hi-res aerial imagery from applications like FSET (FSEarth Tiles), use the easy to use GeoConvert tool that IPACS has worked very hard to make as easy as possible, take the resulted image files and simply drop them into Aerofly FS 2. Want more? How about having access to the IPACS model library? Still want more? How about improved and easier tools to make your own airports, building models, add lighting, and add your airports to the location map. You don't even have to worry about the elevation layer, the conversion results will drop your scenery right over the existing elevation model of FS 2, instant and precise mountains, valleys, and water edges. 

Tutorials and easy to understand step by step instructions will be available to you, and of course much support from your friends here on the forums. 

Are you excited yet? 

Here are some sneak peeks of what can be achieved using this new tool. The results are spectacular:

Ornh28.jpg

bBhma5.jpg

oMM7vi.jpg

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Wait a moment. Let me read again. Is this real? Are you kidding right?

Nope. It's so simple even I can do it. :laugh:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Nope. It's so simple even I can do it. :laugh:

Confess. You knew this from long time and you kept it for yourself away from us plebs!
Now, what are we going to say against Aerofly? Oh those flat sceneries...

Amazing, Devon. Thank you very much, this is really an exciting news.

11 minutes ago, barrel_owl said:

Amazing, Devon. Thank you very much, this is really an exciting news.

Just one more incremental step in breaking the glass ceiling, and driving home that Aerofly is in earnest about becoming a serious player.

Devons rig

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Just one more incremental step in breaking the glass ceiling, and driving home that Aerofly is in earnest about becoming a serious player.

Certainly!. Waiting eagerly for this tool to make my own!.

Thanks for the information. Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

25 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

It's undeniably a good step, but Aerofly FS2 still needs some AI traffic, ATC and some demonstably more complex avionics in some of the aeroplanes before it will be anything other than a very good, if lonely VFR sim, and it is crying out for a decent chopper given that it does have such decent frame rates and lends itself well to low and slow. I hope that transpires, because its frame rates put all of the competition to shame, but I'm not holding my breath and expecting those other sorely-needed additions in short order.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

It's undeniably a good step, but Aerofly FS2 still needs some AI traffic, ATC and some demonstably more complex avionics in some of the aeroplanes before it will be anything other than a very good, if lonely VFR sim, and it is crying out for a decent chopper given that it does have such decent frame rates and lends itself well to low and slow. I hope that transpires, because its frame rates put all of the competition to shame, but I'm not holding my breath and expecting those other sorely-needed additions in short order.

LOL!

Of course, there is always something more. And more after that. And more after that.........

After 30 something years of FSX we still demand more. And we will keep on demanding until our sims slow to a crawl and break again, at which point we will probably cry piteously for 128bit. :biggrin:

Now, If FSX can't satisfy after 30 something years, then absolutely I don't expect Aerofly to have much luck in just one.

In fact, I think it's a sisyphean task. 

But...... in order to win, you must first begin.

• Upvote 4

Devons rig

That's very cool, like an Ortho4XP for AeroflyFS. I wanted to pick up Innsbruck when it was out, but worried there is nothing around it once you leave the coverage area.

4 hours ago, Chock said:

You can never get enough can you?

And the flight Dynamics too ...

They need the Devs attention, because as nice and fluid as AEFS2 is, there are aspects - basic ones - like prop effects at least on all of the default prop aircraft, with way too much roll and practically no yaw, but also fine tuning of aspects like that of ground effect, and so on, that actually aren't yet showing the true potential of the sim's FDM, not to mention the  very limited control over thrust modeling in jet engines ( looking into the conf files ), wheel drag on ground ( a lot of thrust being required on the airliners, or maybe rather a problem of ground thrust modelling ? ), mach effects, ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

6 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Originally Posted by drhotwing1

Are you excited yet? 

That's no doubt a very clever move creating an open development society. Some others may want to keep an eye on it. No doubt I'll try it.

I guess, we'll not be allowed to redistribute our creations as with Ortho4XP, right?

This year is stellar for flight simulation.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Very cool indeed but afaik the tool only creates flat photoreal so no (OSM based) autogen or anything. I presume those 3D models will have to be placed manually one by one. Creating airports will be quite a task already. I am sure there will come freeware airports made by others but in the beginning you will just have flat photoreal and no airports, no nothing. So yes, it is nice but limited. I also presume you can't share the photoreal scenery (officially) so everyone has to download and convert gigabytes of data themselves. Hundreds of GB if you want to cover a serious area. Again, great, but I just want to make sure no one gets too excited. :happy:

3 hours ago, tonywob said:

That's very cool, like an Ortho4XP for AeroflyFS. I wanted to pick up Innsbruck when it was out, but worried there is nothing around it once you leave the coverage area.

For that the tool may be great indeed. You have a very detailed area with LOWI and once you are high up in the sky flat photoreal around it becomes less of a problem.

Still, finding good sources can be pretty hard.

Things will become REALLY interesting (for me) when IPACS find an easy way to add autogen to the scenery.