Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

WAMA and AITX running on 64bit

Hi Olliver,

Just wondering how your products will fit into a 64 bit P3D ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Hi Julian,

unfortunately I don't know for sure. I don't get any advance access, and I have to wait until the release of the new SimConnect libraries. But I am pretty sure that they won't work in their current state.

Theoretically though, this shouldn't be a problem. All of my addons are managed code (C#), relying only on the SimConnect API, and with .Net, 32 vs 64 bit doesn't really matter. I am not using any hacks or dark magic, only lots of code ( WAMA is at 12470 lines of code currently, AITX 2.0 is at 32581 LOC). So generally speaking, a non-functional change in the API like the move to 64bit is usually only a couple of mouse clicks in my IDE, build the same program just with a different library and in 64bit configuration. And I will need a new installer, 64bit Windows apps get installed into a different place. My gauges are a different matter, as they are "classic" C++ (GDI+). But if I read the release anouncement from Lockheed correctly, then P3D V4 actually allows calling managed code DLLs directly now - this is a big deal for me (and for other developers I guess) because we can build gauges and systems simulations now, that are a lot easier to implement than they used to be - and we can build more powerful apps in the same time frame.

Things that could go wrong are usually functional changes in the API, if a method is no longer there or if it suddenly does something else. But that would be against the whole philosophy of providing an API - which was the reason why I have used this type of architecture in the first place.

All in all I am carefully optimistic that this will turn out well.

Best regards
Oliver Binder
Lorby-SI

LORBY-SI

Cheers thanks Oliver. Sounds like things might turn out very good. Certainly may open doors that were locked previously.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.